2010 Toyota Tundra drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Tundra:

2010 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Mar 272016

The contact owns 2010 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated while driving at 55 mph, the drive shaft separated and fractured. The vehicle was towed but was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Saint Francisville, LA, USA

Apr 042012

When at a dead stop, sometimes the truck will lurch forward slightly as if hit from behind. It is very scary as I let both of my children borrow the vehicle at times. I have called the dealer and they say there is nothing on record of this type complaint. Has been happening for years but I finally found this sight to register my complaint.

- Fresno, CA, USA

May 152014

Service bulletin tsb-0148-11 - drive shaft thumps when leaving a full stop- feels as though you were hit from behind. Was told it is not a warranty issue but it's a defect that should be fixed!. paid good $$$$$ for truck and issues like this will make me think about the next vehicle I buy.

- Naples, FL, USA

Jan 012015

Drive shaft failure. Car feels like it is being hit from behind.

- Port Isabel, TX, USA

Mar 142014

Tundra 8-cyl

Vehicle was traveling in freeway and all of a sudden the A/T oil temp light came on and the vehicle stop right away. Engine and everything stop working. I think this is serious and too dangerous. Hope someone will investigate the issue.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jan 312014

A sudden acceleration of engine RPM was experienced with the transmission in park and the engine idling. Without touching accelerator pedal, engine rpms increased to 3500 to 4000 for 8-10 seconds before returning to typical idling speed engine would not subsequently respond to depression of accelerator pedal. Toyota repair shop has diagnosed problem as throttle body stuck open. Although nobody was injured or killed in this incident, that doesn't make it any less serious. Perhaps some day, Toyota will fix these issues proactively.

- Danville , IN, USA

Nov 182013

Tundra 8-cyl

Excessive rusting on rear differential, leaf spring mounts and around rear hubs to wheels.

- North Chesterfield, VA, USA

Mar 072013

While driving my Tundra 4WD I notice a growling/howling coming from the front of the vehicle. It causes a vibration at speeds from 15-30 mph, it happens in 2wd and the howling is noticed mostly during acceleration and deceleration. I have taken the issue to the Toyota dealer twice for the noise and they said it was normal and was told it was the tires I was using. I swapped tires with a friends truck and had the same issue. What I'm hoping is that it isn't something out of alignment in the front differential housing or axle. I would hate for it to come apart or lockup and put me and my family in an unsafe situation. I saw there was a service bulletin out for 2008 Tundra for the same issue with steps to correct the problem. I haven't seen a service bulletin for 2010 Tundra and want to know if it even exists. I hope this issue will get looked at because being told "that there is nothing wrong" at the dealership is getting frustrating. I can't believe a truck with now 28450 miles is having issues already. I hope this issue will be looked at in the future. Thank you.

- Travis Afb, CA, USA

Nov 112009

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Tundra. While driving approximate 10 mph, the transmission began to slip with hesitation. The failure occurred whenever driving at low speeds intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer numerous times for the similar failure. The technician stated the vehicle operated normally. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The vehicle had not been repaired and the failure persisted. The approximate failure mileage was 10. The VIN was unavailable.

- Peabody, MA, USA

Nov 222009

Tundra 8-cyl

I drove the vehicle aprox. 300 miles to laughlin, I was in town backed out of a spot put it in drive the truck died it restarted and a little while later I noticed a check engine light, I took to dealer and told it was the cam shaft sensor and that Toyota is aware of the problem and when they figure it out they will contact me but as a friendly gesture they changed my oil, right, well its been almost a year and not a word.

- Alta Loma , CA, USA

Oct 152010

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2010 Toyota Tundra that has about 10,000 miles on it. About two months ago I started noticing the truck will randomly have a sudden loss of power. It happens mainly when it has been sitting all day. It's kind of scary because when you are pulling out of a parking lot or making a left hand turn the truck will all of a sudden have no power and then it will jolt forward. I have not taken it to the dealer because no indicator lights are coming on and that's usually the only way they know how to fix problems. I have read a few forums that talk about this problem, one guy said he had his truck in and out of the dealer for 4 months and they basically ripped his whole truck apart. They finally came to the conclusion that the wire harness under the dash that goes to the fuel pump was loose and causing the problem. I called Toyota and the dealer and they told me they have not had enough complaints yet but when they do they will probably come out with a fix. I haven't done much since mainly because I don't want the dealer wasting my time and taking my truck apart.

- Draper, UT, USA

Nov 162009

One week after purchasing a 2010 Toyota Tundra crew max truck, I was at a complete stop at a stop light for at least a minute. I was the second car in line. Suddenly, unexpectedly, my truck lunged forward and hit the car in front of me. Damage was minimal to both cars but there was no reason for the car to move forward. I suspect it due to the electronic accelerator problem associated with Toyota. This was not a floormat issue. I am now faced with a fine and loss of my 40 year safe driver status.

- Orange Park, FL, USA