2001 Toyota Tundra body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Tundra:

2001 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Oct 132009

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tundra. The frame on his vehicle has corroded. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but no assistance was provided. The failure mileage 39,300.

- Lexington, MA, USA

Dec 052009

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tundra. The frame of the vehicle has corroded. A technician from the dealer stated that since the failure was surface corrosion they could not provide a remedy. The Toyota manufacturer was notified, but no assistance was provided. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- East Falmouth, MA, USA

Dec 072009

2001 Toyota Tundra frame rust: Toyota has had my truck for three weeks now and finally I heard from someone on 12/4/09 saying that my truck is not safe to drive. They will not provide me with any report from the evaluation they did as to why it's unsafe. I believe it has more to do with the frame and not the cross members as they currently suggest on the recall. I purchased this truck based on their ads of vehicle longevity and resale value and now because of their manufacturing defect, I am without a truck. Toyota should replace the defective frames at no cost to the consumer.

- Randolph Center, VT, USA

Jan 012007

Frame/chassis is rusting at weld joints and mounts. Paint is bubbling and rust is visible below the cracked paint areas, which concerns me since I tow a 6,000 lbs rv trailer. I am also concerned that the vehicle might not pass the Virginia state vehicle inspection.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Oct 102009

I currently own a 2001 Toyota Tundra pickup truck, bought in 2003, and have garaged it for 85% of its life, sprayed and cleaned the undercarriage on a regular basis. The truck currently has 90K on it. The frame does have rust throughout. Especially where the suspension supports are located from front to back and most if not all of the hardware that holds the bed to the frame and the whole truck to the frame is rusted and some of the threads of the fasteners are gone. Am concerned that it is a safety hazard for my family and anyone passing by the truck while it is in motion. Am wondering what the out come will be.

- Richmond, KY, USA

Nov 252009

This morning, after being told about a spare tire housing recall on Toyota Tundra, I inspected the area around spare tire housing and noticed that the frame itself appears to be rotting and corroding. I was actually able to remove large pieces of metal flaking off the frame. The frame does not appear to be safe. When I tapped the frame with my knuckle, it gives off a crunchy noise and has a general "give to the frame" (somewhat soft). I do not feel comfortable driving this vehicle after seeing this.

- Hudson Falls, NY, USA

Nov 162009

I took my 2001 Toyota Tundra truck to a mechanic to have it checked over. I heard a noise, and he discovered that I had a problem with excessive rust to the frame. It had just about 56,000 miles on it. He suggested taking it to the dealer for inspection of excessive rust corrosion to make sure that it is safe to drive. I took it to the dealer where I purchased the Tundra. Upon there inspection they found a hole in the frame and excessive rust and corrosion. I called Toyota and have a case number and was advised that they did not have a recall but they were doing an investigation.

- Queensbury, NY, USA

Jul 232009

Vehicle was shaking, felt from rear of vehicle. Made loud popping sound from rearend of vehicle when articulating a turn on a hill, or road bump. It was found that the rearend U-bolts that attach the rearend to the leaf springs were extremely loose. The rear drive axle was literally falling out from under the vehicle. This vehicle has had no work done pertaining to the U bolts, they should not have came loose.

- Pocomoke, MD, USA

Nov 242009

Excessive frame rust on 2001 Toyota Tundra.

- No Billerica, MA, USA

Nov 202009

I was driving East on route 109 in millis, MA. Where I live. As I stopped for a red light, the spare tire on my 2001 Toyota Tundra longbed dropped onto the pavement. There was no injury, I simply pulled over and recovered the spare. I feel extremely lucky that this did not occur on a major highway! a rather large tire would be right in the path of whoever was following behind. There is a short cable and hunk of rusted metal still attached to the tire if anyone needs to see evidence of what happens as a result of this problem. This does not appear normal and I simply want to bring it to your attention. Mark thompson

- Millis, MA, USA

Nov 142009

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tundra. The frame over the wheel wells and the cross member for the spare tire has corroded. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, and he was advised that he would have to pay for any repairs made. The Toyota manufacturer was notified, but no assistance was provided. The failure mileage was 55,260.

