2008 Toyota Tacoma engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Tacoma:

2008 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Aug 092009

Inching into a parking space in a parking garage...throttle seemed to open all the way suddenly and with only three feet left to the wall the truck hit at full throttle doing $5,246 dollars in damage. Front grill; hood; front rt fender;front rt door; radiator; headlight all replaced. Have reported to Toyota corporate and told to take to dealership. Took to dealer originally and was told no recall on Tacoma. Have had two throttle sticks after while on freeway. Both only lasting 5 seconds or so.

- Panorama City, CA, USA

Jul 072009

Gas pedal got stuck on my Toyota Tacoma when passing. Reported to Toyota dealership 7/17/09

- Kaaawa, HI, USA

Dec 222008

Tacoma 6-cyl

On 08/24/08, my husband and I purchased a 2008 Toyota Tacoma truck. On 12/22/2008, he was coming to a stop at a traffic light behind another vehicle. Suddenly, without warning, the engine seemed to engage at full throttle. His right foot was not on the gas pedal, but on the brake pedal as it should be while waiting for the light to change to green. Startled, he put both feet on the brake pedal as the acceleration of the engine seemed to overtake the ability to brake. The truck lurched forward and hit the car in front which stopped the momentum and killed the engine. The acceleration and power of the engine was so great that this all happened in about 3-5 seconds. When he restarted the engine, everything seemed to be fine as the trucks computer seemed to reset itself. He reported this to Toyota and asked that the truck be checked out. When we went to pick up the truck at hooman Toyota, where a factory tech came to inspect it, he was told that the braking system was fine and acceleration system (pedal linkage) was fine as well. He was even told that the floor mat was unhooked and probably got stuck on top of the accelerator pedal. The floor mats were not unhooked when we dropped off the truck. My husband tried the floor mat on top of the pedal while stepping on the brake and the RPM did not go up much at all, certainly not enough to overpower the braking system as the tech suggested. We believe there was a computer malfunction and not a mechanical malfunction which was that the tech checked out. The case manager was informed of this before and after the inspection. After the recall notice on tv in August, we removed the floor mats from the truck, a second incident occurred 10/19/09 (with no floor mats) which did not result in an accident. We, again, brought the truck into the dealer and it was, once again, cleared to drive with no issues. There is clearly a huge problem with the vehicle and we are scared to drive it. Please help!

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jan 302010

Tacoma 4WD

On Feb. 30,2010 I and 2 passengers were riding around in my 2008 Toyota Tacoma pick-up truck in 4 wheel drive. There was snow on the ground and we were out checking out the neighborhood. We drove about 2 miles, visited two restaurants looking for my boat mechanic. When arriving at second restaurant, I was pulling into a parking space traveling approx. 5mph when I discovered the truck wasn't stopping or slowing, I stood on the brake and it kept pulling! we went straight into the wall of the restaurant. I cut truck off, gathered myself, cut truck on and backed out of the wall. My front seat passenger said wow, I saw you pressing the brake pedal hard, but the truck just kept going, what's up with that? I told him I did everything I could, it just kept pulling like it had a mind of it's own! so I shut off engine again, the manager of the restaurant came out and asked if we were all ok. I told him we were not injured and I was sorry for the wall. I went inside and called the police and my insurance company. I explained in both reports that the accelerator kept going even with the brake fully applied. Insurance company told me to take it to the body shop for repairs, I am waiting to get it back, but no one has advised me about the acceleration problem. I don't want this to occur again, someone could be killed or injured. I feel wronged by this incident, I take exceptional care of my vehicles, and this was my retirement truck. Now it has lost my trust, as well as lost resale value because it is now a wrecked vehicle, all this through no fault of my own! Toyota should replace my truck with a new one without defaults such as this, I paid cash for my truck, 28K as well as buying my wife a Toyota Solara convertible. I have placed alot of money and confidence in this company.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jan 312010

I was a passenger in my friend's 2008 Tacoma truck on 1/31/10. We were travelling from culpepper, va. To charlottesville when we pulled into a gas station and mcdonalds. As we pulled in the gas station we made a right hand turn and then a left hand turn pulling into the parking spot at normal parking speed(~ 5mph). As the driver put on the brake to stop it felt like the ABS adjusted to the slick surface and slid a little. This is when the front wheels locked up and the engine revved and the back tires started to spin very fast. At this point the truck climbed the concrete parking barrier, crossed the side walk, revved faster while the driver had his foot on the brake and put the truck in park. It proceeded to climb over a 2ft wall, crossed the bushes and crashed into the mcdonalds store front. This happened so fast and it seemed that the acceleration was stuck and the engine was revving and the back tires were spinning and pushing the truck forward. There were 3 of us in the truck and witnesses in the mcdonalds.

- Palmyra, VA, USA

Jan 312010

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while he was driving 5 mph into a parking space the engine revved excessively and the vehicle accelerated and crashed into the front of a restaurant. There were no injuries. A police report, case#2010-001110 was filed by the madison county sheriff department. The Toyota manufacturer stated that there was nothing wrong with the contact's vehicle and to have it towed to the dealer for inspection. The failure mileage was 49,300.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Oct 252008

I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma that I bought new in summer of 2008. I have had the accelerator pedal fail to return to the idle position on two occasions. On both occasions I was coming to a stop when the incident occurred and was able to stop the vehicle with the brakes but the vehicle surged ahead several feet before stopping. I did report this to the dealer but was told they could find no problem with the accelerator pedal.

