2011 Toyota Tundra drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota Tundra:

2011 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

May 012014

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Tundra. While driving approximately 60 mph, the ABS, check engine, and 4 wheel drive low sensor lights illuminated. The vehicle's speed suddenly reduced to approximately 30 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air pump assembly unit was faulty. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Chesapeake, VI, USA

Oct 012013

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Tundra. While driving approximately 50 mph up a hill, the speed independently decreased to 25 mph without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions while driving at various speeds. The contact stated that the check engine warning indicator was constantly illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the secondary air pump was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. Updated 12/03/15

- Mexico, ME, USA

Feb 032014

When parking on my driveway in the winter and move the gear selector to park, the transmission does not lock in park. The vehicle remains in neutral. Today I was halfway out of the vehicle when the truck started to roll downhill. One foot was on the ground and I was falling backward. Luckily I was able to grab the wheel to keep myself from falling under the vehicle. I have no doubt that my injuries would have been significant had I not grabbed the wheel. I reported this to the dealership last year when this first occurred. The dealer said they did not find a thing wrong.

- Penndel, PA, USA

Dec 262014

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

"on 12/26/2014, I started my Tundra, placed it into gear after a 30 second pause and proceeded to literally stand on my breaks to stop the vehicle from lurching forward. The back tires spun causing smoke to emanate from the screeching tires. At the time I placed the vehicle in gear, a pedestrian was walking in front of the Tundra. I almost squashed them."

- Boones Mill, VA, USA

Aug 132011

Tundra 8-cyl

Bought truck new with 99 miles showing, testdrive pulled hard to right, extremely hard brought back to dealership 3 days later to perform its first alignment, they did several that day, more than 16 alignment at that dealership truck still tracks right, every dip in road, any bump, truck veers right, July 2012 I had lemon law proceeding, the man came out and didn't drive, just sat in pass seat, dealership had the truck overnight once in june2012 and once in July 2012 before to fix issue, which did get better, then was denied cause it is under warranty, truck had oil change around nov2012 and I complained again, about front end dog tracking, they said its normal and no fix needed, but the truck was fixed from dog tracking but not put in writing, still veers right, now this truck has had problems like major vibration, replaced driveshaft at 2500 miles, dealership replaced wheels twice trying to figure where its coming from, while braking it pulled hard to right and had to fight steering wheel, now this is from the start it could literally take the car out on the side of you, with a crown or no crown the pulling right is excessive, and was about 80 % worst but I want it fixed correctly, can anyone help me get this truck to roll straight, im at 21,900 miles, yes I have paper work.

- Port Richey, FL, USA

Aug 112012

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

2011 Toyota Tundra. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle air bags and transmission malfunction. The consumer stated her husband turned down the wrong street, and when he went to turn around, he put the vehicle in reverse, and stepped on the gas, but the vehicle went forward over a forty foot embankment and ran into a large boulder and a tree. When the vehicle stopped it was still in reverse and the air bags did not deploy. The consumer stated the main issue, was the vehicle was in reverse, but the truck went forward. According to eye witnesses, it appeared her husband was having trouble with the transmission.

- Berry Creek, CA, USA

Dec 032012

I have a 2011 Tundra SR5 with a loud clicking noise that has been coming from the steering column near the shift lever. While in park, the brake pedal must be pressed in order to shift the truck into gear. When I press the brake pedal, a loud click can be heard from the column shifter. This is the column shift lockout solenoid and is normal. However, recently I can hear the solenoid clicking anytime I depress the brake pedal while I'm in gear. Sometimes it is a click, two clicks and sometimes it is series of rapid clicks. I have taken the truck to the dealer twice. The first time I was told the clicking was normal while in park and that they could not duplicate it while in gear. The second time I took it to the dealer, they "blew out the excess grease" from the shift lock. Their best explanation is that the column shift lock solenoid comes from the factory as a sealed unit and is packed with grease. The 'excess' grease can keep the locking arm from fully retracking or engaging and the solenoid will chatter because it is trying to put it into position.

- Mobile , AL, USA