5.9

2008 Toyota Tundra suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Tundra:

2008 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

May 142015

Tundra

Leaf springs giving out, never put half of the max weight capacity, called Toyota they told me nothing they can do and they stand behind their product even though I personally know someone that had theirs repaired at no charge Toyota would not fix it for free if they did not know the product was bad and faulty. Noise coming from front end of vehicle while driving between 10 to 30 mph. I was told needed entire new front end, and other components for the repair. I did not know Toyota did not care about the public so much to let unsafe vehicles to be out on the road. Cannot drive vehicle until these repairs are done for worry of safety for me and my family.

- Hudson, MA, USA

Aug 272011

Tundra

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that while traveling 25 to 30 mph a growling sound emitted from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the failure might be caused by a defective rear axle or differential. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 42,396 and the current mileage was 74,000.

- Springvalley, NY, USA

Mar 282012

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

Right front tie rod stripped out and became separated from right front wheel.

- Hartland, WI, USA

Dec 032011

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

On December 3, 2011 I was driving with my family on a paved local road and the front driver's side of the truck just dropped several inches after a loud snap sound. Initially I thought the front wheel had come of the truck somehow because it was a fairly violent drop. I pulled over and inspected the wheel, everything looked to be in tact. Next I got on the ground and noticed right away that the front strut had snapped in half. I considered this to be a major safety problem, so I contacted my local Toyota dealership and let them know what happened. The response I got was... "how many miles are on your Tundra"" I replied 46,500. The next response was very disappointing - with no other inquiry into the situation, the technician said, "well, you are outside of the 3yr / 36,000 mile warranty on the struts so you can have the truck towed to our shop and we can replace it for you". I'm thinking wow!!! that's the response after I just tell a Toyota service technician that a factory part just randomly failed and could have been a serious safety issue. Next I contacted the national hotline for Toyota customer care. They said the problem would be documented and thanked me for calling in with my concern. This is my 3rd Tundra and I've never had an issue like this before. All in all, I am very disappointed that a major component like a strut failed under normal driving conditions. Even more disappointing is the reaction I received from both my local dealer and the national customer hotline. I can't imagine what a nightmare this could have been if I was on the interstate when the strut failed" I recommend every gen 2 Tundra owner take a look and make sure you don't see any kind of stress cracks, or anything that looks odd with your front struts. For the record - I don't offroad or drive my truck hard....and all maintenance is up to date and documented!

- Fernandina Beach, FL, USA

Jan 012008

Tundra

Driving southbound on 605(so call) between South & spring truck develops violent bounce. On some part of highway 710 similar problem exist. Toyota dealer said its normal. Please help us find a solution.

- Rowland Hts, CA, USA

Dec 312008

Tundra

While driving the truck bounces on certain concrete highways between 60 and 70 mph. You can't even talk because of it. I am not exaggerating at all, I had a headache because of all the bouncing around and I am concerned for my children sitting in the back seat where it's most prone. The bounce gets so bad at times it seems the truck could lose control.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Dec 222008

Tundra

I just bought my 2008 Tundra and have noticed an incredible bounce while driving on the freeway. This does not seem normal and concerns me. The tires have been rotated and balanced and this doesn't seem to change the bounce effect. After reading online, it appears that Toyota is familiar with this problem. I hope they fix it soon. I have taken the cars to two dealerships and they said it was normal. I have own 4 Toyota trucks and none had this problem! I just hope that Toyota realizes that there is a major problem before an accident or death happens!

- El Sobrante, CA, USA

Dec 052008

Tundra

Anyone familiar with "shaken baby" syndrome will recognize this defect. On certain sections of pavement and at certain speeds, this vehicle sets up a harmonic vibration and shakes so violently that infants are at risk. The events are easily repeated and are known to the manufacturer.

- Cedar City, UT, USA

Aug 242008

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

This is of major concern to me and many drivers currently driving 2008 Toyota Tundra. There is a major defect with the bed and cabin of the truck bouncing uncontrollably when you drive on the freeway, my main concern is this uncontrollable bed and cabin bounce can cause brain damage to a child strapped to a car seat. So far Toyota has refused to acknowledge this problem. You can see this on youtube many people have submitted video on this issue. Updated 01/21/10. Updated 02/02/10 updated 02/02/10. Updated 02/05/10.

- Cathedral City, CA, USA

Aug 312008

Tundra 8-cyl

2008 Toyota Tundra double cab 5.7L V8. Certain areas of freeway in & around riverside, ca have what is know as "washboard", I.e. the surface unulates similar to the surface of a washboard. My Tundra shakes violently when going over this. While the washboard effect is noticeable in other vehicles, it is frightening in the Tundra. This could be a real safety hazard.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jul 252008

- University Place, WA, USA

Jul 302008

Tundra

Driving on interstate 40 (East of Oklahoma city) truck develops a violent vibration. The bed appears to be bouncing up and down - side to side. Incident occurrs everytime I drive this strtch of road. Tires have been inspected and balanced (no improvement to rough, dangerous ride).

- Tecumseh, OK, USA

Jun 012008

Tundra

2008 Toyota Tundra double cab 4X4 SR5 w/trd off road this truck is clearly unsafe to drive. When you drive the truck and hit a bump in the road, the truck bed bounces. It will actually affect the steering and ability to control the vehicle. While driving the truck at highway speeds, if you hit a large bump it is exceptionally hard to steer and control. I know truck beds can bounce, but this truck is way more than the norm!! the bounce has actually led to my 1st Tundra's bed to be out of square 1 1/2. further more, if you measure from the back of the cab to the top of the bed, there was a difference of 1 3/4 inches from the left and right side. Please help! Toyota has recognized the problem of the bed bounce, but refuses to help. This is a problem is serious and needs to be looked into immediately. Please call if you guys have any questions I will be glad to help. Thank you

- Carlisle, OH, USA

Nov 162007

Tundra 8-cyl

Extreme bouncing on the freeways. A couple of times I thought I had a flat tire. The family doesn't want to ride in it, it scares them. Me too. Toyota ought to be embarrassed over this one.

- Upland, CA, USA

Feb 012008

Tundra 8-cyl

Duped again-had a 2007 Tundra crew max, 4X4 limited which was purchased back by Toyota under lemon law, due to serious front suspension vibration problems. Toyota assured me that the problems will be fixed in the newer models so I purchased a 2008 model (silly me). Now the 2008 is doing the same thing and has crackling sound from the front suspension and bed hop.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA

Mar 012008

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra, it has an excessive bounce that at times does not feel safe to drive. Dealer knows about the problem, Toyota is no longer working on the problem. Service dpt sees the bounce as normal(or is been told to say its normal) but its far from been normal or safe.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Feb 032008

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

Rough ride, bed bounce this is the worst riding truck I have ever had. I cant even take my family for a ride. I have two kids and they both and up getting sick. I have talked with Toyota about it and said they are working on a fix. They are not saying they are going to fix it or they are not. They just told me they are aware of the problem. I hope they fix it soon or I will never buy a Toyota again. I have owned Toyota since the 80S. I am very disappointed in the truck.

- Independence, IA, USA