2012 Volkswagen CC engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Volkswagen CC:

2012 Volkswagen CC Owner Comments

Mar 012016

CC

2012 VW Cc with 72K. Always maintained at the dealership and oil change was done every 5-6K only at VW dealer. Issue stared T traffic lights, car stopped and when started it was running very rough. Sounded like running on 2-3 cylinders. Took the car to the deanship, found 8 codes, mostly misfires on all 4 cylinder and also issue with camshaft timing. Dealer told that they need to take the engine apart to diagnose the issue, cost $1200 just for diagnoses. I called VW America they suggested to take the engine apart and based on the problem they will conditioner if they will agree to help. Dealer proceed with diagnostics and found the issue. Broken bracket screen of part number 06H-103-144-J bracket. The missing screen was not found at all and this part failure caused more damage so I also needed replacement of the camshaft part #06-H109021K, valve and many other parts. Please see attached pictures of the damaged parts (internal engine parts) and invoice of what was replaced. I did some research and found that Audi with same engines used exactly the same part number that failed in my vehicle and they had issued recall campaign 15D6. VW not willing to help or cover the cost with explanation that vehicle is out of warranty even Audi uses same engine and they are same company. I do have the old parts with me and I see that the part which was originally installed in my vehicle is 06H-103-166-G and the replacement part based on the invoice is 06H-103-144-J, the one that is part of the Audi recall. I was lucky that the issue happened at the traffic lights. I worked with regional case manager and her supervisor but they were not willing to do anything even when I mentioned the Audi recall. My case number with VW America is 160174354. Total cost for this repair and rentals has cost me $3100

- Keego Harbor, MI, USA

Sep 272016

CC

Two days after returning from a trip with no issues. I went to start my car and it would crank but not fire. I had it towed to a VW dealer who was supposed to do a multipoint diagnostic. I was called and told the engine lost compression and the timing chain stretched causing damage to the cylinder head. The estimate was over $7000. I called an independent mechanic who was surprised to hear of the timing chain failure with that low of mileage, 73,000. He called back a few min later and told me of a tsb on the timing chain tensioner and also that there were lawsuits for this exact thing. Upon doing research I found multiple lawsuits, a settlement in 2014 in which they paid all repair costs and reimbursements. The lawsuit indicated that VW has known about a defective timing chain tensioner for years and have not put out a recall, nor even let their customers know of this potential. They do have a replacement tensioner available which does indicate they are aware of the problem. I asked the dealer tech how he diagnosed the problem and said he listened when he went to start and put a scope in the oil dip. With that small amount of time, he came up with a stretched timing chain and damaged head cylinder, and a major repair cost. I spoke with the service manager and asked about the defective tensioner and he denied any knowledge, which I find highly unlikely, due to the length of time this has been going on. I have a call into VW customer care asking for them to fix it at no cost due the defective part. This is a very large issue that can result in not only a high cost, major damage to the engine, but could also result in engine power, steering and brake capacity which is a catastrophic safety issue. This is an issue that needs to be communicated, and should be fixed by VW prior to any resulting damage, and more importantly any injury or loss of life.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Sep 102016

CC

Timing chain tensioner problems. Huge noise on engine start, engine shaking. Repairing cost too high.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Jul 012016

CC

!. since the purchase of my car I had complained numerous times about the sluggishness of my car, stohlman admits there was a problem but would not repair because the engine light was not on, according to them. Engine came on, took it to a dealership closer to home same thing, would not address the misfiring issue. Mind you, my car was still under warranty. Now the engine light stays on, now warranty has ended. Several cylinders misfiring. I want stohlman to correct the issue. My tire pressure screen never read the same number since purchase, I had spoken about this too but was always told that the heating and cooling off of the tires will give different readings. The car has to returned less than a month of purchase because of a clunking sound. They claimed that they did the inspection the qualify the car as certificated, I truly do not believe it. I am tired of the issues and need resolution. There was no way you could avoid the sound, they got the car in March 2014, I purchased in May 2014. Also, I had to constantly put air in my tires.

