2002 Toyota Tundra miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Tundra:

2002 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Mar 232016

Frequently from a park position and then shifting and turning seems to lack responsiveness.

- Calgary, AK, USA

May 172016

I recently found out about a problem with the frames of certain Toyota Tundra from a coworker. I found that my truck fell into the category, however I was never notified of any recalls or safety actions. I brought my truck into the dealership and was told that the spare tire carrier will be replaced as well as the fuel tank straps and a coating can be applied to the rear part of the frame. I asked how the rest of the frame was and was told there was major rot in the front section. I called Toyota and was told there was nothing they would do about it as the recall or safety action expired on 31 March 2016. I expressed to them that I was never notified of anything about the frames and was basically told there was nothing they would do. I am now stuck with a truck with a rotted out frame that Toyota is not willing to stand by, even though I only missed the deadline by a month and a half, due to them.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Sep 142015

When installing side rails I discovered the frame of the vehicle had rusted thru at the location I was going to drill a hole. The truck will not pass inspection and there are safety concerns. Toyota will not address the issue. There have been recalls for frame issues in the past and it appears Toyota has not solved the problem. There may be many more vehicles out there and do not know they have a weakened frame. Toyota needs to do more to resolve the issue.

- Severna Park , MD, USA

Jul 102015

Took the truck in for recall inspection of rear as per recall notice #bxd ssc. Was told by sunnyside Toyota that the rear part was fine but the other part of frame is badly corroded. They/and the Toyota manufacturer said that this portion of frame is not covered under recall. Estimate of repair cost $15,000. Remarks on vehicle inspection report: 99 front section of frame has a large hole that we feel is getting to the point of being dangerous/not part of bxd campaign

- Olmsted Falls, OH, USA

Nov 022009

Toyota rust thru frame recall...... I had the rear spare tire carriage assy and cross member. Replaced. They forgot my free undercoating until I called them. And complained. But my complaint is they did not inspect the exanded front frame until the recall waranty had expired...then they took pictures and told me to "beg my case" to corporate. To which they denied; as the time limit had expired. My clam is :if the dealership had notified me, in time, they would have found the 4 inch long by 1/4 inch wide rust thru N my frame, definaely in the recall area. It took the dealer 1 year to warranty undercoat the frame of the recalled areas as the dealership had[ a] moved to a new location... and [B] they were not trained in the application. My settlement desired iis for Toyota to replace my frame.

- Woolwich, ME, USA