8.1

2009 Toyota Tacoma seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Tacoma:

2009 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Aug 072013

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V604000 (suspension) and 13V337000 (seat belts); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Clinton, IA, USA

Apr 302010

Tacoma

Seatbelt inertia reel locks up under normal (non emergency) driving maneuvers, such as normal stops, low speed curves, etc. Seat belt will not unlock, thereby pinning driver to seat. Driver is trapped in seat for several moments until seatbelt decides to release. This is a problem because, while pinned to seat, driver cannot lean forward to look out windows and mirrors--which often need to be done quickly to maintain situational awareness. Dealer refuses to acknowledge or fix problem.

- Waxhaw, NC, USA

Apr 062010

Tacoma

I have an '09 Toyota Tacoma extra cab. When I exit the vehicle the seat belt gets caught on my shoulder and twists in such a way as to not retract properly. If I then open the rear door, the belt will always get trapped by the bottom of the rear door when I close it. Since the belt is not in the proper place and not secured by the proper anchor point I feel that in the event of an accident the seat belt will not be able to hold my hips in the seat and result in my sliding under the belt. On more than one occasion I have had to break hard to avoid in-attentive drivers and felt the belt suddenly go slack as I was sliding forward in my seat. I mentioned this to my local dealer, showed him the problem and his only reply was "seems to be a bad design". is this the best they can do; call it a design flaw? this has happened more than once, today included.

- South Chatham, MA, USA