2000 Volkswagen Beetle body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Volkswagen Beetle:

2000 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments

Sep 012006

Beetle GLS 2.0L

I first noticed a musty smell in my car about a year or so ago, but had no idea why. Then in the car wash I saw water coming in across the rear window ledge on the passenger side. My mechanic said I needed my sunroof drains flushed and did it for $100. Now I've been noticing that the floor behind my driver's seat is wet after a rain. I did some research and seems I'm not alone with this issue. I even received a class action lawsuit mailing regarding the leaks, but didn't have my receipt to prove I had paid money for the cleaning. Plus, I wasn't aware that there are other drains that can leak. I've always had a problem with the driver door lock and the car not knowing I've opened the door and the alarm sounding as if I'm stealing my own car. I wonder if the water leak is related? I still don't get how if the drains are plugged, which in inevitably they will, unless you live someplace dry, how do they leak so water gets into my car? My trunk? My roof? EVERYWHERE! Why did they do this drain thing? Why does my cute beetle have so many stupid design flaws? As a German, I expect more from my Germans.

- , Kennesaw, GA, USA