2006 Toyota Tundra drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Tundra:

2006 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

May 312016

A very disturbing vibration coming from underneath the truck during acceleration between 30 to 40 then again from 60 to 70. The whole truck shakes !!! I have taken it to the dealer but of course everything is ok by them. No where to turn.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 282015

Rusted brake lines, rusted differential leaking fluid

- South Dartmouth, MA, USA

May 272015

A 1992 Ford F-250 (2 door) towing a portable cement mixer, estimated weight @350-450 pounds, crossed the center line and struck a 2006 Toyota Tundra crew cab (4 door) head on. Both vehicles estimated speed was 50 mph. All drivers and passenger were wearing seat belts, airbags did deploy. The F-250's driver sustained 1 detached rib plus cuts and bruises. In the Toyota, the following injuries occurred: Passenger: Broken left ankle, 7 broken ribs, sternum and clavicle fractures, 7 inch leg laceration, 5 inch hand laceration, cuts & bruises. Driver: Broken right ankle, brain contusion/concussion (visible impact spot on windshield - see below), broken rib, cuts and bruises. Toyota's occupants confirmed that the engine/transmission intruded about 2 feet into the passenger compartment, consistent with the ankle injuries. It also appears from photos that the windshield was pushed back into the driver, although the belt and airbag could have not provided adequate protection also. Frontal photos of the Toyota show, apparently, that the bodywork detached from the frame - the front of the frame is clearly visible & does not look seriously damaged, with the bodywork (including the bumper) pushed back substantially. It seems to me there are several possible defect/design issues here: 1. engine and transmission came straight back and did not deflect downwards, causing the lower extremity injuries. 2. multiple rib injuries despite occupants being belted suggests excessive airbag inflation pressure. 3. body to frame attachment failure, exacerbating intrusion of engine and frontal collapse/compression. The accident was investigated by the California highway patrol (report available) and occurred on state route 178 on May 27, 2015, about 25 miles East of bakersfield, California.

- Kernville, CA, USA

Dec 152014

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle kicks out of gear while driving would shift real hard into second gear taking off then when up to speed would kick out of gear as into neutral and coast randomly.

- Burton, OH, USA

Jul 152012

Tundra 8-cyl

'2006 Tundra dbl cab limited 2X4' the gears in the rear differential broke back in July 2012 at 55000 miles, Toyota dealer repaired it just as my warranty was about to expire then it just happened again on 10-9-14 at 71000 miles, exactly 8 years of the date when I bought it brand new in 10-9-06. Only 16000 miles on the new gears. Either the Toyota dealer didn't repair it right or the Tundra have crappy differentials. Ill never purchase a Toyota again, plus they're over priced.

- Newark, CA, USA

Oct 312013

Tundra 8-cyl

Toyota recalled for frame rust. Vehicle taken apart and frame replaced. Vibration present between 30 and 70mph. Vibration gets extreme when not under load (ie slowing down). Has been back at dealer 6 times to try to identify/repair. No resolution. Toyota customer experience department recommended I take recourse. Contacted state attorney general who is trying to mediate a resolution. Ag office recommended I file a complaint with NHTSA as well.

- Holliston, MA, USA

Nov 012012

Tundra 8-cyl

Repetitive growling/whirring sound with vibration at approximately 35 mph at the front drivers side of vehicle. Taken to dealer for diagnosis. No problems found or noted. Taken back to dealer - same symptoms diagnosed as bad front differential in need of rebuilding/replacement.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Jul 122011

Tundra 8-cyl

On date stated, 7/12/11, I took my truck in for oil change at the grand blanc motorcar Toyota dealership. Tech came out to inform me there was discoloration in the rear differential fluid and I should have the fluid changed. I said okay. Since then I have had 2 years of rear end vibration and chatter in my first drive of the morning. I called the dealership immediately upon hearing and feeling the vibration. They had me bring it back and they replaced the fluid and placed an additive and said it should be fine. It has not been fine as they replaced the fluid a third time and last year I had midas look at the problem and they replaced the fluid. It was okay for awhile but the vibration and chatter in my turns has returned with a vengeance. I have done internet research from Toyota for recalls or problem solving and they refer me to the customer care at the dealership.

- Fenton, MI, USA

Nov 042011

Tundra 8-cyl

Driving on the highway at normal speed of 65 mph; suddenly I noticed an increase in RPM's and a pull of the truck, kind of pulling back and forth. I then noticed the O/D light on, I wiggled the transmission shifter while driving and the O/D light went away; the truck RPM's returned to normal for the speed I was driving. Since then, it has happened every day at any given time; what I am doing is the same or just pressing the push button until the light goes away. I tried taking my truck to my local dealer where I bought my truck and they told me there was a charge for inspection plus repairs. I have seen many other online posts where Tundra owners have the same problem, I believe this is a safety problem since the truck may pull or hesitate at any given time and the possibility of losing control and causing serious injury exists. I would like to direct this issue to Toyota and have them fix this issue as soon as possible.

- Sun City, CA, USA

Dec 212011

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that the vehicle vibrated while driving between 30 and 60 mph. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the driveshaft failred, causing the vibration failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 79,000 and the current mileage 80,600. The VIN information was not available.

- Miami , FL, USA

Jun 192006

Tundra 4WD

Ltr from (tx) reporting problems with his 2006 Tundra motor vehicle. The cruise control has a problem down shifting 2 gears on minor grade for no reason, which caused the engine to rev to over 4000 rpms. The vehicle would not shift into overdrive while driving on the freeway. The brake will fade while sitting at a traffic light. The stopping distance on the vehicle was much longer than any other vehicle the consumer had driven. The vehicle was getting very poor gas mileage. There was an odor from the air condition. The tire sensor light illuminated, but it was resolved.

- Conroe, TX, USA