6.4

2014 Toyota Tacoma electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota Tacoma:

2014 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Jan 012016

Tacoma

Rodents ate wiring harness in engine compartment, while driving in the city, the trac and check engine light cane on. I returned home and retrieved error code P0333 on my reader. I took vehicle to doxon Toyota for service / repair. They confirmed code and said that rodents had chewed knock sensor wire harness. I was told that tis was not covered by warranty even though the vehicle was less than two years and less than 9000 miles of use. I consider that making electrical components out of material that is attractive and tasty to rodents a traction and air-bag safety concern, I.e. soybean based wire insulation. I have been operating motor vehicles since 1963 and have never had this happen to ant vehicle I have owned.

- Kent, WA, USA

Dec 182015

Tacoma

Rodents caused over $3,000 in damage by chewing on cables that are made from one or more of the following (soy, rice husks, wood, sugar, vanilla, peanut oil, and straw; references: www.synlube.com/incredibleediblecar1.htm ; www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#Q=why+do+rodents+eat+cables+on+cars+made+in+Japan ; google: Rodent damage Toyota ). Toyota refuses to pay for the damage. My auto insurance said it might pay (still waiting to find out) for the damage, but there is a $501 deductible. Toyota is the worst offender of making edible vehicles. If I had known this in advance, I would researched to see which vehicles have edible cables. I will be selling my 2015 Tacoma asap and finding another pick-up asap that rodents won't eat. My brother lives in the mountains in New Mexico where there are many varmits, and they never ate the wiring on his old Chevy Tahoe, but rodents have chewed on the wiring of my Toyota Tacoma, and my mother's Toyota 4-runner, and a friends Nissan marano. The proof of tasty cables attracting rodents is overwhelming. My engine light came on, the engine was running rough, and the trac off light appeared. I took it to the Toyota dealership immediately (in lewisville, tx) the next morning at 8:50am. Numerous cables were damaged and many parts had to be removed to repair the damage. The problem is, if they replace it with more tasty cables, the same thing will happen. The vehicle was stationary on the driveway by the garage. There is already a car in the garage and some tools, and my pick-up is too large for the garage.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Dec 222014

Tacoma

There are two problems occurring with this vehicle. One is the key will not turn ignition switch at all. I was at the grocery store for half an hour trying to turn on my truck and the key would not turn. Not even enough to turn a.C/heat etc. This has happened on several occasions already. The other issue that scares me is the brakes. It started off as a louder than usual squeaking of the brakes only while reversing. Then when braking, it feels as if the ABS kicks in then let's go. This happens often, even in my driveway going less than 2 mpg. The brake pedal feels extremely soft when pressed and the pedal nearly hits the floor. It's happened twice where the brakes feel like they lock while I'm driving and at times the truck will not stop appropriately. The road has usually been dry on in these case.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 292013

Tacoma 6-cyl

First 3 weeks ago or so my radio shut itself off then on again, repeated that 3 time since then. Seatbelt chime went off like I just started driving again while I was driving. Dash transmission indicator light faded and re-lit. While parked and engine running trac control off light and auto lsd light came on. Today 6/3/14 the radio totally reset back to a different station when I turned truck on.

- La Verkin, UT, USA