3.1

2013 Volkswagen Beetle fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Volkswagen Beetle:

2013 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments

Mar 072016

Beetle

First this is my 2nd complaint on this sme vehicle. I also posted last year on this site when this vehicle stalled in middle of freeway going 60 mph. Now this car has trouble starting. Especially after sitting a few days. Was parked at airport parking for 4 days. Sputtered a few minutes before starting but finally started. Drove 30 miles in rain & stopped to get gas. Then the car would not start. All lights came on. Got several warnings like "key not in range" but it was in range. "stability control error" lots of clicking sounds but engine wouldn't start. Have to have towed and take back to delearship. I see lots of service bulletins on this site for this same issue. Not sure if it's the fuel pump, starter, or something else.

- Parker, CO, USA

Jun 192015

Beetle

Driving 60 mph in rush hour 6/19/15 & suddenly eng lights go on & car stalled in middle of traffic! I was scared I was going to be rear ended & killed. Put flashers on called 911. Police parked behind me while I waited for tow truck. Officer asked to try & start to see if I could get to side of road. I was able to start it, but only drive a few feet before stuttered & died again. Had it towed to tynans VW, where it was purchased & reg maintained. Next day VW verified engine light was on when they started. However, they claim it went off when they drove a few miles. Code indicated issue related to fuel system, however they weren't able to find anything wrong with car. They kept car a few days, drove it 90 miles w/ no issues. I contacted VW Corp & reported incident & explained dealer can't figure out what's wrong. I explained I'm not comfortable driving car until they can determine why my car stalled. They said it was likely debris in gas that could've caused fuel not to flow properly - really" they wanted to know what brand of gas I used - conoco - brand name. This is serious! my car stalled for a reason, something failed. I realize cars breakdown, I have no problem, as long as the issue is identified & fixed. I do have a problem, however, w/VW handing car back to me not knowing why it happened. Told to bring it back if it happens again. If it happens again, I may not be so lucky. What if this happened on mountain pass? in the snow? or in middle of a busy intersection? research, you will find other fuel issues & stalling complaints, & recalls for other VW cars tiguan, passat etc. No recall for fuel/stalling issues on Beetle..yet.I do not want myself or anyone else to become a statistic before VW identifies the problem. GM failed to recall the Chevy cobalt. They knew about issue for 10 yrs before recalling, after 13 people died. Is that what you're waiting for VW"

- Parker, CO, USA

May 152014

Beetle 4-cyl

Preparing to enter freeway when engine sputtered, "check engine" light came on and engine quit running. Stuck in traffic until fire dept. Came by and helped push to the side of the road. Outside temperature was 101F when this occurred. Had towed to local VW dealership, who informed me the high pressure fuel pump failed causing metal debris to enter the fuel system. They replaced the entire fuel system to include the pump & injectors. They also dumped the fuel that was in the tank. The tank was full of diesel, less 45 miles, when this happened. There has never been gasoline put in this diesel tank.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA