2010 Toyota Yaris electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Yaris:

2010 Toyota Yaris Owner Comments

Sep 162015

Airbag recall is over a year old with no remedy. Also my electric window is subject to recall with no remedy. I want these fixed - it is not safe.

- Venice, FL, USA

Aug 152013

My Yaris has few miles on it. Last August I tried to start the car by inserting the ignition key and turning it. The starting motor ran, but did not seem to engage the engine. I released the key and the starting motor kept running until I physically turned the key back to the off position. This happened several times between August and December. In December I took the car in for state inspection and asked them to check out the starter. They found nothing, but suggested I should replace the battery, which I had them do. All was well until July 3, 2015 when the same sequence happened again. I tried the starer about 2 hours later and all was well. I feel I can not trust the vehicle to start when I need it.

- N. Chesterfield, VA, USA

May 132015

Yaris 4-cyl

I got in my car, started the engine, immediately I started smelling strong burning smell. Than started seeing smoke from the driver door. Within few seconds I started seeing flames. Since I was already on the road, I couldn't just stop the car. The flame got bigger and bigger, in the car cabin, it was fill with burning smoke. I tried to roll down the window, it didn't want to work. I has a cup of coffee in the car, I poured it on the flame and it subsided a little. Than the flamed started to get bigger again and started melting the interior panel of the door including everything around the inner door handle. I parked as soon as I was able to and took a cloth and tried to wrap around the handle to open the door, but couldn't. it was too hot and flames were burning. So I crawled over the the passenger seat and got out of the car. Then went to the outside of driver door and opened the door from outside and took off my shirt and tried to kill the fire. I was parked at a parking lot behind a building at a mall. I reached out for help from the maintenance personnel at the parking lot. They didn't have any tools to help me disengaged the cables from the battery. Finally a lady had a bottle of water that kind of eased the flame a little and a man that was walking by got a tool and helped me dis-engage the cable from battery. The interior panel of the door is melted including the window controls. The window is dark from the flame. The whole car smells like burnt smoke. The fire truck, the police came. The head of the security of the building came. I have a police report and what happened was documented. I need to know what to do now. I have pictures to prove the damages. Please let me know what I should do next. Updatd 07-08-15 updated 9/21/2015

- Kapolei, HI, USA

Aug 232010

Toyota Yaris 2007 was running and the motor shut off. After that situation, no electricity on starter or spark. Toyota dealer said that was a gasoline pump and computer fuse failures. We request Toyota dealer to obtain the pump failure before they replace it, but after they replaced it there was an excused that do not satisfy me.

- Guaynabo, PR, USA

May 202010

Normal driving occasionally causes the ignition key, key tumbler and surrounding metal cylinder to become very hot. This is occurring in a brand new 2010 Toyota Yaris that only has 200+ miles on it. The Toyota service department said they can find nothing wrong. It has happened twice in the month that I own the car and did not happen when the car was at the service dept. They said the voltage was within specifications and that it's normal to get a hot ignition key and tumbler. The car was not in the sun. I don't believe it is normal. I'm concerned about a fire starting. I've been driving for many years and have never had this car problem before.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA