8.0

$1,000.00

2. replace timing belt (1 reports)
2000 Volkswagen Beetle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Volkswagen Beetle:

2000 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments

Dec 082012

Beetle GLI 1.8t

My friend owned a 2002 Volkswagen 6 Speed Beetle and told me to replace the timing belt before hitting the 100,000 miles. Her husband replaced the timing belt for her and she said that he told her it was a known issue for those cars. My car was a 2000 though......I intended to replace it but didn't even get to it.

At 99,000 miles the timing belt broke, leaving me stranded in the middle of the night while I was on my way home from partying, since it was my birthday in 2 days. SOME BIRTHDAY!! I ended up having to spend 1g on the repairs and was without a car for about a week. It definitely left a sour taste in my mouth. I ended up selling it and buying a 2012 Beetle.......At the end of the day, I'm a Beetle lover but these cars have their fair share of problems, electrical being among them as well.

- , Hialeah, FL, USA

Apr 102011

Beetle 2.0L

$175.00 tow charge.what to look for has me baffled.not timing belt,coil pack,full tank of gas.where did the fuel filter get hidden?anyone else have similar problem ?if so let me know what I need to do now.

Update from Apr 14, 2011: Timing belt was defective