2. replace the frame (2 reports)
  3. replace frame (1 reports)
2001 Toyota Tundra body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Tundra:

2001 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Jan 142014

Tundra SR5 TRD V8

Took my vehicle in under the recall campaign and was told my frame would be fine, 2012 ( they should have replaced the frame like it should have been under the recall). They sprayed the truck TWICE since the CRC spray wouldn't stay adhered to the frame. Truck had 52000 miles on it. Dealer tech noticed CRC was falling off in 2014. In 2015 the dealer tech noted it on the service report that CRC was almost gone from frame, mileage 58000 miles. June 2015 gas tank broke away from frame while driving on the interstate. Straps were never replaced under the recall like they were supposed to be. Took two months but finally got Toyota to replace the straps and tank. Technician had to relocate front strap due to gaping holes in the frame.

Contacted Toyota Corp and after two months of constant calls and e-mails, they finally stopped all communication with me. The NHTSA doesn't seem to be doing anything about it, along with my state's AG office. Have had numerous correspondence with both depts. and they seem to just let it slide through the crack. Contacted local media and they are getting stonewalled too. Toyota needs to follow thru with this failed recall campaign and replace my rotted out frame. Truck is in excellent condition, minus the frame.

I can't believe the NHTSA hasn't stepped in with the mounting complaints with the same issue. Toyota kicked the can down the street hoping the problem would go away and it hasn't. The CRC spray didn't work and they know it.

- , Allenton, WI, USA

Apr 012012

Tundra V8

From the many complaints re the failure of the CRC application to remedy the 2000-2003 rusted Toyota Tundra frames in the service campaign, Toyota needs to remedy the situation and ensure their customers are driving safe vehicles. There is clearly a pattern, from the numerous complaints, the the CRC application was ineffective. The investigation needs to be re-opened before consumers and other bystanders are injured and/or killed when these defective frames fail.

Please help.

- , Millers, MD, USA

Apr 192012

Tundra V8

In 2012, I had my 2001 Tundra inspected due to frames rusting in Safety Recall 90M. Dealership sprayed frame with corrosive resistant compound, saying the frame did not need to be replaced as there was no perforations. In 2015, an independent auto shop recommended I immediately take the vehicle to Toyota dealer due to significant rust on frame.

When I arrived at the Toyota dealership and explained the problem, the staff inspected vehicle at no charge and found rust perforation on frame and strongly recommended that I contact Toy headquarters and explain the vehicle is unsafe to drive. This Toy dealership felt the frame needed to be replaced and explained that they have encountered numerous Tundras (involved in the Safety Recall) where the CRC "intervention" had failed to address the rust problem and that this dealership had replaced numerous frames even after the "service campaign" had expired.

I contacted Toy headquarters immediately and I immediately received the run-around. I was told that since the "service campaign" had expired in 2012, Toyota would not assist me even though the intervention had failed. The Toyota dealership is unable to replace the frame without Toy headquarters approval. The Toy dealership recommended that I keep contacting headquarters to complain about the unresolved issue as the dealership advised that compromised frame could fold up upon myself and passengers in a collision.

I contacted headquarter again and spoke with staff at the Consumer Experience Center [Heather] who ultimately referred me back to my Case Manager [Autumn]. After I continued to express my concerns about my safety and the safety of others, she requested a supervisor contact me in one business day. However, Heather informed me that I would be given the same message: Toy will do nothing. It seems that Toyota headquarters provided Tundra owners a solution that would only MASK the problem until the campaign expired...and then washed their hands of the issue.

- , Millers, MD, USA

Dec 292014

Tundra LX 8

On 11//18/2009 2001 Toyota Tundra’s were recalled for excessive corrosion of the rear cross member. I received a recall and took my truck to TJ Toyota, Potsdam, NY for an inspection in October of 2012. At that time, I was informed that the truck frame passed inspection and was good. They did replace two gas tank straps and told me the undercoating that should be sprayed on it as part of the recall was not available. I never received any addition correspondence regarding the undercoating.

On December 23, 2014 I took my truck to TJ Toyota for a trailer light whip repair. I was informed that the converter box was burned out and there was excessive corrosion in the connection point of the converter to the truck whip. At that time, the mechanic had me look at the frame rail. It is rusted so bad I could see right through the rail. The connection of this rail to the frame has excessive scaling. The truck was due for an inspection at the end of the month, and I was told they would not do an inspection. The mechanic continued to tell me he felt the truck was “junk” unsuitable for towing anything.

I called 1-800-331-4331 at Toyota and spoke with Terence, Nicole and John. My case number regarding this recall is 150160367. Nicole processed a conference call with herself, Roger at TJ Toyota and me. Nicole told me to take the truck back to TJ Toyota to redo the frame inspection and if it failed, Toyota would replace the frame. However, Roger, from TJ Toyota stated it is not corroded on the frame but it is on the rail connecting to the frame. I asked what they would for me and he stated, spray it with undercoating. I asked what that would do for the truck at this point and Roger stated “NOTHING”.

Living in Northern, NY winter roads are salted heavily. If this vehicle was never undercoated or protected for rust, the fact that the rails are rusted is due to not being prepared for driving in winter weather areas. I find it very difficult to believe that in 2012 my truck frame and under carriage was in as good a condition as the inspection dictated. If in two years a Toyota truck frame goes from good to junk, there is a problem some place.

I purchased my truck in 2005 for $19,500 with $42,000 miles on it from Rt. 56 Auto in Potsdam, NY. Within a year, the truck was rusting out excessively around ALL the wheel wall trim. I went to TJ Toyota to inquire about a paint warranty. I was told it had no warranty on paint. He inquired about where I purchased vehicle. I feel that because I didn’t purchase the vehicle directly from TJ Toyota I have received less than adequate customer service. I believe not undercoating the vehicle led to this rust problems as well.

This truck is my only means of transportation. My vehicle has 164,000 miles but I was a believer in the Toyota philosophy that they run forever! Had I known the truck was in this shape, I would have not invested $2,000 in repairs since 2012. I believe the result of the inspection in 2012 was incorrect.

The truck’s Blue Book Value is $4,500 and I can’t even sell it or trade it. I am asking Toyota to grant me another inspection at a different Toyota dealer ASAP. I cannot take this vehicle off the road because I have no other means of transportation to and from work. I have no choice but to drive this vehicle until a satisfactory settlement from Toyota. I am experiencing rear brake difficulty as well and wonder if this is related to the recall.

- , Norwood, NY, USA

Aug 102002

Tundra SR5 4.7L

its really bad almost to the point the frame will brake in two.

- , Kewadin, MI, USA