CarComplaints.com Notes: You're going to burn through a lot of dinosaurs while chugging around town, and any rear passengers you may have to carry are going to feel real cramped, but at the end of the day this is a solid truck.

1.9

2004 Toyota Tundra body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Tundra:

2004 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 192016

Tundra

Observing excessive frame rust and frame decay. Concerned about structural safety based on the significant frame degredation.

- Hudson, WI, USA

Oct 202016

Tundra

This is an ongoing and escalating problem with the rusting of the chassis. I noticed a leak originating from the rear differential. Took it to the dealer on 10-20-16 where I was told the fuel tank straps had completely rusted off and nothing was holding the tank. The differential leak was also a result of excessive rust and that the entire rear end would need replaced for $2K. The dealer gave me a rental due to the safety hazard of the fuel tank support straps being completely gone. Another $400 dollar repair. The body of my Tundra is in very good shape as far as rust goes. The "known" issue of excessive chassis corrosion was addressed by Toyota with a "bandaid" recall where they sprayed the chassis with anti corrosive material which I had done. A year later most of this anti corrosive material has flaked off due to the application of the material over the existing rust on the chassis at the time. It is a good thing that the rear differential rusted out when it did because the fuel tank falling out would have been a major safety problem.

- Lebanon, OH, USA

Sep 202016

Tundra

Noticed last week the frame of my truck was rotting on my driveway! upon further inspection I discover large holes completely through my box frame. After cleaning out almost 5lbs of rotted frame I can no longer put my family and friends in this vehicle. That would make me irresponsible and negligent like the manufacturer! I purchased this vehicle in Jan 2015 when it only appeared to be a surface rust issue. Recieved notice of the limited service campaign the month after it was over so Toyota refused to even inspect it. Now this year I have holes you can put your hand through and Toyota still refuses the frame is bad. In the limited service campaign Toyota says "the condition is unrelated to and separate from normal surface rust". how could this be S voluntary limited service campaign and not a mandatory safety recall?? sounds like a loophole created by design!

- Berea, KY, USA

Jul 132016

Tundra

Found 4 inch rust hole through frame on 2004 Tundra with 80,000 miles that was treated with the coating in 2014. Toyota corporate said there is nothing they will do to fix it as the recall or whatever expired in 2015. How convenient. Frame rot is a safety issue! this is a family vehicle! if not repaired, the frame will fail.

- Athol, MA, USA

Jul 062016

Tundra

Rusted rear differential. Rusted frame at front right sway bar. Can't pass inspection. Seems to be a common problem just like the 2003 model. I still have payments on this vehicle I can't drive.

- Burlington, VT, USA

Jun 292016

Tundra

Frame recall- my 2004 Tundra was recalled for the frame rusting out. Toyota deemed that a new frame was not needed and did the crc treatment which is absolute junk and only causes the frame to rust even worse. Rear differential is completely rusted and leaking fluid. Problem also with catalytic converters.

- Meriden, CT, USA

Jun 292016

Tundra

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously serviced per a NHTSA campaign related to the frame rusting; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 109,265. The VIN and NHTSA campaign number were not available.

- Meriden, CT, USA

Jun 142016

Tundra

My side running board broke away from the frame due to the screws rusting out. So I crawled underneath to fasten them back in place. While underneath the truck I noticed a very disturbing and scary sight (see images attached). My frame is almost missing in one section underneath. So I got online to look and see if this is normal, and what I find is that this is not normal and I'm not the only one with this issue. Toyota knows that they have sub standard frames under these and other vehicles. They put out a campaign to replace the frames on 2000-20003 trucks, and also included a limited campaign to check on the frames of vehicles 2004-2006. This campaign ended in July of 2015 I bought the truck in July of 2014, but was never maid aware of this issue. When I called Toyota to see why they said not there problem. I spoke to three different people with the complaints department I spoke with one who I did not catch there name on 6/14/2016 from 9:18am-9:49am where I was merely told they don't care that there's an issue all they are legally obligated to do is check and honor there current recall programs. The next lady I talked too who's name was autumn on 6/15/2016 from 12:36-12:42 told me the exact same things. Finally the last one I will speak too because I'm falling on deaf ears is christine at 2:54pm 6/16/2016 who I was told was a supervisor in the complaints department. Told me the exact same things. When I asked why they are not doing anything with these frames when they know there is a serious issue. I was merely told it's a company wide decision that we will take no further action. I take this as Toyota does not care about the quality of vehicle they put on the road as long as there are still profits being made. I know there are several maybe hundreds maybe thousands of owners of vehicles that fall within this complaint I hope something can be done to help us.

- St. Marys, KS, USA

Apr 132016

Tundra

My 2004 Tundra was parked in my driveway and I noticed on left side back and front when it rained big rust spots appeared on my cement.