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 012015

CC

The contact owns a 2012 Volkswagen Cc. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle lost power. In addition, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to move forward. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the cylinder, alternator, battery, and multiple parts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who confirmed that all the diagnosed parts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 51,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Aug 152015

CC

The contact owns a 2012 Volkswagen Cc. The contact stated that after the vehicle was started, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that after attempting to leave the dealer, the vehicle failed to start and was towed to an independent mechanic where the engine was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Oct 152015

CC

In a front end collision while slowing down on interstate 84, on October 15, 2015, the air bag did not release. This resulted in a fractured sternum and a hospital stay. The police report with the Connecticut state police is case number 1500606623 per article in usa today -- 8.15.15, this car is included in a recall due to airbags not deploying.

- Woodbury, CT, USA

Apr 012015

CC

The contact owns a 2012 Volkswagen Cc. While driving at various speeds, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate and stalled. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was unable to restart. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000.

- Denver, CO, USA

Oct 042015

CC

Ignition coil failure. My car started stalling, idle and I wasnt able to drive faster than 20 miles

- Farmigville, NY, USA

Sep 282015

CC

My vehicle first had an ABS light illuminate which caused an ABS failure. I've read this is a common problem. Then most recently I had an epc code illuminate in addition to a check engine light. This caused the car to lose RPM and start misfiring. I had to replace all 4 coils on the vehicle. While at the shop my air conditioned stopped working correctly only functioning when on the 4 position. I hate this care more than anything and can only pray that VW may find it in their heart to buy it back!!!!

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Nov 202014

CC

Car drove fine in the morning. Drove it an hour later and it started to violently shake back and forth and the check engine light came one and started to blink and the epc light came on. Drove, slowly, to the dealer and was told ignition coils shut down and were mis-firing. After I picked it up, it started happening again and one misfired again. Fast forward 2 months and we had a dead battery at 4800, after driving all day. Fast forward a month and it started to shake again. After more than a month in the shop I got it back. It still shakes in the mornings sometimes. If I have to take it in again, I am sure it is a lemon. Ive never had the same persistent problem on a car in my life! needs a recall!!!!!

- Olympia, WA, USA

Apr 162015

CC 4-cyl

My vehicle has been a problem since I started my lease til now. I have constant problems with my light bulbs even after they are replaced they go out quickly and often. The car has stalled on me twice and cut off twice. I have multiple trips to the service center for the sme things fuel injector pump and the check engine light. This is a fairly new car. I am now stuck with the car for another five years. I will never purchase another volkwagen or refer anyone to buy one either. I would like my history to be pulled and reviewed as a audit. I truly believe I bought and lemon and it has cost me lots of money. I truly would like these problems investigated for the sake of every volkwagen customer.

- Springfield, NJ, USA

Jan 082015

CC

Dead battery at 37,200. Had car towed to local service shop and battery replaced. Drove home fine and next morning commuting to work, car started shaking and bucking violently. Check engine and epc light came on. Was able to drive very slowly at very high RPM (on interstate and then side roads) to get back to auto shop that replaced battery. They found ignition coils shut down and mis-firing. Transferred car to VW motor hunt valley to see if covered under power train warranty. One coil found dead, other 3 recommended for replacement. Not covered under powertrain warranty. Thanks for your help.

- Timonium, MD, USA

Oct 292014

CC

The contact owns a 2012 Volkswagen Cc. The contact stated that the catalytic converter warning light illuminated on several occasions. In addition, the vehicle shook violently and jerked as a result the vehicle failed to drive over 30 mph. The contact also stated that the vehicle decelerated independently and stalled. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the manifold, four spark plugs, the intake air box, and the intake charge pipe were replaced. The computer was also reset. The contact stated that one year after the repairs, the catalytic converter warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be carbon cleaned. The spark plugs and the battery were replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 48,661.

- West Chester, OH, USA