- Elk, WA, USA

Jan 152010

This is a follow - up complaint. Stuck accelerator - again. Even after removing the floor mat. Has happened on average 2- 3 times a month. Car dealer does not know of a fix, , they can not replicate the situation that causes the malfunction. This problem is still ongoing and is my only means of transportation to work. An accident waiting to happen.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 052008

Toyota Tacoma (2008) accelerates while stopped and while driving, requiring to catch the vehicle with additional pressure to brakes to stop vehicle. In contact with the local dealer, told this was normal. This has occurred numerous times and is excused by Toyota as normal. Date indicated below is estimated first incident.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jan 102008

I was driving my 2008 Toyota Tacoma westbound on fm 1960 East of huffman Texas when I accelerated to pass a slower vehicle and the gas pedal stuck to the floor. After reaching a speed over 90 mph and closer to 100mph I began braking and moved to neutral and then began to slow. Being a two way, 2 lanes (total) highway I am fortunate there were no westbound cars or cars im my same direction. My wife and family friend were very upset as well because for 15 seconds we could not stop. I immediately removed the floor mat believing that was the cause.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Nov 152008

Our 2008 Toyota Tacoma prerunner experienced uncontrolled acceleration on 1/15/2008. We filed the event with NHTSA (refer to ODI 10248942, NHTSA action number DP08001 for all detail). That petition was denied. Note that, in NHTSA's response, there is a significant error in the vehicle year (the vehicle is 2008). The problem we experienced on 11/15/2008 has not repeated as of this date, but we are certain that we are still exposed to high risk of recurrence. In view of recent developments with Toyota (multiple recalls, etc), we request that NHTSA reconsider our case, and approve the petition, because a significant problem does in fact exist. Thank you.

- Comfort, TX, USA

Jan 262010

Tacoma 6-cyl

Toyota Tacoma 2008 please study this accident. It may relate to the gas pedal, so let Toyota know to recall this model too so to prevent an another fatal accident like my brother had. Upadat 9/19/2011

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 202009

2008 Toyota Tacoma upon slowing and applying brake, vehicle suddenly accelerated and brake could not stop it. The tires were spinning and vehicle was vibrating, tires were smoking. It stopped racing when ignition was turned off.

- Douglass, TX, USA

Dec 292009

Unintended acceleration in a 2008 Toyota Tacoma.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Dec 042009

I was stopped at a traffic light when I felt the brake "give" and then the engine began to accelerate. No amount of pushing on the brake would stop the engine. The tires were smoking and squealing and the vehicle was lurching. Only shutting off the engine stopped the racing engine. The floor mat was not involved.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Oct 192009

Driving downhill @45mph and let off the gas but it accelerated even more, put brake on and still didn't slow down, once down the hill it finally kicked into gear.. it does this regularly, almost daily. Seems to not kick into gear, especially 3rd and 4th gears.

- Lago Vista, TX, USA

Nov 252009

While driving N from denver on I-25 on 11-25-2009, speed limit of 75mph, I had the cruise control operating set at a speed of 75-77 mph. There was no feet on either gas or brake pedal. Not until I found the Tacoma truck cruising at a speed above 90mph did I realize something was wrong w/the truck. I used the brake pedal and disengaged the cruise control and the vehicle came under my control. After re-setting the cruise control to 75 +/- mph, to test the issue, it occurred again. I chose to complete the trip w/O cruise control w/ diligent oversite.

- Loveland, CO, USA

Dec 222007

Ongoing Toyota accelerator surge. This cannot be a floor mat problem unless the floor mats are alive. I have experienced periodic surges after I have been completely stopped for a period of time, like at a stop light. Vehicle will move forward but so far the accelerator hasn't stuck causing a crash.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Sep 012009

My accelerator stuck two different times during a recent drive to work. Though I believe it was due to the floor mat problem that has prompted the recent recall, my attempt to get answers from the local Toyota dealership prompted a response that Toyota hadn't figured out how to fix it yet and they were drilling holes in the back of the mat and using zip ties to secure the mat to the front of the seat frame. That was not how I wanted if fixed. Attempts to contact Toyota of America resulted in lots of recorded messages and nothing more. I have yet to receive any official recall notice, but, having had the two frightening experiences, I feel the problem needs to be addressed immediately by the manufacturer. And it needs to be more than instructions to remove the mat.

- Florence, MT, USA

Aug 092009

I was driving westbound on I-90 (kennedy expressway) at approximately 9:40 am on Saturday, August 8, 2009, in my 2008 Toyota Tacoma. I was traveling at approximately 40 mph when I applied the brakes as a car in front of me slowed to exit the expressway. When the vehicle in front of me exited, I stepped on the gas pedal and my truck immediately began to accelerate at a high rate of speed. I slammed on the brakes but the truck continued to accelerate, eventually reaching 80 mph. I steered the truck into the far right lane and was now pressing as hard as I could with both feet on the brake pedal. I was able to get the truck down to approximately 25 mph, at which point I drove onto the shoulder and put the truck in neutral and then park, where the truck finally came to a stop. The entire incident lasted less than 30 seconds. Within 15 minutes an idiot truck pulled up behind me and towed me a short distance up the expressway to a safety area, where I waited for the aaa tow truck to arrive. I had the vehicle towed to the Toyota dealer where I had purchased it less than 2 years before. The dealer kept my truck until August 13, and I was told that the reason the truck accelerated was because the gas pedal got stuck under the heavy duty floor mats which I had purchased from the dealer at the time I bought my truck. I told the service manager there was absolutely no way the pedal had gotten stuck underneath the floor mat, because the floor mat was not positioned so far forward that the pedal could have gotten stuck on it. The service manager told me the only way they got the truck to replicate what had happened to me was when the gas pedal got stuck on the floor mat, but I let him know that I strongly disagreed with what he was telling me. I know the gas pedal did not get stuck under the floor mat in this incident. I told the service manager to remove my floor mats, because if this ever happened again I did not want Toyota to be able to use the floor mats as an excuse.

- Oak Park, IL, USA