2008 Volkswagen Beetle electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Volkswagen Beetle:

2008 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments

Aug 132014

Beetle 5-cyl

Rear driver's side window stuck on convertible Beetle, would not roll up or down. Had window regulator replaced--$400 two months later, rear driver's side window again stuck. Made appointment to have it looked at. Day before appointment driver's side window stuck in open position. Would not roll up. Informed that I need new regulator for that window too, another $400. Back window just needed to be adjusted. Seems like this is a flaw in design. When will it be recalled and flaw fixed? I live up North. So glad this didn't happen in subzero weather!

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Mar 012014

Beetle 5-cyl

Love my VW Beetle convertible but this is the 4th window that has stopped working and with the prices to fix them well over 300 I have about had enough. After looking on the internet this seems to be a common problem that has been happening for awhile. Is there a recall on these window regulators? if not there should be!!!

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jan 012012

The contact owns a 2008 Volkswagen Beetle. The contact stated that while having the vehicle examined by an authorized dealer, he was informed that the starter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. A few months later, the contact attempted to start the vehicle and the key would not turn in the ignition. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

May 122011

Beetle 5-cyl

Faulty ignition coils, car will stall during driving in the middle of the road. When the weather is hot and after one -two hours driving stop and go the engine will stall or misfire. VW dealer identifies the problems by misfire of coil but replaces only one coil. The problem comes back within 2 month with different coil. VW should replace all 5 coils in order to avoid damage or accidents.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Nov 152010

Sensor lights come on intermittently. Not consistent and go days between repeat issue. ABS/brake/esp: Comes on and when car is restart will not duplicate. Dealer replaced module and it came on again. Seat belt alarm: Will alarm even when seat belt is fastened. Airbag sensor: Came on then, when car was restart it would not duplicate. Happened 3 time in a week. Headlights replaced: Both replaced twice in one year. Locks: Will lock/unlock while driving when they already had been locked.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

May 312009

I currently own a 2008 VW beetle and it's an automatic. When first getting the car I could tell the transmission seemed not smooth at all. When driving through an intersection from a red light my car had trouble when pressing the gas. It had a pause. Then when going down the high way when I was changing lanes to go infront of someone I pressed the gas and my car jumps. This happens all the time. Not something that happens once and a while. It happens every time I drive my car. The dealership replaced the transmission at on 5,000 but the problem still happens! then going down the road in the pouring rain my windshield wipers stopped working. They had to replace the motor. When I went through a drive through I rolled down my window and it made a horrible grinding noise that I thought the window was going to shatter. They had to replace the window motor. Then the same exact thing happened to the passenger side front and back window. Both my head lights keep going through $20 bulbs. They had to replace the fuses. On my convertible top the side covers stopped going in and out. They had to replace those. Then on my way to work all the lights for the what gear you were in blinking. Which caused me to have the car towed because it was running in emergency transmission mode. They had to replace something with that. Right after that was replaced going down the road my car made a grinding noise so I turned around to take it back and it was something with the fuel intake that they had to replace. The dash board lights go on and off. The dealership said they could not find anything wrong with that.

- Hiram, GA, USA

Apr 152009

I purchased a 2008 New beetle in 2008, trading in a 2005 New beetle convertible model. I have also previously owned a 2000 model. After about two months of ownership with the 2008 New beetle, I began experiencing problems with the key not being able to turn in the starter. I found I had to use a great deal of force and over the course of the next four months broke two keys off in the ignition. In March 2009, I was down to my last key when the starter became stripped, with the key spinning and not triggering the starter at all. At this point, the car was towed to the VW dealer, which ordered a replacement starter. I waited 17 days for the repair to be completed because, I was told, there were hundreds of backorders nationally for this starter part. When I received the car back with the new part, I immediately began experiencing the same problem. I also noted the same problem in two loaner cars (2009 models of the VW New beetle) provided by my dealer. I never experienced this problem with my 2000 or 2005 models. I called to report this to the dealer and was told to call VW. I just called VW and they advised to take the car back for possible replacement of the part again. I told VW I would do so, but that I lack confidence that yet another replacement will solve the problem as I suspect there has been a change of design affecting the part. I asked VW if they had knowledge of a problem and was told they don't track warranty repairs for possible part problems, so I decided to file a complaint here.

- Bel Aire, KS, USA