2013 Volkswagen CC engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Volkswagen CC:

2013 Volkswagen CC Owner Comments

Nov 092015

CC

At about 43K miles I was driving on a multi lane highway when the car started violently trembling/jerking then sputtered and turned off. I was able to turn it back on and get onto a side median. The car continued to jerk I drove to dealership immediately a few miles away. By the time I got there it was no longer jerking and only random misfires in the engine where found on diagnostic testing. The car since before that time and still has a low level but noticeable tremble when it is idle. I have been to the dealership several times to have it addressed but they claim to not be able to reproduce the problem.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Aug 242016

CC

I own a 2013 vc Cc with about 76,000 miles on it. Car is an excellent condition and is still pretty new when suddenly my car began to shut off while driving. There were no progression of problems. The issue occurred suddenly. While driving on the road or while stationary at a red light, all the sudden while attempting to accelerate, the car would begin jerking and the engine would just rev up as if the car was in neutral position until eventually shutting off and parking and engine indicator lights would turn on. If I was stopped at a light in drive position, the parking light would suddenly turn on and I would have no mobility of the vehicle. The car would still be on, but would not move. I would have to position it in park, restart the vehicle and it would jump start before the same problem occurred again and again and again. After taking it to the dealer, I was informed that I would have to replace the mechatronic unit, which is basically the computer that controls the transmission. Replacement costs were $1800. They were generally unsure of why a new vehicle would have these issues, mentioning it may have been water damage from street flooding or moisture getting into the unit. Either way I feel in a brand new car, these issues should not be occurring and are extremely dangerous if I had been driving on a highway and then the vehicle suddenly shuts off.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Jan 152016

CC

While driving at about 45 mph the engine light came on with the warning to take car to the dealer for service immediately. I did go, immediately, and while the service manager could not tell me exactly why, I was charged $600 to replace pistons. About two months later while driving slowly in a parking lot, I started to turn onto the driveway and the car simply stopped, went dark, and the steering became impossible. After trying several times and then sitting for about 5 minutes the car started again. It was a leased car that I intended to buy for my daughter. I turned the car back in and did not buy it.

- Naples, FL, USA

Jul 212015

CC

Engine stalled and died in the middle of city hwy, twice, while vehicle was in motion, without any prior warning, took to dealer they said it might be the alternator & only replaced the battery, it was such a scary situation, I have not driven the car on the freeway since. Recently, the car has stalled again, while in motion in middle of traffic vehicle was towed to dealer, accoring to dealer, there is carbon build up in valves & coil pack failure, not covered by warranty due to 'maintenance issue' nowhere in owner manual does it state any form of maintenance required for this, took car to independent certified mechanic, sparkplugs & 4 coil packs replaced, same symptoms continue with #4 plug burning out, causing fuse to burn out as well, filling car with smoke & smell of burnt rubber, ind mech. States vehicle's prob is not carbon buld up but an electrical/engine issue which is a safety hazard, the last time, veh stalled on me in middle of crossroad, whle in moion. I do not feel safe driving it or riding my kids in it. At this moment veh is sitting in driveway, undriveable for about 3 weeks, will not turn on, all this, after having the vh for on ly 7 months, & @ over 40K miles.I feel that even if it were repaired, this veh is so unsafe it should not be resold to anyone else, or be in circulation at all. I tried returning it to the dealer, the dealer offered to take it in as a trade in offering half the trade in value due to 'condition it is in' even though I have taken it to dealer at East 3 times with issues. Main concern is the stalling while in motion, I feel it is an extremely unsafe vehicle.

- Alton, TX, USA

Jul 312015

CC

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Cc. While driving approximately 35 mph, the engine stalled without warning. After several attempts, the vehicle restarted. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the diagnosis was unknown. The contact stated while driving at an unknown speed, the brake pedal was depressed however, the vehicle accelerate causing the vehicle to crash into a grocery store. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to her hand that did not require medical attention. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the diagnosis was unknown. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 14,200.

- Dickshill, NY, USA

Mar 172015

CC

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Cc. The contact stated that while stopped at a red light, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Bossier City , LA, USA

Aug 222013

CC 4-cyl

Excessive high idle causing car hard to brake. I need to constantly apply high brake pressure to keep the car stopped. Idle stays above 900 RPM all the time.

- Alhambra, CA, USA

Jun 302012

CC 4-cyl

The engine stalled while driving( speed 5-10mph). Steering wheel immediately automatically locked, lost control over the car.the computer showed a problem with the battery (the sign was displayed for a few seconds). Pushed the brakes - brakes worked. Removed the key and started the car again, the car started up and everything has stabilized.

- Saint Augustine, FL, USA

Apr 022013

CC 4-cyl

I bought a new VW Cc that is a 2.0T and has a manual transmission. Before buying and just test driving the car, the car drove just fine. The issue is that after the car warms up for a while, the rpms will hang for a few seconds after you let off the gas. This causes many safety issues and I have now found out that all VW cars made in 2013 with the 2.0T engine have this issue. I almost crashed the car due to this issue a couple weeks ago when in slow stop and go traffic. Not only is the rev hang is wearing out clutches prematurely and makes these cars very difficult to drive, it is also a safety concern since the engine keeps the throttle open for a few seconds after we let off of the gas. The car just drives on its own like it has cruise control on for a few seconds!!! if you are driving the car in the snow and the wheels are spinning and losing traction, they will continue to spin for an extended period of time after you let go of the gas which can cause you to crash. Google "VW rev hang" my car has been back to the dealer a few times for this and they claim that no issue was found. I then test drove other 2013 VW cars with this engine and found that all of the cars I drove have the RPM hang issue. I have owned 7 cars with manual transmissions in the past and I have never seen any other car do this. I still have my 2006 VW 2.0T car with a manual transmission and that car drives just fine. Please look in to this issue and understand that it is a safety concern that affects all 2013 VW cars with 2.0T engines that are sold in the us with manual transmissions. People on the VW forms believe that this was put into the cars to help with passing new us emissions. I understand the importance of better emissions. However, I do not think that drivability, reliability, and safety should be sacrificed in order to get better emissions.

- Landing , NJ, USA

Dec 172012

CC 4-cyl

The vehicle began showing signs of malfunction in August of 2012 (vehicle was leased the end of June) when it would take several attempts to start the vehicle and once started the vehicle would occasional cut off or run really rough for about 30 minutes. The engine light stayed illuminated for 2 days. I took the car to the dealer to have it serviced and after 2 days they were unable to replicate the problem. Returned vehicle to me with no resolution. Car ran fine for 4 months then on December 17th the same issues began to occur but more severe this time. I was traveling on a rural highway at 45 mph when the whole car shut off leaving no power, braking or steering capabilities. Luckily there was no one right behind me and I was able to coast the car to the side of the road. I put the car in park and ejected the key. Restarted the vehicle and limped the car back to my driveway as it would not go over 30 mph with the pedal pushed to the floor. The vehicle remained in service for 2 days and the dealership diagnosed it as a fuel module issue, replaced the module and returned the car. On Saturday December 22nd the same issues occurred again. The car was taken back to the dealership for a 3rd time and remained there for 22 days as the mechanics could not replicate the issue again. Finally the problem was diagnosed as a crack in the wiring harness and vibration was causing the wire to touch the engine and stall out. The crack was fixed with tape and the wire routed away from the engine. I do not feel comfortable driving the car to and from work as I travel on very Suburban roads to get there. Volkswagen is not willing to take the car back as they feel the issue has been resolved. A vehicle that completely shuts off at high speeds is a severe concern.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA