2002 Toyota Tundra body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Tundra:

2002 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 102002

Tundra

The contact owns 2002 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that the chassis and the frame along the brake lines and mounts have rust on them. The rust has caused the vehicle to detach from the frame while driving which could cause a crash to occur. The speed is unknown. The contact has notified the manufacturer regarding this issue. The contact is concerned that the vehicle will fall apart at any time and cause a crash to occur. The failure mileage was 150,000. The VIN # was not available at the time of the complaint.

- Export, PA, USA

Nov 152009

Tundra

2002 Toyota Tundra SR5 has significant rust damage to undercarriage of vehicle. The damage is located on frame components including cross members, brake lines, spare tire holder, suspension parts, front & rear bumpers where they attach to the frame, etc. The bottom of the vehicle is totally covered in rust.

- Utica, NY, USA

Nov 232009

Tundra

I have a 2002 Toyota Tundra SR5 4X4 pick-up truck. On 11-23-09, my spare tire and the support/frame broke and fell off the vehicle while I was driving. I would like to contact a dealer to remedy this problem, and also have my truck inspected for any other potential safety defects. Thank you for your help!

- Burnsville, MN, USA

Jun 092009

Tundra

I find it interesting that my 2002 Toyota may be recalled due to the spare tire mounting being rusted. I have been very disappointed with this truck since the gas tank the rear differential cover and fuel lines have rusted through. I bought this vehicle due to the Toyota reliability reputation. Would you please review the frequency of rust on these areas and issue what ever recalls appropriate.

- Ashley Falls, MA, USA

Nov 192009

Tundra

I have a 2002 Toyota Tundra pu that was built it 2001. The frame of the vehicle is experiencing severe rust. Pieces of rusted metal have fallen from the vehicle's frame. The spare tire is also in a rusted/pitted condition. The vehicle has gone only 40,247 miles and I live in Massachusetts. The truck is in mint condition throughout with the exception of rust and metal deterioration located only on the frame. I brought the vehicle to the local dealer and they acknowledged that the rust/deterioration was severe, especially for the low mileage. However, they did conduct an inspection and determined that the frame was not perforated. My concern is that the deterioration will get worse overtime, and due to the low miles the vehicle would be on the road for many years. As a result, a safety failure in the frame would be probable. The dealer said that I could call the Toyota rep. To voice my concerns. He also said that they would inspect the vehicle's frame each time I bring the truck in for service, if I requested it. This type of frame deterioration is not acceptable for only 40, 247 miles. I also keep the truck in a garage. Thank you for your time and attention.

- Georgetown, MA, USA

Oct 142009

Tundra

I was under my 2002 Toyota Tundra inspecting the frame. I noticed severe frame rust on parts of the frame and cross member. Not just surface rust severe rust. My concern is that the rust is so severe that it has compromised the integrity of the frame and therefore the safety of the truck. There has been nothing done yet to correct this problem.

- Fabius , NY, USA

Nov 052009

Tundra

Frame rust and rot coming up through the bed of the truck from the frame rails. Also rust and rot on majority of undercarriage including spare tire area and suspension members.

- North Easton, MA, USA

Nov 102009

Tundra

Frame rust concern and rear brakes / parking brakes needing to be repaired due to rust... my concern is the ongoing investigation into severe rust problems. I bought the truck used (2 yrs. Old). The truck was not previously undercoated. The truck in service date is Oct 01. I bought it used in 02. I then had it undercoated and have done so every fall since then. My concern is what may be going on underneath the undercoating that I can't see. Also, I had to have the rear brakes tore apart and rebuilt due to rusting components.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Nov 072009

Tundra

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I got under my 2002 Toyota Tundra trd SR5 extra cab to assess the rust this past weekend. I was dumbfounded! control arms, front wishbone, suspension brackets, and rear differential look like a shipwreck that's been under the sea for 100 years. The rear differential housing has rusted completely through and is leaking through the side of the housing! the spare tire holder is so rusted the wheel is about to fall off. All shields and safety guards have fallen off or will soon. I bought the truck new in Nov of '01. It now has 84,000 miles. I've had all recommended services performed at the dealer.they never mentioned the rust although they do a "safety inspection" at every service. I've always washed off the salt in the winter. The body panels show no rust at all and the outside of the truck looks like new. I have taken excellent care of this vehicle. I had a Chevy truck kept under the same conditions that after 15 years and 250,000 miles looked nothing like this. I cannot drive this truck in this condition.