- N Wilkesboro, NC, USA

Apr 182014

Tundra

Frame recall- my 2004 Tundra was recalled for the frame rusting out. Toyota deemed that a new frame was not needed and did the crc treatment which is absolute junk and only causes the frame to rust even worse. I want a new frame installed by toyata and any other rusty part- all should be replaced free of charge

- Slatington, PA, USA

Nov 202014

Tundra

11/2014 I brought my vehicle to Toyota dealership for the frame recall. It was inspected and returned to me with a summary that all was well and the frame was in very good condition. 6 months later I had it back into the dealership for some repairs to brakes and inspection sticker. Nothing was mentioned about the frame condition at that time. 1 week later, I was traveling with my family in the vehicle when the front gas tank strap snapped, while we were entering the highway. I was able to stop vehicle before any disaster occurred. I secured the tank and returned my truck home. I did not pursue any action at the time because of distress and anger over the incident. I brought truck to dealership that performed the recall on behalf of Toyota Corp. The dealership inspected the frame and immediately admitted to fact that the recall work was not performed correctly. The etchant was not properly removed and the frame was recoated. The gas tank straps were also compromised by the etchant. 6 months after the recall work was performed the tank strap snapped. I have opened a case # with Toyota, but they informed me that it was not there fault and they were not going to help me. The dealership mentioned that they would re-strip and re-coat a second time, but I want compensation for the damage that occurred. The dealership is saying they will not do anything because its Toyota that needs to deal with and Toyota is saying its the dealership.

- New Gloucester, ME, USA

Apr 012015

Tundra

2004 Toyota Tundra has significant frame rust. Took to dealer they sprayed it with an under coating which within 1 year all fell off due to rust underneath the coating. The Toyota dealer then re sprayed and now its falling off after the vehicle say in a garage without being driven. Also the rear axel housing rust straight through and now doesn't old any fluid. I filed a case with Toyota and they said they completed there part of the recall. Which was apparently paint over the rust.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Mar 212016

Tundra

I took my 2004 Toyota Tundra to a Toyota dealer in Vermont due to the frame recall letter from Toyota where the frame would be checked and either replaced or undercoated. The Toyota dealer determined it only needed to be undercoated. The truck was undercoated on June 25th 2015. I just had my truck looked at by an independent garage due to a front end issue and they asked me to come look at the truck on the lift and they showed me where on the rear part of the frame it was separating. How can this be possible? that approximately 9 months after the frame was diagnosed by a Toyota dealer to only need an undercoating that my truck frame is now separating and will likely not hold up for another year per the mechanic at the garage.

- East Montpelier, VT, USA

Sep 012015

Tundra

Hello, the frame on my 2004 Toyota Tundra has begun to rust. Toyota sent out a recall on my vehicle that I never received. When I took this to Toyota they stated that my recall had expired one month prior in August 2015. This is unacceptable. They know they have issues with the frames on the trucks rusting. The Toyota Tacoma first now the Tundra. This is my only vehicle and Toyota is refusing to repair the frame.

- Fort Thomas, KY, USA

Dec 272015

Tundra

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Tundra. While performing an oil change on the vehicle, the technician diagnosed that there were blisters and corrosion on the frame. The failure occurred after the vehicle was taken to the dealer to be serviced for corrosion. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 134,203.

- Harry, PA, USA

Nov 042015

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Tundra. While driving approximately 20 mph, the spare tire detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the frame of the vehicle and the spare tire housing were corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 02/26/16 updated 03/01/16 the consumer stated due to the severity of corrosion, the frame can not be replaced. Updated 05/05/16.

- Peabody, MA, USA

Nov 082015

Tundra

Frame rotted even after getting coated by dealership. I reported to Toyota that the frame was falling apart. They told me that is normal wear & tear. The following week my spare tire completely rotted off causing me to lose control as I came off highway. Thank god I only ended up running off the road. I have a 2003 highlander with 180000 miles still in great shape. This is not normal wear & tear, it is dangerous & Toyota should take care of this. They new 2 years ago there was a problem with the frames & told us that they would replace the frame if necessary but did not do what they promised.

- Peabody, MA, USA

Nov 092015

Tundra

Toyota dealer inspected frame stating: "vehicle needs frame replacement - declined for replacement from Toyota- replacement has expired July 15, 2015" "vehicle is not safe to drive". truck has 74,260 miles on it. I live in North Carolina. Bought truck in March 2014 and was never informed of recall.

- Statesville, NC, USA

Dec 152014

Tundra

In Dec. 2014 I had my Toyota inspect the frame on my Tundra. Under there program if there is no holes they would undercoat it. They said there was no holes. In October 2015 I tried to gat it inspected and it failed for the frame. I was told the truck was in great shape except the frame. It only has 76K miles on it. They sprayed over the holes. Now the books are closed and Toyota won't replace the frame.

- Waterbury, VT, USA

Oct 012015

Tundra

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Tundra. While the vehicle was being serviced, the independent mechanic discovered that the rear subframe separated due to rust and corrosion and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 128,389.

- Lakewood, CO, USA