2006 Volkswagen Beetle seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Beetle:

2006 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments

May 032015

There is a sensor that is connected to my airbag in my car that has gone out 4 times and counting. This "sensor" makes the airbag useless. Within a year to 16 months of fixing the problem, it has reoccured each time. Volkswagen refuses to pay for the parts or warranty them past a year. The part is clearly faulty and endangers peoples lives. This is not a part that should be subject to wear and tear replacement on a yearly basis. Especially with a pricetag of around $650 per fix. With the number of complaints about the same problem online, this should clearly be a recall. I don't understand how it isn't.

- North Hollywood, CA, USA

Jun 102014

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Beetle. The contact stated that the seal from the rear windshield was deteriorating and caused water to enter the vehicle. In addition, the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,000.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Aug 112008

Beetle 4-cyl Diesel

My 2006 Volkswagen Beetle has had 4 failures of the air bag system. According to Volkswagen certified dealerships, the part that keeps failing is a sensor in the seatbelt. When this sensor malfunctions the entire airbag system is rendered useless. It goes off randomly, with no trauma or incident to the vehicle. The part costs more than $600 to fix. I have had it repaired in 2008, 2010, 2013 and now the same part has failed again. Each time it went out it was within a year of the previous failure, although until recently I did not realize that the airbag system was disabled - I waited to take it in because of the inconvenience. The light also randomly turns off one out of every 10-15 drives. The Volkswagen regional case manager informed me that - despite the fact that the part is clearly faulty and has continuously failed due to no fault of my own or any factors I could control - they will not replace it and expect me to pay the cost for the yearly/bi-yearly failure because my car has 102,000 miles on it. The failure has nothing to do with mileage and the same problem was fixed multiple times when the car had lower mileage. (plus, I purchased the extended warranty to 100,000) this part clearly needs to be recalled. I have seen hundreds of postings from other people online suffering from the same issue and Volkswagen is sticking the consumer with the bill for their shoddy workmanship. When I asked "if I pay to fix it now, will you be covering the rest of the replacements it will obviously need down the line?" the answer was a "no." It is a serious safety issue that needs to be handled by some body with authority over this company. The vehicle is not meeting basic safety standards. I maintain the parts of my vehicle each year that I am required to - Volkswagen needs to do their part to make their vehicles work properly.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 212013

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Beetle. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the air bag warning light illuminated. The contact was concerned that the air bag could deploy inadvertently or would not deploy if involved in a crash. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the mechanic stated that the seat belt buckle assembly would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 55,141. The VIN was not available.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 182012

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Beetle. The contact stated that the air bag off warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they informed the contact that the seat belt sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Mar 082011

Beetle 5-cyl

I own a 2006 VW new Beetle convertible. The air bag warning light started to light intermittently and now it always remains lit. I have taken it into my VW dealership a few times for this issue. At first, they were able to reset the code and the air bag light went out. However, the last time I went in they were unable to reset the light. To correct the problem, the VW dealership says that I need to pay them a signifiicant amount of money to troubleshoot and correct the problem. I have never before had a problem with any air bag warning lights on any of my other vehicles. I believe that this is a definite safety issue that is caused by the unreliability of VW's design implementation of their air bag safety system. People should be able to have high confidence that their safety systems will be utra reliability throughout the life of the car and should not have to expect to pay additional for that assurance. My daughter was just in a minor rear end collision. The air bags did not deploy either because the collision was insufficient to set off the air bag system or because the air bag sensor light was on. Thankfully, my daughter was no seriously injured.

- Round Lake, IL, USA