1.6

2002 Toyota Tundra body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Tundra:

2002 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 152016

Tundra

The front frame on the passenger side has a large rust hole completely through it, by the sway arm bracket, and that bracket itself is loose and hanging. The vehicle has 139,000 miles on it.

- Prairie Du Sac, WI, USA

Nov 182009

Tundra

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that when an independent mechanic was servicing the muffler, it was noticed that the frame had extensive premature rust and corrosion near the cab to the rear of the frame. The dealer was notified and indicated that they refused to service a recall stating that the time frame expired for NHTSA campaign number: 09V444000 (structure). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 136,074.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Dec 302002

Tundra

I did not get any extended warranted notice from Toyota to fix the frame. I was living in Mississippi in 2002 and moved to Tennessee in 2004 where the salt and rusted the frame. I only got one recall on the rust problems, but I did not get the extended warranties!!! I live and bought the 2002 Tundra in johnson city, tn.... the Tennessee road commission uses salt on the roads and highways in the winter months. I did not get any extended warranted notice from Toyota to fix the frame. 2002 Toyota Tundra structure: Frame and members:underbody shields NHTSA campaign #09V444000 date announced: November 18, 2009 problem: Summary: Toyota is recalling model year 2000-2003 Tundra vehicles originally sold in or currently registered in the following states: Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia. Excessive corrosion of the rear cross member may cause the separation of the spare tire stowed under the truck bed which would present a road hazard that could cause a crash. Also, corrosion of the rear cross member could affect the rear brake lines and the proportioning valve resulting in diminished braking capability. Extended warranty.... I did not get.... according to a letter sent out to Toyota dealers, Toyota has extended the warranty on 2000-2003 Tundra frames, which allows dealers to replace rusted frames on 2000-20003 Toyota Tundra at no charge to the consumer. This is excellent news for any Toyota Tundra owners dealing with frame rust issues as well as a strong symbol of Toyota's commitment to quality and customer service. While this move didn┐T happen as quickly as we would have liked, we strongly applaud this action.

- Butler, TN, USA

Nov 232016

Tundra

Had to replace all 4 oxygen sensors. The front two were faulty before 50000 miles and less than 7 years old. The rear differential cover is rotting and leaking fluid. The only way to repair it is to weld over the hole.

- Trumbull, CT, USA

Dec 082016

Tundra

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that the vehicle could not pass inspection due to a rotted frame. The vehicle was repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 09V444000 (structure) four years ago; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 204,000.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Nov 302016

Tundra

The frame on my 2002 Toyota Tundra is rusting and has holes completely thru the frame. The truck has always been registered and licensed since new and my problem is never receiving a recall notice. When I learned from a friend that Tundra frame had been replaced, I called Toyota for my frame replacement. Toyota said the recall expired and refused to make the repair. Other that the frame, the truck is in excellent condition because it has been well maintained. It is sad to have an excellent truck setting on a frame that is rusting away. How can Toyota sell a defective truck and identify it as unsafe, fail to contact the owner and then refuse to repair the truck saying the owner missed the deadline. Toyota could have contacted me but I never received any notification. I asked if Toyota could offer any credit on a replacement, even some consideration on a new Tundra and Toyota refused to make any effort to assist me. I currently own four Toyota. Buyers beware!

- Chapmanville, WV, USA

Oct 012016

Tundra

There is excessive rust across the entire rear end of the truck. The rear axle casing has started to deteriorate to the point that differential fluid is leaking from the casing. I have already had to have the frame, spare tire and fuel tank replaced due to excessive rust.

- Ringwood, NJ, USA

Nov 052012

Tundra

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. Upon taking the vehicle to an independent repair shop for routine maintenance, it was diagnosed that the frame had extensive rust, corrosion, and could fracture. The frame needed to be replaced. The independent mechanic recommended that the vehicle be taken to a dealer. The dealer indicated that a manufacturer recall had been completed in 2012 for the frame of the vehicle, but the contact was unable to confirm if the frame was replaced from the recall repair. The manufacturer also indicated that a recall repair was performed in 2012 and provided no solution. The failure mileage was not available.

- Newark, OH, USA

Aug 232016

Tundra

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. The contact noticed severe rust on the front cross members and the frame. The dealer informed the contact that the recall expired and the repair cost would not be covered by the manufacturer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 94,000.

