Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: You're going to burn through a lot of dinosaurs while chugging around town, and any rear passengers you may have to carry are going to feel real cramped, but at the end of the day this is a solid truck.

2004 Toyota Tundra body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Tundra:

2004 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 132016

Found 4 inch rust hole through frame on 2004 Tundra with 80,000 miles that was treated with the coating in 2014. Toyota corporate said there is nothing they will do to fix it as the recall or whatever expired in 2015. How convenient. Frame rot is a safety issue! this is a family vehicle! if not repaired, the frame will fail.

- Athol, MA, USA

Jul 062016

Rusted rear differential. Rusted frame at front right sway bar. Can't pass inspection. Seems to be a common problem just like the 2003 model. I still have payments on this vehicle I can't drive.

- Burlington, VT, USA

Jun 012016

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Tundra. While the vehicle was undergoing routine maintenacne, the technician noticed that the frame was completely corroded and deemed it unsafe to drive. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer and manufacturer were made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000. Updated 09/06/16

- Rangeley, ME, USA

Jun 292016

Frame recall- my 2004 Tundra was recalled for the frame rusting out. Toyota deemed that a new frame was not needed and did the crc treatment which is absolute junk and only causes the frame to rust even worse. Rear differential is completely rusted and leaking fluid. Problem also with catalytic converters.

- Meriden, CT, USA

Jun 292016

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously serviced per a NHTSA campaign related to the frame rusting; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 109,265. The VIN and NHTSA campaign number were not available.

- Meriden, CT, USA

Jun 142016

My side running board broke away from the frame due to the screws rusting out. So I crawled underneath to fasten them back in place. While underneath the truck I noticed a very disturbing and scary sight (see images attached). My frame is almost missing in one section underneath. So I got online to look and see if this is normal, and what I find is that this is not normal and I'm not the only one with this issue. Toyota knows that they have sub standard frames under these and other vehicles. They put out a campaign to replace the frames on 2000-20003 trucks, and also included a limited campaign to check on the frames of vehicles 2004-2006. This campaign ended in July of 2015 I bought the truck in July of 2014, but was never maid aware of this issue. When I called Toyota to see why they said not there problem. I spoke to three different people with the complaints department I spoke with one who I did not catch there name on 6/14/2016 from 9:18am-9:49am where I was merely told they don't care that there's an issue all they are legally obligated to do is check and honor there current recall programs. The next lady I talked too who's name was autumn on 6/15/2016 from 12:36-12:42 told me the exact same things. Finally the last one I will speak too because I'm falling on deaf ears is christine at 2:54pm 6/16/2016 who I was told was a supervisor in the complaints department. Told me the exact same things. When I asked why they are not doing anything with these frames when they know there is a serious issue. I was merely told it's a company wide decision that we will take no further action. I take this as Toyota does not care about the quality of vehicle they put on the road as long as there are still profits being made. I know there are several maybe hundreds maybe thousands of owners of vehicles that fall within this complaint I hope something can be done to help us.

- St. Marys, KS, USA

Apr 132016

My 2004 Tundra was parked in my driveway and I noticed on left side back and front when it rained big rust spots appeared on my cement.

- N Wilkesboro, NC, USA

Apr 182014

Frame recall- my 2004 Tundra was recalled for the frame rusting out. Toyota deemed that a new frame was not needed and did the crc treatment which is absolute junk and only causes the frame to rust even worse. I want a new frame installed by toyata and any other rusty part- all should be replaced free of charge

- Slatington, PA, USA

Nov 202014

11/2014 I brought my vehicle to Toyota dealership for the frame recall. It was inspected and returned to me with a summary that all was well and the frame was in very good condition. 6 months later I had it back into the dealership for some repairs to brakes and inspection sticker. Nothing was mentioned about the frame condition at that time. 1 week later, I was traveling with my family in the vehicle when the front gas tank strap snapped, while we were entering the highway. I was able to stop vehicle before any disaster occurred. I secured the tank and returned my truck home. I did not pursue any action at the time because of distress and anger over the incident. I brought truck to dealership that performed the recall on behalf of Toyota Corp. The dealership inspected the frame and immediately admitted to fact that the recall work was not performed correctly. The etchant was not properly removed and the frame was recoated. The gas tank straps were also compromised by the etchant. 6 months after the recall work was performed the tank strap snapped. I have opened a case # with Toyota, but they informed me that it was not there fault and they were not going to help me. The dealership mentioned that they would re-strip and re-coat a second time, but I want compensation for the damage that occurred. The dealership is saying they will not do anything because its Toyota that needs to deal with and Toyota is saying its the dealership.