- Milkford, OH, USA

Nov 202009

Vehicle will not pass state inspection. Rust has caused holes in the frame. I have been advised to not drive the vehicle.

- East Ryegate, VT, USA

May 102004

2001 Toyota Tundra limited. Frame is rusting very rapidly, tried to paint frame where I could reach, but paint flaked off after just a few weeks. I talked to local Toyota dealer, they said there was nothing they could do.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Nov 132009

Excessive frame rust 2001 Toyota Tundra - premature frame failure due to rust unusual amount of corrosion to frame rails resulting in loss of structural integrity. Large defragmentation of frame due to excessive rust excessive perforation of metal frame due to corrosion/ rust 3rd party review of rusted frame concludes inadequate metal may be a reason for premature frame failure safety concern.

- Newton, MA, USA

May 012009

My 2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 4WD. Access cab pick-up truck has a rusted out frame. My truck broke down on the highway(May 1st) I towed it to my mechanic shop. My mechanic replaced an oxygen sensor that had rusted away on the exhaust system. Further inspected the vehicle and said it had extreme corrosion (rust) on the frame, brake line connections, suspension mounts, exhaust system...."rust everywhere". he suggested it was unsafe to drive because the brake line connection points were so corroded (rusted away) that they could fail while in operation.

- Gretna, LA, USA

Oct 302009

2001 Tundra, 143,785 miles. Regularly maintained. I was told at inspection 6 months ago that there was frame rust, but it passed. Three days ago, heard a noise, took it to dealer who said that frame had rusted through, driver-side leaf spring had to have section removed. Mechanic advised that vehicle was "unsafe to drive". dealer said they had taken photos of frame, and that we should contact Toyota directly. Contacted Toyota customer experience center and was told that there is no recall, no restitution, no program to deal with Tundra issues.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Oct 282009

I have a 2001 Toyota Tundra with 144,000 miles. This truck has been maintained at heritage Toyota in burlington Vermont since I bought it. Last month I brought it in to have the rear brakes repaired and while the truck was on the lift the technician noticed the frame was rusted. Apparently the way that this dealership tests the integrity of truck frames is by hitting it with a hammer. I did not ask these people to do this. They called me back and said I shouldn't do the brake job because my truck has a rusted frame and it is no longer inspectable. I started a claim with Toyota and they said there was nothing they could do for me because my 100,000 mile warranty was up. I asked about the Tacoma recall and they said there was at this time nothing they could do for me. Great!!! I called my dealership back and after getting the runaround I was told that they would give me 500$ for my truck. You have got to be kidding me. The body on this truck has very little rust and I really feel as if the frame must be defective.

- Warren, VT, USA

Oct 272009

My 2001 Toyota Tundra was just taken to be inspected. I was told by my local Toyota of newport dealer that the frame was rusted out and would not pass inspection. Also, tire cross members exhaust system crossover pipes and power steering frame rusted out and is leaking. I called Toyota hot line and am waiting for a response.

- Saunderstown, RI, USA

Sep 302009

Gas tank had to be replaced due to severe corrosion. The tank was leaking fuel prior to replacement. The Toyota dealer stated the entire undercarriage was extremely rusted.

- Owings, MD, USA

Oct 182001

I have Toyota Tundra 2001 with severe frame rust, rear shock mount frame rusted out holes in frame, brake stabilizer now unattached to vehicle the spare tire fell out of vehicle while driving due to rust problems. I have contact Toyota several times they said I am out of luck. This is an obvious defect.. I have read online that I am not the only Tundra owner with these problems Toyota is not willing to stand by us. Can not replace parts the frame ia defective!

- Tiverton, RI, USA