- Chapmanville, WV, USA

Aug 102016

Tundra

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. Whle the vehicle was being inspected, it was discovered that the tire bracket and the spare tire separated from the vehicle due to excessive corrosion. The contact indicated that the vehicle was previously inspected per NHTSA campaign number: 09V444000 (structure); however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 231,000.

- Vieanna, VA, USA

Aug 102016

Tundra

Notified of safety recall on vehicle for rust on frame that will cause structural failure that can lead to loss of control of the vehicle. Took vehicle to Toyota dealer to be repaired. Was told the repair was made. Informed by inspection service center the repair was not effective 8/10/2012, notified Toyota customer care 8/11/2016 of the problem they opened case #1608102651. I contacted them again 8/12/2016 and was informed by the case manager Toyota would not inspect or repair the vehicle. She indicated the recall was listed as limited service and not a safety recall. She indicated this was an on-going issue and several recalls had lapsed for this same problem. Because the recall had expired Toyota was no longer responsible for the defect. They only rust on the vehicle is on the defective frame. A recall repair that does not fix the problem is useless.

- Chantilly, VA, USA

May 142016

Tundra

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. While the vehicle was at a dealer for service, the technician diagnosed that the subframe was corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was previously taken to the dealer per NHTSA campaign number: 09V444000 (structure); however, the dealer refused to perform the recall repair stating that the repair compound was not being sent by the manufacturer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and refused to perform the recall repair, stating that they were no performing the recall repair. The failure. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Elma, NY, USA

Mar 142016

Tundra

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. The contact had the vehicle inspected by the dealer and was informed that there was severe frame rust. The vehicle received an undercoating; however, it failed to eliminate further frame rust. The contact was concerned that the vehicle could fracture while driving and caused severe injuries. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The manufacturer was notified and did not assist. The approximate failure mileage was 74,298.

- Hanover, PA, USA

Apr 162012

Tundra

My first issue was 3 years ago when my muffler was so rusted away I felt something dragging pulled over and seen my muffler had fall almost off hanging there. The next year I pulled into my work and all my studs on my tire broke and my tire and rim went one way and me and the truck went other way. Now my brakes keep sticking then they finally just stopped working all together after replacing pads. I have went thur 3 sets of tires in 4 years. I have it in the shop and they are saying my brake lines are completely corroded and falling apart.

- Mt. Pleasant, UT, USA

Jan 032016

Tundra

We have a serious rust issue with our 2002 Toyota Tundra. Toyota replaced a frame but reattached all the already rusted pieces back onto the new frame. The break line has rusted through on several occasions. We have gone through a red light & stop sign. No was hurt, we were lucky but this truck is a death trap. We have hit the side of the garage trying to get it out of gear because everything is so rusted. We have contacted Toyota & have been told it's a maintenance issue not a defect. This truck 100% a defect! it is a pile of metal sitting in our driveway because I refuse to put my family in it. It us irresponsible to drive this vehicles, so in our & the publics best interest it sits in our driveway.

- Westport, MA, USA

Oct 072015

Tundra

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for a state inspection and it was discovered that the frame was severely corroded. The contact mentioned that a notice from the manufacturer was received to repair the corrosion for free. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the rear brake lines and the frame were severely corroded. The contact mentioned that a corrosion protection compound was used by the dealer, but the failure recurred. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V444000 (structure). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000...updated 02/01/16......updated 04/01/16

- Waterville, ME, USA

Sep 012015

Tundra

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. While driving at various speeds, a loud abnormal rattling noise emitted from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the frame had cracked due to corrosion and needed to be replaced. The contact mentioned that the vehicle had been previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 09V444000 (structure). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Westboro, MA, USA

Oct 162015

Tundra

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that the front end of the frame of the vehicle was rusted and contained a hole. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 163,000.

- Bristol, VA, USA

Sep 042015

Tundra

I found portions of the frame rusted thru and could not mount step bars. I mentioned this earlier in a report. I also just found my spare tire missing and found the bracket holding it had rusted and the tire was lost while driving. When and where is unknown. Toyota examined the truck 2 years ago for a recall for rust issues and said everything was ok.the tire loss is irritating and dangerous to other drivers.

- Severna Park, MD, USA

Jan 312012

Tundra

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. While parking the vehicle, the parking brake did not engage. The contact observed that there was a fuel leak under the vehicle and the frame was severely rusted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was confirmed that the frame was severely rusted and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 09V444000 (structure); however, the failure recurred. Approximately two and a half years later, the contact observed that the frame fractured. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 218,572.

- South Lion, MI, USA