- Warner, NH, USA

Nov 092009

Tundra

Toyota Tundra 2002 - frame rust my 02 Tundra only has 60K miles on it and the rust underneath is causing parts connected to the frame to flake off as well as parts of the frame. The smaller pieces for example the spare tire holder is almost turned to dust. Are you investigating this problem with 2002 model's ? I was told that 2000-1 have been.

- Rye, NH, USA

Oct 272009

Tundra

Dealer discovered rust all over my Toyota Tundra truck. He said he has never seen that.

- Mill Valley, CA, USA

Sep 182005

Rust on undercarriage.

- Merrimack, NH, USA

Oct 132009

Tundra

Front drivers side sway bar link is corroded through. No accident or injury but only because I knew what was going on after I saw the broken link and drove accordingly. After further investigation we find that the brake calipers are corroded beyond salvage and the frame has heavy rust in a number of areas. It is clear that this truck will be worthless in a few years due to the heavy corrosion and we will all be lucky if someone is not killed due to corrosion damage causing something to fall off and cause a wreck.

- Baldwinsville, NY, USA

May 192008

Tundra

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. The contact was performing maintenance on the vehicle to replace the shock absorbers when he detected that the main frame exhibited severe rust corrosion. The corrosion progressed over a period of time and resulted in thinning and warping of the frame. The vehicle is in the process of being taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The manufacturer has been notified. The contact had concerns of the safety risk involved. The failure mileage was 92,000. The current mileage was unavailable.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Sep 012009

Tundra

Report of severe rust to the frame structure of Toyota Tundra pickup. Upon discovery of corrosion owner called Toyota and was advised to take vehicle to dealer for frame inspection. Frame was inspected and one large hole was made by dealer in frame on front drivers side. Upon questioning of dealer owner was told that the hole was minor compared to holes found on other Tundra pickups. Dealer said truck was ok to drive, but upon doing research it seems that truck would not have passed inspection if hole had been visible 1 week before. There is a clear issue with frame construction and upon contacting Toyota after inspection Toyota claims that there is no program to address issue and will not comment on vehicle safety with this intense frame corrosion. At this time there is no document provided by either dealer or Toyota that states in writing that truck is road worthy and safe to drive.

- New London, NH, USA

Jul 012009

Tundra

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. When the contact took the vehicle to be state inspected, he was informed that the front passenger suspension sub-frame was rusted and had holes. As a result, the vehicle failed inspection. The contact took the vehicle to a repair shop to be welded, but the mechanic stated that this was not possible. He then took the vehicle to the dealer and they advised him not to drive the vehicle because it could not be repaired. Report number 0906143367 was filed with the manufacturer, but they would not assist. The current and failure mileages were 114,000.

- Rutland , VT, USA

Apr 222009

Tundra

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. The vehicle failed inspection due to a fracture on the frame caused by excessive rust. The manufacturer advised the contact to speak with a dealer. The dealer stated that since the vehicle exceeded its warranty they would not assume any responsibility. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 40,000. Updated 05/15/09 updated 05/18/09.

- Milford, PA, USA

Oct 312002

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

Cab separated from chassis. Cab is attached to chassis at 4 flanges welded to frame. 2 each 10 mm bolts connect cab to each flange. A 71 mm hole exists in flange between the 2 each 13 mm holes for the 10 mm bolts. Only 6 mm of flange steel exists between 13 mm holes and 71 mm hole. Cab separated by tearing 10 mm bolt nuts through the 13 mm holes at the 6 mm dimension. It has been my experience in aircraft structureal repair that the minimum dimension for hole spacing is 3 hole diameters (I.e., hole spacing should have been approximately 30 mm instead of 6 mm).

- Fuquay, NC, USA