1.9

2002 Toyota Tundra body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Tundra:

2002 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

May 092016

Tundra

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. While having body work done on the vehicle by an independent mechanic, it was brought to the contact's attention that the rear frame of the vehicle was corroded. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 09V444000 (structure), but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The contact stated that the vehicle exhibited signs of corrosion after the recall remedy was applied. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 330,000.

- Barto, PA, USA

Jun 122015

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving down the street and the spare tire fell off. It actually caused the truck to bounce up slightly. Luckily the tire did not contact any other vehicles. Thing to note: My truck was part of the frame corrosion recall issued by Toyota. At the time, they did not replace the frame but only covered the rust with some coating. That did not stop nor slow the rust. The "band aid" they used was insufficient at solving the problem, it only covered it temporarily.

- West Liberty, OH, USA

Nov 122013

Tundra

Last year my spare tire and holding bracket tore loose from the frame and onto the highway. I went to a local garage to find the cause of the problem and was told that the frame is so corroded it is not safe to drive. Latter we learned that there had been two major safety recalls on the 2002 Tundra.many were notified of these recalls and had new frames installed by Toyota at no cost to the owners. We were not notified of these recalls by the dealership where we bought the truck nor by Toyota corporation.in November 2013 we went to shepard Toyota in rockland where we bought the truck and they told us that the recall had expired.I then sent a letter by certified mail to Toyota customer experience center on December 30, 2013. They did not reply. There were 2 major safety recalls on my truck and I was not notified.

- Thomaston, ME, USA

Sep 072012

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

I had recall for my Tundra bed and there were going to resolve the rust issue at no charge. I took my truck to bobby rehal Toyota in mechancisburg pa. They broke a part that wasn't part of the recall. They told me and if I wanted my truck back I had to pay for it. I tried to resolve with bobby rehal and Toyota main office and they told me to pay if I wanted my truck and the part they broke was not part of the recall. I explained I didn't need or want this recall but was told it was a no cost recall by letter. I paid it but now I just received another recall for airbag but how can I take my truck to Toyota not knowing the outcome of the recall so I may choose to do nothing because I cannot be sure they won't make me pay again for something I didn't want/need in the first place. Thanks.

- Camp Hill, PA, USA

Dec 092010

Tundra

No major events but the paint began falling off my 2002 Tundra in 2009. I was just told the top of the gas tank is now rusted out as well. $900 to replace. I have kept this truck up well. Never had a gas tank rust out in any vehicle.

- Bowling Green, OH, USA

Jun 012010

Tundra

My 2002 Tundra and my sisters 2001 Tundra have been recalled twice for rust issues, the first was for gas tank and straps, the second for frame rust. We brought our trucks to herb chambers in auburn MA. For the second time we were told they were fine. Exception was they wanted me to bring my 2002 back because they were "replacing gas tank straps in all recalls as a precaution." The problem with this is that they told my sister no such thing. Our vehicles are only 8 years old, both gas fill doors rusted shut and we had to break them open to get gas and then replace the locks, my battery housing rusted and I almost lost my battery. Our runners are rusting, the side of my truck is rusting, we both find rust lines on the road or in the garage along the sides of our trucks. A bracket rusted and severed my brake line when I took a turn, my sisters power steering line was severed by a rusted part. Yet our cars are "fine". I was also told that "with the Tacoma's we looked for perforations with a hammer and a pick like tool but with the Tundra we will visually inspect for perforations so you won't have to wait long." My issue is why do I now need gas tank straps? perhaps this will help if any future issues arise. Plain and simply I think that Toyota is not being up front and that is dangerous. Thank you

- Shrewsbury, MA, USA

Apr 062010

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2002 Toyota Tundra that is leaking gas. Initially I noticed a fuel smell when I walked by the truck which progressed to seeing fuel on the ground. If I put too much gas in the truck, over 1/2 tank, you can see the fuel leaking through the 4X4 fuel tank protective cover. I had the truck put on a lift and was told that fuel was leaking from the seam of the tank. I recently took my truck to Toyota in response to the recall re:excessive frame rust and my truck passed that inspection. I have less than 51,000 miles on this truck and I am afraid to drive it on the highway. I have lived in MA for 22 years and have never had a fuel tank problem. On 04/06/10 I took my truck to a required yearly inspection. My check engine light was on and the garage told me that my vehicle had failed the emissions test. I have been following other owners reports online and have noticed that more people are reporting leaking fuel tanks. Extensive research indicates that aftermarket gas tanks are not available for this model/year so I must have Toyota either do the work, or minimally, get the part from them. Based on their recent reputation, I am not thrilled about taking my truck back to them. I have 60 days from the failure date to get it repaired and reinspected to avoid losing my registration! I need this truck to be safe for me and all the other drivers that I encounter. Can you please look into this safety concern?

- Oakham, MA, USA

Mar 172010

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

My 2002 Tundra recall on the frame. Passed rear cross member inspection, however the rest of the under body is severally corroded. Dealership is telling me that the truck needs about $4500 to pass inspection? the front end is rusted out. As of now, my truck is still at dealership, waiting for Toyota rep to inspect my Tundra. I feel that im getting the bad end of this recall. I need help.

- Holden, MA, USA

Sep 012009

Tundra

Frame of truck is rusting so bad, I don't know if truck is structurally sound!

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Mar 012008

Tundra

2002 Toyota Tundra. Excessive underbody and frame rust. Driven mainly in Wisconsin. First noticed March 2008.

- Black Creek, WI, USA

Oct 072009

Tundra

Yesterday, had $1300 work done on my 2002 Toyota Tundra. Mechanic advised me that my springs need replacement as they are completely rusted. This evening, susan wornick of channel 5 investigative team, did a report on Toyota Tundra rusting out. Specifically springs and frame. Ms. Wornick informed any owners of Tundra (2000-2001 and possibly 2002) to file complaint with NHTSA. Hence this email.

- Reading, MA, USA

Jan 032002

Tundra

I have a 2002 Toyota Tundra that has been rusting away since the day I bought it new off the lot. It started with the wheels rusting. I brought this up to the dealership many times and they said nothing could be done about it. Next was the tailgate and now the underside of my truck looks like a 20 year old vehicle that was sitting for years. I have heard and read that other Tundra owners are having the same problem and I agree that Toyota needs to do something about this. Toyota's are not cheap, I bought this vehicle because I thought the quality was suppose to be excellent. I also have a claim in with Toyota.

- Rowley, MA, USA

Sep 212004

Tundra

3 interior door handles broke off completely starting in 2004 front passenger door, then in 2005 right rear passenger, 2006 the driver handle broke. Toyota did not want to repair said it was not a manufactures defect. Everything is plastic and cheaply made, I had to pay for repair, feared that in an event of an accident I would be be able to exit my vehicle unless I rolled window down and opened door from outside handle.

- San Pedro, CA, USA