Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: A dependable pickup option that does have a slight history of frame corrosion. Even though mud looks cool on a truck, it's best if you run this through the car wash every now and again.

2003 Toyota Tundra body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Tundra:

2003 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Feb 022014

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tundra. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id numbers: 14V350000 (air bags), 09V444000 (structure) and 05V225000 (suspension). The contact was waiting for several months for the recall part to become available and the dealer was not able to determine when the recall repair would be performed. The manufacturer notified of the issue. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Saranac, MI, USA

May 142010

Tundra 8-cyl

On May 14 2010 I took my 2003 Toyota Tundra in for a recall regarding "excessive corrosion of the rear cross member". reference: NHTSA campaign number 09V444000, November 18, 2009 & Toyota safety recall no. Ssc9090M. My truck was inspected and subsequently was sprayed with corrosion protection compound. However, the spare tire mounting bracket was not sprayed nor was the differential with the required corrosion protection compound. Reference NHTSA campaign number 09V444000 which states "dealers will inspect the rear cross member and related components, including the brake lines and replace them if necessary" or "will be sprayed with a corrosion protection compound". on January 8, 2014 at 103,793 miles, I was forced to replace the entire differential at a cost of $4,657.67 due to the differential rusting completely through to the point it would no longer retain oil. More recently, O/a September 15, 2014 at approximately 105,500 miles I was driving at 30 mph when the mounting bracket that retains the spare tire in place rusted through and the spare tire fell off of my truck and ended up on the side of the road approximately 1/4 mile away. Fortunately, there was no one driving behind me and no other damage or injuries occurred. In both of the above issues at the time of each incident contacted Toyota customer service and was told that they could not assist me in either matter. I would like to submit this complaint in the hopes that it may help others in similar situations and I also would like to know if there is means or process I can follow to possible obtain restitution from Toyota. I have all necessary documentation to support my claims as outlined above. Thanking you in advance for your consideration in this matter.

- Chatsworth, NJ, USA

Jun 282014

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

As I was traveling at a slow speed when I became aware of a loud grinding noise which had suddenly began as I turned onto a side street. I stopped vehicle immediately and got out to investigate what was causing the noise. I discovered that my fuel tank was dragging beneath the truck. The metal straps that held tank to frame had rusted thru causing tank to fall to road surface. All the connections to fuel tank were ripped from tank. Toyota is worried about the spare tire falling down do to rusted frame members but I feel they should be more worried about their fuel tanks falling off. If I had been traveling at highway speeds I hate to think of what consequences might have been.

- Madawaska, ME, USA

Apr 042014

Frame rust through.Toyota claims rust hole is not in the correct location on the truck.says there is nothing they can do.

- Corry, PA, USA

May 152010

2003 Tundra has excessive rust on frame. Deal offers no remedy.

- Merrimack, NH, USA

Nov 242009

My 2003 Toyota Tundra is rusting away on the frame. The frame of my truck looks like it could bend, crack or brake at any time. This truck has been washed top and bottom at least once a month since it was new and all of a sudden I notice the entire under carriage is brittle and looks unsafe. I have loved everything about this truck but am now worried that it may become unsafe to drive.

- Dalton, MA, USA