4.4

2008 Volkswagen Beetle lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Volkswagen Beetle:

2008 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments

Jun 012016

Beetle

The passenger-side headlight has repeatedly failed over the 3 years I've owned this convertible. I have spend almost a $1000 to have various related parts replaced and the light fails to work (I.e. it is never just a blown bulb) within a few months. Most recently June 2016.

- Ooltewah, TN, USA

Jul 082009

Beetle

Both headlights either burnout or lose connection. It happened 4 times during warranty and an additional 8 times after warranty period. Numerous contacts at the dealer resulted in conversation that VW would not recognize this problem. It is clearly evident to me as an automotive engineer and a registered professional engineer that the locking assembly is not adequate to lock the assembly into the required position.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jun 022014

Beetle

The 2008 model for the VW Beetle appears to have a design flaw regarding the headlight assemblies. We have had to replace both assemblies because the "headlight buckets" come loose from the power supply inside the fender where the housing units are connected. This issue means that when you hit a bump, the lighting assembly comes loose and headlights fail to operate. At night, this is extremely dangerous! I have contacted VW about the issue and I am supposed to hear back from them. I have had both assemblies replaced with brand new units and the same issue occurs. Most people probably believe their headlight burned out and have it replaced. When the headlight is replaced, the unit is removed and plugged back in and can easily mask the real issue. There is a flaw in the design and a continuous connectivity issue with these parts! VW needs to issue a safely recall and fix this so our headlight assemblies remain plugged into the power source!

- Wyomissing, PA, USA

Jan 222010

Beetle 5-cyl

My VW beetle is a 2008. I just had the 6th light replaced on 03/23/12. Took the car to be inspected and replaced the 7th light on 03/26/12!! I am not sure of the actual date of the first blown light. However, I do know that 7 running/headlights in less than 4 years is not normal!

- Rochester, NY, USA

Oct 012009

Beetle 5-cyl

This vehicle has been taken into a dealer's service department for six headlamp repair/replacements in 2 years (Oct 2009, Nov 2009, Apr 2012, Feb 2011, and Dec 2011). The last time, both headlamps went out almost at once, creating a real driving hazard since it was at night. This headlamp is not easy to repair - evidence the damage done in replacement of the right headlamp by one dealership and subsequently repaired by another dealer's service department. VW of America has offered a one-time payment that should cover up to four additional headlamp repairs. To me, this represents an acknowledgement of a fundamental design flaw, but without formal recognition or publication of the problem. Several public blogs exist that highlight this condition. I purchased another, non-VW new vehicle on the same week, and it has never had a headlamp outage.

- Renton, WA, USA

Jan 032011

Beetle

Rear suspension makes squeaking noise. Tire pressure indicator on after 2 hours of driving. Head lights too weak bulb for front or rear or reverse always needs replacement inside hand rest too weak design always break. VW service station too expensive and wants money only. 2)fix it yourself. Keep doing it till I cannot sell it. 3) fix it your self. Yes would like to have the manual so I can do it professional myself. 4)in little rock the North point service station is the worst VW station.they only want money even to fix or in inspect or find out what is at fault. Buying VW means do the repairing yourself. Parts too expensive.

- Carlisle, AR, USA

Nov 152010

Beetle

Sensor lights come on intermittently. Not consistent and go days between repeat issue. ABS/brake/esp: Comes on and when car is restart will not duplicate. Dealer replaced module and it came on again. Seat belt alarm: Will alarm even when seat belt is fastened. Airbag sensor: Came on then, when car was restart it would not duplicate. Happened 3 time in a week. Headlights replaced: Both replaced twice in one year. Locks: Will lock/unlock while driving when they already had been locked.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

May 312009

Beetle

I currently own a 2008 VW beetle and it's an automatic. When first getting the car I could tell the transmission seemed not smooth at all. When driving through an intersection from a red light my car had trouble when pressing the gas. It had a pause. Then when going down the high way when I was changing lanes to go infront of someone I pressed the gas and my car jumps. This happens all the time. Not something that happens once and a while. It happens every time I drive my car. The dealership replaced the transmission at on 5,000 but the problem still happens! then going down the road in the pouring rain my windshield wipers stopped working. They had to replace the motor. When I went through a drive through I rolled down my window and it made a horrible grinding noise that I thought the window was going to shatter. They had to replace the window motor. Then the same exact thing happened to the passenger side front and back window. Both my head lights keep going through $20 bulbs. They had to replace the fuses. On my convertible top the side covers stopped going in and out. They had to replace those. Then on my way to work all the lights for the what gear you were in blinking. Which caused me to have the car towed because it was running in emergency transmission mode. They had to replace something with that. Right after that was replaced going down the road my car made a grinding noise so I turned around to take it back and it was something with the fuel intake that they had to replace. The dash board lights go on and off. The dealership said they could not find anything wrong with that.

- Hiram, GA, USA