2012 Toyota Yaris electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Yaris:

2012 Toyota Yaris Owner Comments

Dec 052013

I was driving approximately 20 mph making a left turn when the car abruptly powered down the inside lights, outside lights, heat, etc turned off. The vehicle continued to make loud noises as if I was trying to start the car, but I had taken the key out of the ignition. I then noticed the battery warning light was on and then I smelled smoke. I was stuck in the intersection with the car stuck in park I kept pressing the brake, to shift to neutral but the car wouldn't change gears or even turn on at this point. I continued to smoke and I smelled fire so I grabbed all of my things and exited the vehicle. It was raining and a good samaritan popped the hood and the hard cold rain put out the fire. I waited until a tow truck told the car to the dealer. I was told that the battery and starter caught on fire.

- Antioch, TN, USA