2012 Toyota Tacoma engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Tacoma:

2012 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Sep 122016

Tacoma

Tacoma went in "limp mode" engine light and trac off light illuminated; cause the car to be extremely under power. Vehicle extremely under power causing to be dangerous in traffic. Code P2442 secondary injection system failure; common to other Toyota vehicles including Tundra's. Toyota acted resumable with Tundra's with extending warranty repairing but at this time refuses to repair known failures in Tacoma's.

- Catlettsburg, KY, USA

Jun 302016

Tacoma

I started my Tacoma, the check engine light and trk off lights were on and after taking them to the dealer learned that the vechile was in limp mode. The truck will not easily accelerate beyond 30mph. This is caused by error code P2442 and P2440, from a known faulty part that Toyota refuses to replace.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Jun 282016

Tacoma

I took my 2012 Tacoma into service today with a trac off and check engine light on. I was told that the secondary air injection switching valve needed replaced at the tune of $1300. I see that many others have had this issue and with 37K miles, I find it unreal that this isn't covered under the powertrain warranty.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Jun 212015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Tacoma. While attempting to switch the vehicle to four wheel drive, a loud abnormal noise was heard. The vehicle suddenly accelerated with the brake pedal depressed. The contact shifted the gear into neutral; however, the vehicle continued to accelerate. The contact was able to bring the vehicle to a stop by depressing the brake pedal with force. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Willmington , NC, USA

Jan 072013

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while coming to a stop, the vehicle accelerated independently. The failure occurred twice. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5,000.

- Ipswich, MA, USA

May 232014

Tacoma 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle violently surged forward. The contact was not able to control the vehicle and crashed into a tree. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to the neck, the back and the hands that required medical attention. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was unknown. Updated 10/23/2014 updated 05/21/2015

- Winterville, GA, USA

Feb 192014

Tacoma

After driving for 2 hours at highway speed (65) mph I exited the highway to a intersection with a red light. Upon applying the brakes to come to a stop the vehicle accelerated forward on its own. I was only able to stop a collision by putting the truck into neutral. I could not stop the vehicle by only using the brakes. The engine over revolutions but came back to a idle in just a few seconds. I have not experienced this in the past two years that I have owned this vehicle. I was not towing anything and the vehicle was not loaded with any additional weight. I am the only driver. I continued on with my trip and have not experienced this again as of this date. 02/20/2014

- Cranberry Twp, PA, USA

Feb 172014

Tacoma 6-cyl

Vehicle jumps from rear upon acceleration from stop position.

- Medford, NY, USA

Nov 052012

Tacoma

My Tacoma tends to surge forward when it is stopped. I do not think it has anything to do with the air conditioner being on.I had the A/C off the first time. If someone isn't on the brake firmly they may tap the vehicle in front of them.

- Leland, NC, USA

Aug 012012

Tacoma

My Tacoma tends to surge forward when it is stopped. I think it has something to do with the air conditioner being on. If someone isn't on the brake firmly they may tap the vehicle in front of them.

- Elmhurst Twp, PA, USA