4.2

2013 Toyota Tacoma brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Tacoma:

2013 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Oct 082016

Tacoma

2013 Tacoma, from parked position, started truck, release parking brake, foot on brake pedal, shifted to drive, accelerated, move about 5-10 feet truck acted as if brakes had been applied, would not move. I placed truck in park position shifted to drive and proceeded as normal. This happened two more times that same day about 20 minutes apart.

- Frankfort, KY, USA

Aug 072016

Tacoma

I have been running the same wheels and tires on the vehicle since it was brand new, running 17" aluminum wheels with a 10- ply rated 265/70/17 Michelin lt which is a standard size for this vehicle. At about 47,000 miles the traction control on my Tacoma started acting up badly making it very dangerous to drive on mountain roads with super-elevated turns. Basically the truck thinks it is sliding when it's not even close to breaking loose at 35 mph. The sensors or computer is failing causing the right front or left front wheel to pulse (apply brake pressure) which results in the vehicle pulling in the opposite direction I am steering. This is at low speed 35 to 40 mph. This is a very dangerous situation and I explained that the vehicle is 'pulling me across the center line into on coming traffic which could cause a head on collision and I got no response other than " if my shop foreman tells me the truck is operating as designed there is nothing more we can do or you. When I called it to the attention of the service manager and shop foreman at northridge Toyota, I was told the vehicle shows no errors so the truck is "operating as designed' and their suggestion was to deactivate the traction control from now on, each time I drive a mountain road. I explained that they were asking me to deactivate the on board safety measures on the vehicle in order to drive the truck in the highest risk driving conditions, they again said the truck was operating as designed and that I should not expect their to be any repairs made. This is absolutely inexcusable. They went on to suggest I seek a second opinion at another dealer and they sent me down the road in my truck even though I told them the symptoms, duplicated the problem with shop foreman in the truck and most importantly that the truck was unsafe to drive. Fascinating!!!

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA

May 312015

Tacoma

What happens: The front anti-lock brakes independently actuate for approximately.5-2.5 seconds. When: Turning left 90%, right 8% and forward 2% the most frequent is a left turn where the bank of the road is at a significant angle. It is terrifying on a mountain road to have your front end dive down and loose control. My nerves are on edge with every turn, wondering if the truck is going to do its dive. My girlfriend refuses to ride in the vehicle because of it. It started happening approximately a year ago and I had faith Toyota would come out with a fix. Toyota hasn't and there are numerous articles/complaints about the exact issue. It is a serious problem, especially on winding roads with oncoming traffic. And only a matter of time before something horrific happens. That one inexperienced driver that doesn't react quickly enough. Please put out the fix before the accident happens.

- Longmont, CO, USA

May 062015

Tacoma

Driving to work traveling at between 55-60 I was going around a slight curve my foot was on the accelerator and out of no where the ABS or stability control or something caused my truck to slam on the brakes causing the front to dive down and a temporary loss of control. No crash just spooked. I drive the route every day the same way never had this happen before. The skid indicator was flashing but no noticeable skid. I am sensitive to that feeling and there was none detected prior to this happening.

- Pawling, NY, USA