3.3

2012 Toyota Tacoma fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Tacoma:

2012 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Jan 082017

Tacoma

Vehicle stumbled and engine almost died while making a turn in front of incoming traffic with my one year old daughter in the truck. Mil on with code P2442 reported, secondary air injection malfunction. This 2012 Tacoma is Toyota certified with 34,216 miles, spoke with multiple Toyota representatives and all have stated this is not a warrantied item. This malfunction is common on other Toyota trucks which have extended warranties on the same emission component in question. This problem is both a safety hazard and an emissions hazard. It needs to be addressed.

- Everett, WA, USA

Jan 052017

Tacoma

Secondary air injection system truck would not accelerate and lost power. I've noticed it has done this since new. I now have 37,000 miles on it and have received messages check engine light and trac off messages. This is very dangerous as you have no engine power when entering into traffic. The truck will not go over 35 miles an hour and takes for ever to gain speed.

- Everett, WA, USA

Dec 202016

Tacoma

Driving on the street to work one morning, the trac off and check engine lights both suddenly appeared. I then noticed that my truck was not able to accelerate past ~40 mph. Going uphill, my truck was limited to only ~20 mph. My truck went into this "safe mode." I connected an obd device and the came up with the following two codes: P2440 and P2442. The codes refer to "secondary air injection system switching valve stuck open" for banks 1 and 2, respectively. I did some further research on the codes, and it turns out this is a common issue on 2012 Tacoma. Apparently, the valve for the secondary air injection system is stuck open due to moisture and/or carb build up. I believe this is a design/engineering issue. Part replacement costs ~$480 for each valve assembly. Labor can range anywhere between $200-$500. If this is a known issue that is common to a lot of 2012 Tacoma, then I believe Toyota should be proactive such as releasing an official recall or even implement some type of reimbursement. Note that my truck has ~80,000 miles on it. As an owner, I shouldn't suffer from an engineering design flaw and I shouldn't be financially responsible to repair/fix the issue. Any assistance would be helpful. Thank you and happy holidays!

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 302016

Tacoma

Secondary air injection system: Started the vehicle and check engine light came on. Obd read P2440/P2442. While driving uphill on a very busy highway, the vehicle loss power and would not go faster than 20mph and the RPM's rammed up. After some some research found out this is a common problem with the Tacoma in which Toyota was aware of.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Sep 132016

Tacoma

The air injection pump went out and had to be replaced, and there is only 18,200 miles on the vehicle. The check engine light came on while driving, and I was able to drive the vehicle to the dealership before "safe mode" kicked in. Toyota was able to replace the defective part. I understand from reading on the internet that this is turning out to be a common problem for this vehicle, and wish to add my experience to the list.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 192016

Tacoma

My 2012 Tacoma with 45,000 miles got a check engine light and "trac off" light when I started it to go home. I was merging onto the interstate and unable to go above 40 mph. This was obviously not safe so I exited and took it to a dealer. They cited trouble codes P2440 and P2442 and said they needed to replace secondary air injection valve (pn 25710-31022) for a total cost of $940! according to forums and the NHTSA.gov site, this is a very common complaint with this year and model. I just bought this last July and I never expected to have to replace parts anytime soon.

- Shueyville, IA, USA

Jul 162016

Tacoma

My 2012 Toyota Tacoma prerunner 2wd has 54,640 miles. I just got a check engine light and "trac off" light yesterday. My truck would accelerate to just 25 mph when merging onto the interstate and top speed was around 50 mph. This is a serious safety issue and Toyota will not cover this known problem under the standard 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. Autozone ran the diagnostic scan and came up with trouble codes P2440 and P2442. These are tied to the secondary air injection system and switching valves. The Toyota dealership said this would cost me close to $2000 to repair. I paid $30,000 for this vehicle brand new just 4 years ago. This needs to become a class action lawsuit so that a safety recall is issued for Toyota to repair this known defect for free.

- Arlington, TN, USA

Jun 282016

Tacoma

I took my 2012 Tacoma into service today with a trac off and check engine light on. I was told that the secondary air injection switching valve needed replaced at the tune of $1300. I see that many others have had this issue and with 37K miles, I find it unreal that this isn't covered under the powertrain warranty.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Jun 132016

Tacoma

Only 49,000 miles on my $32,000 truck and like many other owners of 2012 Tacoma I have the check engine light come on with the trac off light and giving the diagnostic code of P2442 secondary air injection switching valve. This is clearly a emissions and manufacturing problem with this year and Toyota should have to foot the bill instead of charging us $2,100 for a fix a a practically new expensive truck. The air injection valve is part of emissions and should be covered and a tsb or recall should be issued for this. When this valve goes out typically every 50,000 it renders your truck useless and puts it into safe mode not allowing you to go more than 35-40 mph. Needless to say this speed just doesn't work on the highway to travel to work and unless you fork over the $2,100 to have it fixed then you have to find another way to work. This is such a scam on Toyota part and I am outraged that after purchasing over 4 Toyota vehicles from them they don't stand by their product to fix the problem.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 312016

Tacoma

The secondary air injection systems seems to fail quite frequently on these 2012 Tacoma with little to no help from Toyota to take care of this issue as a recall. These are known to fail right after your out of warranty and to charge it's loyal customers over $1000 for a part that should not fail or a part that should be covered is absurd. I have been a loyal Toyota customer my whole life but the issues of the Tacoma are making me rethink my decisions as an automotive consumer

- Arlington, TX, USA

Mar 042016

Tacoma

While on highway doing 65mph, vehicle slowed to 50, to 40, to 30, to 20 by itself. Pulled over, placed back into gear, vehicle only went 40 mph downhill, 20 mph uphill. Drove to Toyota dealer who said this was third Tacoma this week with faulty second air fuel injector. No recall yet, but 3 weeks for back order of part. 43 others before my part request. Same part on recall for Tundra model. Safety was compromised on highway because of automatic deceleration

- Decatur, GA, USA

Aug 012012

Tacoma

Fuel system can be heard hours after the truck is parked, few times a week and sometimes daily.and runs 2 to 15 minutes. Contacted dealer and says it normal for fuel evap to do a system check. Ongoing started before 3000 miles

- Jenkinsburg, GA, USA

Nov 052012

Tacoma

My Tacoma tends to surge forward when it is stopped. I do not think it has anything to do with the air conditioner being on.I had the A/C off the first time. If someone isn't on the brake firmly they may tap the vehicle in front of them.

- Leland, NC, USA

Aug 012012

Tacoma

My Tacoma tends to surge forward when it is stopped. I think it has something to do with the air conditioner being on. If someone isn't on the brake firmly they may tap the vehicle in front of them.

- Elmhurst Twp, PA, USA