2013 Toyota Tacoma steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Tacoma:

2013 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

May 032014

I took my 4 wheel drive truck on a dirt road, it has small embedded rocks on it, people also drive cars on this road it is no big nasty dirt road, it felt like the front wheels were going to fall off and I was wondering if I was going to actually make it out of the 9 mile dirt road, I got back to the highway and took my tire wrench and checked all my lug nuts and to me they were all 1/2 turn loose, I took it to victory Toyota and they took it on a dirt parking lot and I told them it needed to be more rough and they seemed like they did not care, so they put on invoice could not duplicate problem and sent me on my way, now I took it into Toyota before the date I put on I just cant find invoices for it, I took it to lavender brothers and put on a 2 1/2 inch lift kit on it and I was hoping that was going to fix the problem but it did not, I have taken it back to victory Toyota 6 times for same problem and they take it out to the same dirt parking lot and put down cannot duplicate customers concern, I told them I was willing to even pay for it to get fixed but they just don't seemed to care I even asked some of them if you drive 30 miles to this road I will give you 300 dollars and no one took it, I tell them every time the dirt road is not rough enough and if they could go with me to this particular dirt road they would know without a doubt what I am talking about but they don't want to go the extra mile for a customer that just spent 35,000 and did not go on a vacation in 5 years to save for this truck, so now the steering at times feels loose in the steering wheel and just sometimes when I turn the wheels all the way to one side or the other and start to roll it makes a real nasty noise, its sad to have a new truck with 8700 miles on it and I don't really feel safe and I am going on vacation at the end of July and I am taking my truck and I just hope everything is ok.

- Seaside, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Tacoma 6-cyl

When braking between 45-65 mph, I can feel a strong shimmy and shaking in the steering wheel. I have to let off the brakes or it feels like something is going to break in the drive train, steering column, or wheels are going to fall off. Its very scary and dangerous, especially when you might not be able to stop the vehicle. I've asked the Toyota dealer to check it once and they didn't do anything to fix the problem. This is particularly unsafe when driving 95 or the turnpike, and you have to brake hard at times.

- Port St Lucie , FL, USA

Sep 052014

Tacoma 4WD 4-cyl

When at cruising speed between 45-65 mph the steering wheel will begin to shake back and fourth/shimmy. Also at these speeds the engine begins to make noise compared to up and down revving sound it is mild sound maybe a 1000rpm change but the RPM gauge is not moving. Reminder this is in cruise mode.

- Allegany, NY, USA

Sep 032014

The contact owns 2013 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph making a right turn, the steering wheel became hard to maneuver and the tires made a dragging sound. The ABS and traction control system warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician was unable to locate a problem. The manufacturer was notified of the failure informed the contact that the VIN was not included in recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V054000 (electronic stability control, service brakes, hydraulic). The approximate failure mileage was 3,053.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Jun 012013

Tacoma 6-cyl

Vehicle problem since new, steering wheel shake at speeds between 45-75mph. Took to dealer stated that they new of the problem and there was nothing they can do. Tech drove the vehicle and stated that he felt nothing when the shimmy was quit obvious (I was sitting next to him). Have taken to other local shops and they are unable to remedy the shake. Shake causes passenger seat to shake as well truck bed to hop. Toyota of America is well aware of this problem and has shown no effort to remedy the problem. Many cases documented on Toyota forums and blogs. Toyota has had to deal with arbitration from many consumers and all cases have been turned down. A major investigation on this problem needs to be done. Owners of the Tacoma, 4runner and Tundra have had the issue.

- Brownsville , TX, USA

Mar 132013

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 6 and the current mileage was 11,000.

- Ronkonkoma, NY, USA