8.0

1. replace catalytic converter (1 reports)
1999 Volkswagen Beetle exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Volkswagen Beetle:

1999 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments

Apr 082004

Beetle GLS 2.0L Il4

Check engine light came on, dealer read the code and determined the catalytic converter was bad and had to be replaced. Their cost to replace was in the neighborhood of $1,400 I argued that it should not have gone bad so quickly and that the part must be defective, but you can't argue with the dealer. Car was past the warranty mileage. I found the part online for a little under $400 and replaced it in my driveway. Some months later I recieved a recall notification for this very same problem and VW would replace the part for free or reimburse you if you had the part replaced ...by a mechanic/shop. Since I did it myself, I got nothing from VW.

My Beetle now has 247,000+ miles and I've had to make this repair one other time, probably at around 190,000 miles. During that replacement, 3 of 6 manifold bolts snapped and had to be drilled out and replaced. One was impossible to properly drill out so (because I needed the car) I used a small bit and replacement bolt; as a result, I now have an exhaust leak at the manifold.

Because the Cat is welded to the downpipe, replacing the Catalytic converter is NOT an easy job - at least not in one's driveway; might be easier with a lift(?).

- , Thompson, CT, USA