2007 Toyota Tundra body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Tundra:

2007 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Nov 092016

Tundra

There seems to be an excessive amount of rust on the frame of my truck.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Sep 092016

Tundra

Toyota Tundra rust and corrosion in truck bed. Coming from below. Spreading like cancer and this was posted on July of 2012 # tsb-0101-12. Rust has completely eaten through truck bed floor and there are several (8+) other spots. I'm now concerned with safety for my family. I first noticed this on 9/9/16 after removing my bed liner for first time to then have a spray liner in place. I then took to dealership and then called Toyota. If they would've informed me of the tsb, I would have taken it in to have fixed as this one major hole is more than 5 years in the making. With the timing of this tsb that would've put me inside the 5 year corrosion warranty. You just never think to look under bed liner and now it's too late per Toyota. Very unhappy

- Herndon, VA, USA

Aug 272016

Tundra

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Tundra. The contact pulled out the bed liner and noticed that the bed was rusted out. The dealer stated that the failure was unusual and referred the contact to the manufacturer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and referred the contact to file a complaint with NHTSA. The failure was not remedied. The failure mileage was 140,000...updated 10/04/16

- York, ME, USA

Feb 012016

Tundra

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Tundra. While the vehicle was parked, the contact noticed that the subframe underneath the vehicle was corroded, even though an anti corroding agent had been applied to the vehicle. In addition, the brake pads, rotors, and calipers had to be replaced prematurely on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and a dealer who both confirmed that the corrosion was past the point of repair and that a new subframe would be needed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50.

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

Apr 152016

Tundra

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Tundra. While stationary, the passenger side overhead handle fractured and caused the contact to fall to the ground. The contact sustained injuries to the head and back. Medical attention was not received. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 80,000.

- North Clarendon, VT, USA

Mar 012011

Tundra

I own a 2007 Toyota Tundra double cab limited 4X4. I started noticing rust developing in my truck box in March 2011. I reported it to Toyota in Canada as the vehicle had been imported from the usa into Canada from the previous owner back in 2007. I was told that I would have to contact Toyota usa for corrosion warranty. When I contacted Toyota usa I was told that there was currently no recall for the issue I was experiencing and I would not be covered under corrosion warranty because my truck had been exported out of the usa. It was not until a few years later I was told by the local Toyota dealership that there was a recall for this exact issue as well as an issue of frame rusting. I contacted Toyota Canada to see if my truck would be covered. I was told that once again this was an issue that would have to managed by Toyota usa. I contacted Toyota usa and was told that I was over the 5 year unlimited mileage as well my vehicle had been exported from the usa so either way it would have not been covered.

- Kimberley British Columbia, MT, USA

May 202016

Tundra

Truck bed rusting from underneath in 2 spots where attaching to the frame undercarriage and bubbling on bed floor. Is a known problem and Toyota refuses to fix it because it is over 5 year warranty. Has 47000 miles on it. Could become a safety factor if it comes completely loose from the frame.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Aug 012012

Tundra

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that the truck bed was severely corroded in the area where it was bolted to the subframe of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be inspected. The contact was informed that the truck bed needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was also concerned that the truck bed could separate from the subframe while the vehicle was being driven. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 132,000.

- Gardner, KS, USA

Mar 142016

Tundra

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that after inspecting under the vehicle, it was discovered that the metal straps that holds the fuel tank were hanging from the vehicle. In addition, the contact mentioned that the metal straps were corroded and fractured. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Long Lake, NY, USA

May 102012

Tundra

T-sb-0101-12. Toyota did not notify me of this tsb. I did not discover the issue until 2 months after my 60 month service date. The dealership forts Toyota of pekin Illinois would not help me. Contact at Toyota corporate they told me because it was past my 60 months service they could not help me either. So now I'm left with a vehicle that is rusting apart that I paid over $30,000 for. I have been asking and calling for over 2 years, and now I was led to this website to file a complaint here just recently.

