2.3

2004 Volkswagen Beetle drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Volkswagen Beetle:

2004 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Nov 062010

Beetle 4-cyl

Well it has been nothing but trouble. First thing, the transmission went bad and then right after that there was no brake lights. The top will not come down by it self. The dash lights come on ( air bag, brakes, check engine, emissions). Sounds like there are holes in the muffler. Last but not least the right rear window fell down and they won't 800 to fix, there are several complaints about this and nothing is being done.

- Plainfield, IN, USA

Nov 012010

Beetle

2004 VW Beetle - faulty transmission. The transmission shifts violently into 2nd and 3rd gears causing the car to jolt forward. At other times it becomes stuck in 1st gear so as you accelerate from a stop sign you are not able to increase speed enough to stay out of the way of traffic approaching from behind. A multitude of complaints on line for same problem. VW admits transmission problems and shifting difficulty on 1998 - 2006 automatic's. they have extended the warranty for repairs, but only cover the valve box, which according to the local VW dealer is not the problem.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Aug 022010

Beetle

My transmission slams between 2nd and 3rd gear to fix it either need a new valve body or a new transmission.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Nov 082009

Beetle

The problem is regarding my 2004 VW Beetle - transmission. I needed to replace the transmission on my VW at 86,000 miles with no help from VW...the car was running very hard, it would stay in 2 or 3rd gear (though an automatic) and then would go into "neutral"....this happened while driving on highway 95 with high speed traffic. The car was checked by a VW dealer and then tried a few things, but couldn't figure it out...then finally said it needed a new transmission - $6500 without labor! I then brought it to a local aamco and then confirmed the need for a transmission(for a lot less) and they also needed to rebuilt some other parts that were faulty. This is definitely a design issue for VW but they refuse to acknowledge it. This should be a recall and a refund for those of us who have already spent the money.

- Stratham, NH, USA

Nov 282009

Beetle

Transmission failure ----- I bought a 2004 Beetle convertible, it is so cute and I thought it would be a lot of fun. When running cold the car was fine, after warming up, it started jerking and the transmission is slipping. By the way, why transmission is not one of the component in your site? I have to choose unknown/other instead.

- Valley Village, CA, USA

Oct 202008

Beetle

I recently bought a 2004 new Beetle tdi with the dsg transmission for my daughter. The car had approximately 75,000 miles on it when the failure occurred. The car had been maintained at a VW dealer and was in excellent shape. While my daughter was driving to school the dual mass flywheel self destruct and took out the transmission with it. I thought that maybe it was just my bad luck until I googled the problem and found out that many VW's with the dual mass flywheel have suffered from this catastrophic failure. VW of America stated that they were unable to help me with this problem. The VW tdi's are not race cars and this type of failure should not occur on a car that operates at the lower RPM range as these cars do. This is either a design flaw or a manufacturing problem and is leaving people with huge repair bills, $6600 in my case.

- Salem, OR, USA