3.1

2011 Toyota Tundra steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota Tundra:

2011 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Jul 292016

Tundra

Power steering fluid drained out of the reservoir and into the rack and pinion boot. There were no evidence of fluid leaks until the rack and pinion boot exploded on the driver side. The vehicle was in park and when I turned the steering wheel completely to the left is when the boot exploded.

- Woodruff, SC, USA

Jul 242016

Tundra

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Tundra. While driving 60 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The contact pulled the vehicle over to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Sapulpa, OK, USA

May 022016

Tundra

Rack and pinion seal failed, lost all fluid, lost power steering on highway.

- La Feria, TX, USA

Nov 052015

Tundra

Rack and pinion seals failed causing the power steering fluid to leak inside the boots on the end of the rack and pinion assembly therefore not leaking onto the ground so there was no indication of a problem until the power steering fails to work properly while driving the vehicle. Toyota is aware of the defect but refuses to admit there is a faulty part or design problem.

- Mt. Pleasant, TX, USA

Jun 122015

Tundra

While driving my power steering began to fail. After inspection a power steering leak was discovered on the drivers side rack and pinion under the boot.

- Florence, KY, USA

May 292015

Tundra

Power steering rack seal is blown after backing into driveway. Truck is stock, no modifications.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Aug 022013

Tundra

This safety complaint relates to the "tilt latch mechanisms" of a 2011 Toyota Tundra's steering wheel, the set of mechanisms used to release/safely secure the steering wheel in place. There were at least two parts among the latching mechanisms, one being plastic & the other being a metal alloy, broke off and into pieces. It was fortunate that the problem was found when I went to lower the steering wheel while cleaning my vehicle. Had the pieces shattered and fallen off while the vehicle was in motion, a fatal accident could have been resulted from loss of steering wheel control. At the time of the finding, the vehicle had 37118 miles. Such safety mechanisms ought to be designed with specifications so that they would last more than two or three times of use. I recall, at least once, seeing the steering wheel dropped with the latch lever hanging down half way without anyone touching it within the first 25000 miles.but my assumption was that a technician might have adjusted the steering wheel and didn't latch it back properly. The technician who was working on my repair had told me that my vehicle would be the second vehicle he had worked on for the same issue. And through online research, I have found that while there are not a high volume of complaint of the same issue, there are owners reporting the exact same issue. As the Toyota dealer had told me, their Toyota regional service and parts manager had decided to cover for the replacement of the entire steering column and expecting me to pay for the labor cost. Sharing the repairing cost is not as much of a concern as the major concern of safety. As I had mentioned above, the outcome from the failure of latching mechanism is unlimited, and the cost of such incident(s) could be fatal accident and/or would be many times the cost of repairing the vehicle. Therefore, this serious matter should be thoroughly investigated.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Aug 132011

Tundra 8-cyl

Bought truck new with 99 miles showing, testdrive pulled hard to right, extremely hard brought back to dealership 3 days later to perform its first alignment, they did several that day, more than 16 alignment at that dealership truck still tracks right, every dip in road, any bump, truck veers right, July 2012 I had lemon law proceeding, the man came out and didn't drive, just sat in pass seat, dealership had the truck overnight once in june2012 and once in July 2012 before to fix issue, which did get better, then was denied cause it is under warranty, truck had oil change around nov2012 and I complained again, about front end dog tracking, they said its normal and no fix needed, but the truck was fixed from dog tracking but not put in writing, still veers right, now this truck has had problems like major vibration, replaced driveshaft at 2500 miles, dealership replaced wheels twice trying to figure where its coming from, while braking it pulled hard to right and had to fight steering wheel, now this is from the start it could literally take the car out on the side of you, with a crown or no crown the pulling right is excessive, and was about 80 % worst but I want it fixed correctly, can anyone help me get this truck to roll straight, im at 21,900 miles, yes I have paper work.

- Port Richey, FL, USA

Mar 202012

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving my Tundra when I heard a loud noise. I then lost my steering ability. It was very difficult to make any turns. When I was able to stop, looked under the vehicle and saw some type of fluid leaking very fast. I opened the hood and saw I have no power steering fluid. I had the car towed to the dealership and they said the power steering seal blew causing me to lose my steering ability. I was also told by the dealership that this has happened to at least 600 other cars.

- Westerville, OH, USA