- New Gloucester, ME, USA

Apr 012015

2004 Toyota Tundra has significant frame rust. Took to dealer they sprayed it with an under coating which within 1 year all fell off due to rust underneath the coating. The Toyota dealer then re sprayed and now its falling off after the vehicle say in a garage without being driven. Also the rear axel housing rust straight through and now doesn't old any fluid. I filed a case with Toyota and they said they completed there part of the recall. Which was apparently paint over the rust.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Mar 212016

I took my 2004 Toyota Tundra to a Toyota dealer in Vermont due to the frame recall letter from Toyota where the frame would be checked and either replaced or undercoated. The Toyota dealer determined it only needed to be undercoated. The truck was undercoated on June 25th 2015. I just had my truck looked at by an independent garage due to a front end issue and they asked me to come look at the truck on the lift and they showed me where on the rear part of the frame it was separating. How can this be possible? that approximately 9 months after the frame was diagnosed by a Toyota dealer to only need an undercoating that my truck frame is now separating and will likely not hold up for another year per the mechanic at the garage.

- East Montpelier, VT, USA

Sep 012015

Hello, the frame on my 2004 Toyota Tundra has begun to rust. Toyota sent out a recall on my vehicle that I never received. When I took this to Toyota they stated that my recall had expired one month prior in August 2015. This is unacceptable. They know they have issues with the frames on the trucks rusting. The Toyota Tacoma first now the Tundra. This is my only vehicle and Toyota is refusing to repair the frame.

- Fort Thomas, KY, USA

Dec 272015

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Tundra. While performing an oil change on the vehicle, the technician diagnosed that there were blisters and corrosion on the frame. The failure occurred after the vehicle was taken to the dealer to be serviced for corrosion. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 134,203.

- Harry, PA, USA

Nov 042015

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Tundra. While driving approximately 20 mph, the spare tire detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the frame of the vehicle and the spare tire housing were corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 02/26/16 updated 03/01/16 the consumer stated due to the severity of corrosion, the frame can not be replaced. Updated 05/05/16.

- Peabody, MA, USA

Nov 082015

Frame rotted even after getting coated by dealership. I reported to Toyota that the frame was falling apart. They told me that is normal wear & tear. The following week my spare tire completely rotted off causing me to lose control as I came off highway. Thank god I only ended up running off the road. I have a 2003 highlander with 180000 miles still in great shape. This is not normal wear & tear, it is dangerous & Toyota should take care of this. They new 2 years ago there was a problem with the frames & told us that they would replace the frame if necessary but did not do what they promised.

- Peabody, MA, USA

Nov 092015

Toyota dealer inspected frame stating: "vehicle needs frame replacement - declined for replacement from Toyota- replacement has expired July 15, 2015" "vehicle is not safe to drive". truck has 74,260 miles on it. I live in North Carolina. Bought truck in March 2014 and was never informed of recall.

- Statesville, NC, USA

Dec 152014

In Dec. 2014 I had my Toyota inspect the frame on my Tundra. Under there program if there is no holes they would undercoat it. They said there was no holes. In October 2015 I tried to gat it inspected and it failed for the frame. I was told the truck was in great shape except the frame. It only has 76K miles on it. They sprayed over the holes. Now the books are closed and Toyota won't replace the frame.

- Waterbury, VT, USA

Oct 012015

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Tundra. While the vehicle was being serviced, the independent mechanic discovered that the rear subframe separated due to rust and corrosion and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 128,389.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Apr 142015

Toyota recalled my Tundra for a rusted frame. Dealer took possession of the vehicle in April. They provided a rental car, but no other update or contact until a week ago when the frame arrived. Now nearly complete, they want to charge me $8000 for additional parts not covered by the recall which they claim is necessary to make the vehicle pass inspection and roadworthy yet many of these parts were unaffected prior to the recall. At no time did Toyota ever inform us of additional costs not covered by the recall. Two of the items are critical to the value and drivability of the car. They include the rear axle and differential which I believe failed due to the same rusted issues as the frame. The additional parts affected were the brakes. The front brakes seized from 6 months of non use and maintenance by the dealer, the rear brakes were failed by fluid leak from rear axle while in possession of the dealer for 6 months. In short, after getting a new frame, the dealer was holding trying to charge $8000 in extra repairs or they would return me a truck that had a new frame but was still inoperable in the condition under which it was stored by the dealer. The dealer and Toyota were responsible for maintaining the vehicle and returning it in as good or better condition than they received it, but instead it lost 1005 of its value. I cant drive it, I cant sell it. It has a new frame but now has no differential or brakes it has lost all marketable value, where it could have been traded in or sold prior to the "frame replacement" that was supposed to right all the wrongs" of Toyota's doing. I have full service records showing responsible ownership of the truck for the last 10 years. Needs to make it right and fix my truck so I can drive again, or buy me out, or offer me a trade allowance that is fair and equitable. This Toyota case number is 1504140934.

- Schroon Lake, NY, USA

Oct 012015

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Tundra. While having routine maintenance performed on the vehicle, the contact was informed by the technician that the frame was rusted and corroding. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 200,000.

- Afton, VA, USA