- East Peoria, IL, USA

Jan 052013

Tundra

The bed is rusting out all across the cross members. It started gradually, but now it's so bad I'm afraid the box could break loose and fly off the truck while going down the highway. Toyota has a service bulletin on this very issue, but when I took it in they said it was too old and they would not cover it. What difference does age make? it was clearly a manufacturing defect that Toyota even acknowledges, but because I was unaware of potential danger until after it was past the time they feel they are responsible, I am stuck with a vehicle that is unsafe and has a much lower resale value...updated 10/14/15

- Mankato, MN, USA

Dec 092014

Tundra 8-cyl

I recently purchases a used 2007 Toyota Tundra double cab from a private party. I test drove the vehicle on ac pavement with no major issues, but upon purchasing and driving on my typical freeway commute traveling at normal speeds (55-70mph) it shakes violently. The shaking resonated at one point so violently that I lost control of the vehicle and had to drastically slow down to regain control. I am fearful of my safety and that of any passengers, especially my children. I have subsequently found forum information online that speaks to this "bed bounce" problem, and a relevant tsb from Toyota. However, I cannot find an official tsb from Toyota online or a genuine fix to the problem. Please help because I feel like I just bought a vehicle that is not safe to drive, and needless to say very angry that Toyota has not addressed this problem in full.

- Spring Valley, CA, USA

Jun 052012

Tundra 8-cyl

My bed floor has a rust and Toyota don't want to take it...please help me, I read they have issues on them models 2007 to 2011...

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 222010

Tundra 8-cyl

7/2007 purchased 07 Tundra w/maint plan&extended warranty 9/2010 4342miles southcoast Toyota-maintenance, we asked them to take a look at surface rust. They noted it and said was due to salt air 2/2012 6504miles southcoast Toyota to perform brake service. Apparently brake pad had fallen off due to corrosion of calipers & pins and they refuse to service the truck because it would be too much to repair but refuse to even give us estimate. They said the corrosion has compromised the safety of the truck, but not covered under warranty. We were told that we did not drive the vehicle enough and that's why it is rusted so badly all over (truck was driven locally at least 3 or 4 times a week by elderly couple). We requested a copy of field reps report, but they said it is proprietary info we do not have access to. Service manager rudely asked us to remove our truck from the dealership but we cannot drive it off because brakes not operating properly. Were told to take the 5 yr old truck with 6500 miles to the junk yard. During 2010 maintenance when they were aware of corrosion, we should have been advised of possible brake failure or weakened structure due to rust that would occur in less than two years time. Instead elderly couple continued driving vehicle until unsafe to drive without being advised of how severe of condition the truck is. They have lived by the beach (2 miles from dealership) for 30 yrs & owned a few trucks, never rust so bad. Toyota is fortunate that no one was hurt driving this vehicle & they should do what they can to take this unsafe truck off the roads. Instead they deny any possibility that the corrosion may be a defect & is allowing this truck to possibly end up being driven since they are willing to release it. Its obvious this is not the 1st Toyota known to have corrosion issue and though not perforation, the rust is an oversight by Toyota.

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Jan 032010

Tundra

The tailgate on my 2007 Toyota Tundra is coming apart at the seams. I have had the tailgate replaced once for the failure, and the new one is showing the same failure. Judging by the pictures on the internet this is a common problem with the Toyota tailgates. It is just a matter of time before this design flaw causes injury to a person and or property damage. A simple internet search for Toyota tailgate failures shows the results of such a failure. I do load my quad using the tailgate as a load bearing system, reason for this is the ramp systems made for this task are designed to use a tailgate. I would like to see the tailgate brought up to the standards of Toyota competition.

- Olympia, WA, USA

Jan 172008

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

Nut holding the driver's side heat duct was loose. This allowed the heat duct to fall down and block the driver's use of the brake pedal and the accelerator pedal. Luckily for me I was not on a busy street or driving at highway speed. This defect almost completely blocks the drivers use of the brake pedal. If this happens to someone on a crowded freeway at speed they could be seriously injured or killed in the accident.

- Fairbanks, AK, USA