2000 Volkswagen Beetle seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Volkswagen Beetle:

2000 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 012008

Beetle 4-cyl

I have a VW new Beetle and the airbag light came on took my car to the dealer and they say it's not their problem and they want to charge 700 dollars to fix it but the car is expensive.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Sep 082006

Beetle

I turn on my car and suddenly the airbag sensor turn on without reason.

- Miami Beach, FL, USA

Jan 032002

Beetle 4-cyl

Airbag system defective, requiring repairs and replacements, including airbag replacements, 11 different times. Since system does not work and airbags do not deploy when sensors are on, this is clearly a safety issue.

- Dunwoody, GA, USA

Nov 202006

Beetle 4-cyl

I am the original owner of this 2000 Volkswagen Beetle. On July 30, 2001 (mileage 20013) I complained to my dealership that the air bag light was on all the time while driving. They reconnected the wire under the drivers seat stating it was loose, poor fit. On November 15, 2002 (mileage 33164) I complained again that the air bag light was on all the time. They inspected and found two misc. Codes reset and tested, said all is ok at this time. On September 3, 2003 (mileage 41463)I complained that the air bag light was on all the time, again. Dealership tested and said I needed D/D air bag, harness and seat belt replaced at a cost of $675. I declined repair and called Volkswagen. On November 5, 2003 VW said they would repair this problem free of charge for customer "goodwill". on July 19, 2005 (mileage 61130) I complained that the air bag light was once again on all the time. Dealership repositioned connector for drivers side air bag and stated if it comes on again will need new air bag. On November 20, 2006 (mileage 73661) once again I complained that the air bag light was on all the time while driving. I was told I needed a new drivers seat air bag, harness with rewire to control at a cost of $1040. Once again I called Volkswagen and this time I was told sorry, there is nothing they can do to help me. This has been an on going problem with my vehicle and specifically a huge safety issue. Please advise if there is any help you are able to offer.

- Thompson, CT, USA

Jan 202007

Beetle

The airbag light came on in 2005. The dealer said the driver's airbag had to be replaced. Approximately 1 year later, the light came on again. This time the dealer said they "fixed" it. I don't know what they did. In January 2007, the airbag light came on again. I don't know what to do now. I'm worried that my airbags won't work in a collision because I don't know what the dealer is doing and they can't tell me what the continuing problem is.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Nov 062006

Beetle 4-cyl

Air bag dashboard light lit at 24,635 miles. Repair made by dealer 2/9/05 for $308 labor and $44.76 part (small cable under driver's seat). Text on dealer work order: "found the D/S airbag assm. To have a fault in the connector of harness. Removed seat assm and replaced harness. Seat airbag codes. T/drive to confirm repair." At 35,500 air bag dashboard light has lit again.

- Clifton, VA, USA

Mar 012006

Beetle 4WD

Why would I have so much trouble trying to get my Volkswagen airbag light for safer driving. Cannot order the correct parts.

- Monterey, CA, USA

Jul 102001

Beetle 4-cyl

2000 VW Beetle airbag light. My wife's 2000 Beetle's air bag light keeps coming on. It has been back to VW service four times to correct the problem. It started well before the warranty ran out. Each time they replace either the driver seat wiring harness or driver seat airbag or both. One time they replaced the controller. It has happened again and again and most recently they replaced the airbag and wiring harness for the fourth time. This took care of the problem for a week and then again the light comes on. VW has been good to cover these repairs even though the car is now out of warranty but as we see it, the problem has never really been fixed correctly in the first place so it's only right that they keep spending their dollar to get it right. It has been explained to us by VW service that if the light is on, the airbags system will not function in a crash and this causes us great concern. The VW service manager contacted vwoa tech support and they suggested bypassing a wiring connector by running a wire from the controller to the airbag. (sounds like they are grasping at straws). Problem is they want us to pay the $550 to perform this. Vwoa has refused to pay for this procedure. www.newbeetle.org is littered with air bag problems so it is not just our car that this affects. Please look into these problems and make VW accountable for their air bag systems. Sooner or later someone is going to be killed by their airbag failing to inflate. Thank you.

