1. replace frame (2 reports)
2002 Toyota Tundra body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Tundra:

2002 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Sep 142015

Tundra SR5 3.4L

I had to drill holes to install nerf bars on my truck. The frame had rusted thru and I had a large hole where I needed to mount a bracket. The truck would not pass inspection with a hole in the frame and TOYOTA will not do anything about the problem even though they had recalls in the past for this. There may be many trucks out there with defective frames which could cause a serious accident if the frame buckles while driving. I will try to have some metal welded in the area of the rust thru and hope this will help. There are other areas where the rust is advancing, haven't checked to see how deeply yet. I thought TOYOTA had a good reputation and have bought several in the past. I will probably give other brand a closer look now. Disappointed with the quality and support

from TOYOTA on this issue.

Update from Sep 30, 2015: Just found my spare tire is missing due to the bracket that held it in place has rusted thru. This was lost while driving and could cause a hazard to other drivers. Toyota examined the truck for a rust issue recall 2 years ago and said there was no problem. I guess the frame and tire bracket can rust really fast. Disappointed with Toyota not wanting to do something to fix these problems. Will weld some metal over rusted areas and make a new bracket.

- , Severna Park, MD, USA

Aug 102015

Tundra 4.7L V8

click to see larger images

rotted frame rotted frame rotted frame rotted frame

I called Toyota corporation. They gave me a case manager that refuses to help me. The case managers supervisor also refuses to help me and refuses to let me speak to his boss. I requested them to pay for the rental that I'm forced to use as well as either to fix my truck or to buy it back. They refused. They did admit that Toyota Tundra was built with a substandard frame. I'm not the only one that has had this problem. There were recalls in 2010 in which I took my truck in to be inspected and sprayed to prevent rust. Because of the rust on the frame my mechanic is unable to fix the power steering and other problems with the suspension. I am now forced to buy another vehicle! How shameful that Toyota will not stand behind their product! I will never buy another Toyota! Ever!

- , Burlington, KY, USA

Jun 292015

Tundra SR5 4.7L

TOOK MY TRUCK TO WOBURN TOYOTA (DEALER) TO HAVE THE RACK REPLACED (2ND TIME) WHEN THEY PUT IT ON THE LIFT THEY SAW A SOFTBALL SIZE HOLE IN THE FRAME (FRONT DRIVER SIDE) SAID TRUCK IS UNSAFE. NOW WOBURN TOYOTA HAD INSPECTED THIS THREE TIMES IN THE PAST AND NEVER FOUND THIS PROBLEM TILL NOW I GUESS IT HAS TO BE SOFTBALL SIZE TO SEE IT!! THIS IS THE SAME TRUCK THAT HAD THE RECALL ON THE FRAMES THEY TOLD ME THAT THE RECALL IS NOW OVER.

CALLED TOYOTA AND GOT A CASE FILE TOYOTA CALLED ME BACK WITHIN TWO DAYS AND TOLD ME I WAS ON MY OWN AND THAT THEY ARE NO LONGER RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ROTTED FRAMES. I DON'T THINK THEY EVEN CARED JUST THE STANDARD ANSWER THAT THEY WERE NO LONGER HONORING THAT RECALL EVEN THOUGH I HAVE OWNED THIS TRUCK SINCE NEW AND WENT IN FOR ALL THE INSPECTIONS, NOW EITHER SOMEONE DIDN'T SEE THE ROT ON INSPECTION OR THEY DID AND IGNORED IT.

I ALSO REALIZE THE TRUCK IS THIRTEEN YEARS OLD, BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY CAN'T PAY FOR THE FRAME PATCH. I'M NOT LOOKING FOR THEM TO REPLACE THE FRAME.

DON'T THINK I'LL BE BUYING ANOTHER TOYOTA TRUCK. I DON'T HEAR OF THE OTHER CAR COMPANIES HAVING THESE KIND OF PROBLEMS WITH THE FRAMES

- , Methuen, MA, USA