2014 Toyota Tacoma brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota Tacoma:

2014 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Nov 302015

The contact owned a 2014 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the driver was driving at 35 mph, when the vehicle accelerated independently and the brakes failed to respond when the brake pedal was depressed. As a result, the contact crashed into the rear end of another vehicle. The driver side air bag deployed but the passenger air bag failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained a fractured rib and the driver had a fractured left arm and rib which required medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 28,000.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Dec 042015

When stepping on brake pedal it slowly goes to the floor 0N boat ramp un loading boat

- Hazel Green, AL, USA

Jul 302015

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Tacoma. While driving at 5 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but it took an abnormal amount of time to stop the vehicle. When the brakes were engaged, the vehicle stopped abruptly. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake pad fractured from the vehicle. The technician diagnosed that the rotors, pads, and discs needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 23,500. The VIN was unavailable.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 102015

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while driving approximately 2 mph, the brake pedal was depressed all the way to the floorboard causing the contacts foot to depress the accelerator pedal. As a result, the vehicle accelerated, the brake pedal failed to respond, and crashed into a telephone pole. The contact did not disclose if a police report was filed or not. The failure recurred on two other occasions nearly resulting in crashes. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the failure was unable to be determined. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 18,900.

- Kenner, LA, USA

Feb 282015

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that when the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle accelerated independently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5,000.....updated 04/23/15 updated 11/12/15/2015

- Monticello , IN, USA

Jan 142015

The ABS system on this truck is very unpredictable and unsafe. I have had 3 incidents where the ABS system disabled all braking power to the wheels and just coasted to a stop narrowly missing other vehicles. This happens maybe 10 percent of the time when driving on snowy roads. When this happens there is no pulsing from the ABS system it is just a dead brake pedal. The other 90% of the time the ABS will pulse and the truck will stop just fine. I have gone driving in the snow to intentionally try to recreate this situation and I could only get the vehicle to do this non braking effect once. The other times the ABS pulsed and stopped fine. Many other people are having similar issues with Toyota Tacoma and it is well documented online at websites like many people are resorting to removing the ABS fuse from their truck in order to have a safer and more predictable vehicle. None of the other ABS equipped vehicles I have owned have ever performed like this. It is very dangerous to drive as you never know how much distance you will need to stop.

- Norton, MA, USA

Dec 222014

There are two problems occurring with this vehicle. One is the key will not turn ignition switch at all. I was at the grocery store for half an hour trying to turn on my truck and the key would not turn. Not even enough to turn a.C/heat etc. This has happened on several occasions already. The other issue that scares me is the brakes. It started off as a louder than usual squeaking of the brakes only while reversing. Then when braking, it feels as if the ABS kicks in then let's go. This happens often, even in my driveway going less than 2 mpg. The brake pedal feels extremely soft when pressed and the pedal nearly hits the floor. It's happened twice where the brakes feel like they lock while I'm driving and at times the truck will not stop appropriately. The road has usually been dry on in these case.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 302014

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The brakes are "fading" after stopping at a light. By "fading", I mean that the brake pedal will require more pressure after the vehicle has been sitting for at a stop for a time. This is another huge safety issue, because this is causing me to inch forward (so slow), that I don't recognize it, right away, sometimes, and I'm drifting into the stopped vehicle in front of me. I have had multiple drivers, drive the same vehicle, and they can (also) confirm that this is happening with the above vehicle. I (also), reported this issue to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle new and they told me that there was nothing wrong with the brakes. I plan on taking the vehicle back to have it re-inspected. It currently has 5,000 miles.

- Gresham, OR, USA

Dec 042013

Tacoma 6-cyl

First let me start with how I ended up with this horrible vehicle. We had a 2012 Chevy diesel, amazing truck, great truck. Diesel prices had been rising and was just costing to much to drive and we wanted to start saving some money. We shopped around and ended up looking at the Toyota Tacoma, not the best quality but none the less decent gas mileage (or so we thought). Since day one we have not been able to get better then 15 mpg on the highway! absolutely ridiculous! 14 city! have had fuel efficiency test done and that's what they came up with as well and claim nothing is wrong. Corporate refuses to do anything and claim nothing is wrong, yet everyone I know with this same truck is getting no less then 18 mpg highway. I hope I'm the only one dealing with this because the small truck gets worse gas mileage then any full size truck I've ever owned. I will never buy a Toyota again nor will anyone I know or anyone in my family. Stay as far away as possible for Toyota. Now onto the track control, it likes to activate at random. If your sitting at a stand still and try to drive forward with just the slightest roll back it goes crazy! and the brakes, if your going down a hill and you use the brake for more then roughly 30 sec it will start to vibrate, make a horrible grinding noise and the steering wheel starts shaking.... the quality of this vehicle is poor and I must add that they do not stand behind their product nor with they fix it. All they will tell you is "well sorry if your unhappy with your vehicle, we will send you arbitration paperwork."

- Pine Mountain Club, CA, USA