2010 Toyota Tundra body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Tundra:

2010 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Sep 132016

I bought a 2010 Toyota Tundra new. I recently noticed significant rust in the bed of my truck. After some research I discovered that the rust is also in the frame of my truck. I have found that there are multiple cases of Toyota trucks with this same issue. There have been recalls and class action lawsuits filed against Toyota for this same problem. However my model and year are not included in these. I took the truck to Toyota and they said yes this is a problem we know about however youre out of the 5 year warranty period and we will not cover the damage. The problem with the warranty period is that the start of the issue is completely hidden and there's no way to know you have a problem until it's too late and you're out of warranty. The frame of my truck is quite rusted and will cause safety issues in the near future. There are two distinct rust spots in the bed where the frame attaches to it. The one spot which is worse actually has a hole in the metal bottom of the bed. I can't get pictures of the frame of the truck but I did include pictures of the two rust spots in the bottom of the bed. The two spots are located toward the cab and are in the same spot of the bed but on opposite sides. I live in a very dry climate so flooding and humidity are not the cause of this rust. You can tell from the location of the spots that this is a manufacturer defect.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Sep 222015

The truck tailgate was noticed to have paint bubbling toward the bottom on the tailgate. Further inspection shows moderate rust on the inner lip of the bottom of the tailgate where two panels come together, and is noticable when it is in a lowered position. After calling Toyota corporate national customer service line and notifying them of the issue, I was asked if rust was on the frame. Further more, I was told there is no program they have to help with such an issue. I had not had the ability to inspect the frame and undercarriage at the time of the call, but upon ending of the call, was able to have a look at it. There is considerable rust on seems of the frame welds throughout the bottom and other areas.

- Newton, NC, USA

Dec 012009

We noticed that shine on the paint faded right away and we contacted Toyota body shop and was told that there were many complaints and that there was defective paint work on this model. They contacted Toyota headquarters and we were told by them that Toyota was fixing them. However Toyota refused to fix ours.. paint looks terrible and the shine is all gone.

- Royal Palm Beach, FL, USA

Jun 132013

Tundra 8-cyl

Was struck side struck by a vehicle running a red light. My head struck the drivers side window, transported by fire & rescue to local hospital. Hospital diagnosis was a "closed wound concussion". other driver was charged on multiple counts. Mechanics that repaired my truck estimate the vehicle that hit me was travelling 40-45mph. My airbags did not deploy. Impact area on my truck was front driver side quarter panel and front left tire. Have viewed a side impact crash test for my make, model and year. In that test the airbags did deploy and the driver dummy hit head in exact location as I did. I would assume the crash test dummy would not have received a concussion due to the protection from the side airbag deployment. One of the reasons for my purchase of this vehicle was the safety aspect. The manufacturer marketed the airbag system as a key selling point. I did have my seat belt on at the time of the crash. I can provide police accident report, photos of both vehicles, repair detail for my truck and personal damage.

- Columbia, MD, USA