1. new timing gear (1 reports)
2007 Toyota Yaris engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Yaris:

2007 Toyota Yaris Owner Comments

May 022011

Yaris 1.5L Vvt-I

I am quite frustrated at Toyota of Greenville (SC). They are telling me that I need to replace the timing gear assembly on the intake cam because it is locked in place. The VVT-"i", which stands for intelligence (lol), can not hydraulically move the gear to allow the VVT (Variable Valve Timing) to function. Without VVT, the car doesn't run properly and the fuel blackens the internal components while clogging the fuel injectors. The spark plugs looked like they had been powder coated black. Though the mechanic at Toyota of Greenville repeatedly stated that this is clearly a manufacturer's defect, Toyota of Greenville has refused a Goodwill service of the vehicle. They expect me to pay all $600 toward the repair of the vehicle. I offered to pay for the service, but told them they should be held responsible for the part as it is clearly defective. Their response was that they will not cover any of the $600 bill on my 4 year old highway driven lemon.

Toyota, you have lost a valuable customer and gained a true enemy. I have summers off and will stand at the road in front of your dealership with signs explaining to your potential customers why they would be better off in a Honda or American model. You have 0% customer satisfaction from me. Good luck.

- , Simpsonville, SC, USA

Mar 012009

Yaris

The exact year and mileage of my car at the time of the "Check Engine Light" problem is a distant memory, as it started occurring about 2 years ago and I am still dealing with it and being sucked dry by Philpott Toyota. The check engine light came on. I took it to Philpott, who put it on the diagnostics machine and tried to charge me around $75 for that and said all it needed was a new gas cap and the total cost would be around $125. I threw a fit in the sales lobby and they pulled me aside and didn't charge me for the diagnostics. Drove out and on my way home the light came back on. I called immediately, took it back in later, diagnostics again. I can't recall what they said it was that time, but I paid the $100 extended warranty deductible and extended warranty paid around $1,000 for whatever they said it was at the time. Drove out of the shop, light back on. Called and went back again, another diagnostics, and Philpott said it was a vent hose on the gas tank and they had to pull the tank. When they pulled it, there was a teensy tinsy hole in the vent hose caused by a rat biting through the hose. I asked if it could be taped or only the vent hose replaced - Nooo. The hose and the tank, they said, came together and the vent hose could not be purchased separately, as they were one unit. There was nothing wrong with the tank. I threw another big fit which did no good whatsoever. I did confirm that Toyota will only sell the vent hose with a tank, thus an $800 bill, for something that should have only cost me 1.00 for a vent hose. Ripoff by Toyota! My auto insurance paid 80% (yeah Texas Farm Bureau), leaving me to pay the balance. Left the repair shop, light back on. I have another appt. on Monday. Wonder what they'll charge me this time... No more Toyotas for me!!!

- , Winnie, TX, USA