2002 Volkswagen Beetle miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Beetle:

2002 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments

Aug 172002

Beetle 4-cyl

The transmission in my 2002 New beetle fails to engage for a second or two after the car has been sitting for a while. Doesn't do it at other times, only when the car has been sitting an hour or more. Dealership replaced transmission module twice (two different dealerships) and the third and fourth time I brought it in with the same complaint, they said it was normal for the transmission to behave this way. Inherent to the design of the transmission was this small delay for emissions reasons. I am not buying it, not with all the other issues I have had with this car. I have had it in four times for power window problems and getting ready to bring it in for a fifth. The monsoon stereo has been replaced once and is malfunctioning again. The parking brake assembly broke and had to be replaced. Lots of bothersome problems and now I hear what sounds like a valve tap.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Oct 152001

I bought my New beetle brand new in August 2001. The day after I brought it home (over 2 hours away), the check engine light came on. I called the dealer and they said it didn't mean anything unless it was flashing so I thought nothing of it. 2 months later my ABS went out while I was an hour from my house and it had to be towed and replaced. The windows continually go up and down by themself but the dealer can't fix it. I took my car back to the dealer yesterday because it was leaking brake fluid and told them again about the cel light. They then told me I needed to have the mass air flow sensor replace (nearly $400) and that is why my car has been downshifting by itself and losing power while driving. This makes me feel unsafe to drive the car that I had wanted for so long.

- Burkesville, KY, USA