3.2

2010 Volkswagen Beetle steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Beetle:

2010 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments

Jul 052015

Beetle

After driving for 2 hours in 80 degree weather, I stop the car to fill for gasoline, and when starting the car to drive forward on my trip, the steering wheel erratically moves on it's own, and then the power assisted steering goes into a fault thus losing all power steering. I have been to numerous VW dealers over the past 3 years for the same problem, and has never been resolved. When I called Volkswagen corporate, they tell me there is nothing they can do to resolve this issue. The fault code clears itself so that when it is brought into the dealer, the dealer does not see any problem with the steering the car cannot be operated safely without the power steering, and this should be a vehicle safety recall, since driving his vehicle could cause a fatal accident. I also have a video recorded on my phone of the latest incident.

- New Rochelle, NY, USA

Jul 072011

Beetle

Noticed a similar complaint and wanted to add that since owning the 2010 VW Beetle, when the temperature gets very warm, the steering wheel lock feature is very difficult to disengage, causing the ignition key switch to remain locked. I have been dealing with this for 4 years as the dealer showed me how to disengage the locked steering wheel (press brake pedal, turn key in ignition) but had no response to the temperature situation. I am not an idiot, I am short though, so it is very difficult for me to get in and out of the car without bumping the steering wheel and locking it. As I keep the door open (air brings inside temperature down), I sweat away as I wait for the brake to disengage the lock so I can turn the key. Annoyed.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA