9.9

2000 Volkswagen Beetle transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Volkswagen Beetle:

2000 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments

Jul 122008

Beetle

I received a recall about my back or break light. Made an apt. With heritage VW in Georgia. I drove from leesburg al. To the dealership. They change the light and told me a belt has to be replaced. I know nothing needs replacement because my son ( a mechanic ) does all the maintenance in my VW. I told the them I will talk to my son and will get back with them. I had a hard time staring the car, but did not pay any attention because I was in a hurry to get out of there. I was on hwy 20 when every thing went crazy with my car. Lost my cruise control, lost power, won't start. So I called heritage and ask what they did with the car. They want me to bring it back to them, knowing it can't be driven. I feel they sabotage my car, they messed up my car so much, I paid over $3000 for it to work. I kept the receipt just in case I might need it as proof. I received another recall last week it's hard to get burnt twice in a row.

- Leesburg, AL, USA

May 212004

Beetle

Consumer stated that vehicle got stuck in park, and would not move. Consumer called the dealer, and they told her that she needed to take her vehicle to a Volkswagen dealer. Consumer just bought the vehicle in January 2004, and did not take it to a repair shop. However, consumer felt there was a transmission problem.

- San Pablo, CA, USA

Feb 022004

Beetle 4-cyl

Sudden lost of shift ability. Vehicle was parked, shifted it into reverse, backed up, and then shift to forward gear and nothing would engage. Towed to dealer who says linkage cables and shift levers snapped, "frozen" states dealer. Transmission had been completely replaced 3 months ago. Says this is not part of drive train and not covered by warranty. Want $500 for repair.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Aug 032003

Beetle 4-cyl

Brake switch malfunction edon the 2000, Volkswagen, New beetle caused the transmission to stick in park.

- Dumfries, VA, USA

Jul 262001

Beetle

While driving transmission will get stuck without a prior warning. Sometimes will switch into neutral. Vehicle will had to be towed.

- La Crecenta, CA, USA

Apr 042001

Beetle

Vehicle has experienced several problems with the engine and transmission. Consumer was informed that there was an internal problem with automatic transmission which required that transmission be replaced. Also, dealership has informed consumer that head gasket and control valve for the engine were defective. Note: Dealership has been in possession of the vehicle for approximately 30 days.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Jun 012000

Beetle

Engine check light came on. Called dealer, and they said it was normal, it would go off. Car was still stalling, and engine check light came back on. Then, a couple of days later vehicle would not start. Vehicle towed in. After picking up car for repairs it stalled again. Consumer stated there was a transmission noise.

- Monessen, PA, USA