- Timberlake, NC, USA

Dec 311999

Beetle 4-cyl

Consumer states that the indicator light for air bags kept coming on. The vehicle was taken to the dealership to be fixed but light came back on in a couple of days. The consumer stated this problem started soon after he bought the vehicle in 2000 and that it has been happening off and on ever since. The consumer has heard other Beetle owners complain of this problem. The consumer believes that the connection under the seat can be disconnected easily or is too easily damaged.

- New Smyrna Beach, FL, USA

Sep 102004

Beetle 4-cyl Diesel

I just traded for a 2000 Volkswagen Beetle diesel for use at my dealership due to the excellent fuel mileage. The air bag light was illuminated when I purchased the vehicle. The previous owner stated the vehicle had been at the local VW dealer and the dealership personell did not mention the light as being a problem. I carried the vehicle to a local service facility for routine service and asked them to determine the reason for the air bag light being on. They reported that the sensor on the passenger side was defective. I carried the vehicle to the dealer in asheville. They reported that the air bag in the passengers side was defective. I authorized them to replace it at a cost of $566.28. I called VW and the lady stated that they could not reimburse me for the repair since I was not a customer of VW. My company is the customer and it purchased the vehicle for company use. The air bag was defective. Why should my company have to pay for a defective safety product?

- Clyde, NC, USA

Aug 012003

Beetle 4-cyl

I have a 2000 Volkswagen bettle and since the car has had about 30000 miles I have had problems with the air bag system. According to Volkswagen the problem is the wiring for the air bags is located under the seats and because of this I have had the air bag light reset 2or 3 times finally they said I would need a wire harness installed so I paid a couple hundred dollars for that to be done in Aug 2003 now the air bag light is on again every time the light comes on it causes the air bag systme to shutdown this is a big saftey issue since 2/3 rds of the time the car has been on the road the airbag light is on I found out this is a problem with the Beetle and they installed the harness on the new ones to fix this well I had that installed and it is broken again I called VW and they want me to pay another 95 for a diognostic plus and then they will decide if they will repair it at no cost this should be a recalled item it plagues the Beetle and it is a saftey issue and I cant keep paying for the same repair please help me.

- Wabasha, MN, USA

Oct 102003

Beetle

Air bag sensor light continues to illuminate. Dealer states "problem is not a safety issue; " however, consumer was concerned that air bag would not deploy in case of collision.

- Matawan, NJ, USA

Sep 302003

Beetle

Consistent problem with air bag light and engine light comimg on/off while driving vehicle at any speed. Dealer inspected vehicle, and stated that air sensor failed.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 152002

Beetle

While driving, the air bag light illuminated on the dashboard.

- Sparks, NV, USA

Aug 272003

Beetle 4-cyl

The air bag warning light appeared on the dashboard while driving about 55 mph on the highway. Cause was undetermined. The light continued to stay on while the vehicle was running. The dealer fixed the vehicle differently each time. (airbag, air bag harness, air bag connector and the instrument cluster) were all replaced.

- Choctaw, OK, USA

Aug 192003

Beetle 4-cyl

When driving at various speeds without warning the air bag warning light would illuminate and would stay lit for the reminder of the time that vehicle was being operated. Dealer has been notified. Vehicle stalled, bucked, all lights on instrument panel lit up. Failure of window switches.

- Highland, NY, USA

Jul 142003

Beetle

While driving airbag light suddenly illuminated. Consumer states this is an indication that airbag may not deploy.

- Coto-De-Caza, CA, USA

Jul 092003

Beetle

The check engine light and air bag light illuminated on the dashboard.

- Roswell, NM, USA

Jul 112003

Beetle 4-cyl

The air bag light illuminated on the dashboard.

- New Salem, PA, USA

Apr 182003

Beetle 4-cyl

The airbag light illuminated.

- Ocala, FL, USA