2009 Volkswagen Eos drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen Eos:

2009 Volkswagen Eos Owner Comments

Jun 232016

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Eos. While driving various speeds, the gear selector moved from the drive position into neutral independently. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V330000 (power train). The contact stated that the failure recurred twice. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 128,251.

- Sparks, NV, USA

May 012016

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Eos. While parking, the gear was shifted from park to reverse and the transmission abruptly went into neutral. In addition, the selector lever position indicator light flashed and the depressed brake indicator light flashed. The failure recurred. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 09V333000 (power train). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 152015

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Eos. After the vehicle was shifted into the reverse position, the vehicle failed to move. The gear selector box and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was restarted and operated normally. On another occasion, while driving at a slow speed, the vehicle lost power and the gear shift box illuminated. The contact mentioned that the failures recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and an independent mechanic where the technicians stated that the gear shift box, dual clutch, and transmission possibly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V333000 (power train). The failure mileage was 79,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 152015

The transmission abruptly goes into neutral wile in freeway.according to a recall from the NHTSA, my car has exactly the same problem, a lose wire in the transmission. The dealer says the recall is no longer active, and would not fix it. "???". the car will do this in bumpy roads.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 012015

At times, the vehicle will not go into reverse. The gear display blinks and the vehicle must be shut off before being able to eventually go in reverse. I brought the vehicle into a Volkswagen service center and was informed of the extended warranty regarding the dsg. However, Volkswagen has informed me that since I did not have the dsg serviced at 40,000 miles, it would not honor the extended warranty. I was never informed or the recall and the required work was never performed on the vehicle despite the fact that I purchased it in October 2012.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Nov 062015

Driving 60 mph during rush hour traffic on highway when suddenly engine reved prnd lights started blinking and car had no power. I managed to get to shoulder and the car would drive 20 mph on shoulder. Faster the engine reved. VW says recall on 2009 Eos does not include my VIN number. I could have been killed if the people behind me didn't manage to avoid hitting me. VW will not assist me because my power train warranty ran out at 100K miles. My car has 103K. I am concerned that more cars were involved in the recall. Flash of death article by abc news is exactly what happened to me on Nov 6 2015. VW says my car is not affected. I disagree.

- Elkridge, MD, USA

Jul 102015

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Eos. The contact stated that the vehicle drove roughly and hesitated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was not able to replicate the failure. On another occasion, while at a stop and depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the accelerator pedal required excessive force. In addition, the vehicle stalled on several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was awaiting a diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Dana Point, CA, USA

Oct 062013

I was driving home from baltimore on the freeway going about 70mph and the vehicle started losing speed and nothing I did would get it to go again. I had to pull over put the car in park, shut the car off and then I was able to go again. This happened about 6 more times driving home to pittsburgh. I went to the dealer and they "fixed it". it worked for a short period of time. Then it happened again and they couldn't find anything wrong with it so they put seafoam in my car. It happened several more times and they had my car for months. They think the seafoam hid the problem for almost a year. They replaced fuel injectors and that helped for about 400 miles. Then they replaced the part that is the equivalent of a caarburetor. This fixed it for about 5 months this time. I just made a trip to Chicago and thank god this did not happen there as I would have been killed. Now I am at 85,000 and it just happened on August 6, 2015. Once again VW corporate is not being of much assistance. I was told by VW coporate in February 2015 to dump the car and they would give me $1,000 off a new VW. This is unacceptable. This car is not safe and I am not getting anywhere with either the dealer or VW corporate. I have read other blogs and I know that I am not the only Eos owner having this problem. Will this take GM or Dodge deaths to get someone's attention? I really hope I am not the person killed.

- New Kensington, PA, USA

May 082015

The car lurches forward and bucks on full stop and take off. I have contacted a VW dealer and gave me a possible fix for $1800.92 but this may not fix the problem. It may also need a new clutch. This is a known problem that VW is aware of but will not recall and repair. This complaint is to document the problem once again and suggest that VW be made to fix this before someone is killed if they haven't already been.

- Greenfield, MA, USA

Aug 012013

Eos 4-cyl

August 2013: 2009 VW Eos abruptly lost power, would not accelerate, and the dashboard (prnd) flashed erratically; happened numerous times since. A VW master mechanic of 14 years told me that the dsg temperature sensor should be repaired and mechatronics unit should also be replaced. He advised I take the vehicle to a dealer for the recall/warranty repairs. Prestige VW, turnersville, NJ told to replace the transmission (5700 dollars), due to "internal transmission issues". no definitive problem identified.I was then told they would contact vwoa so they "could go to bat for me" because they understand that "no one buys a Volkswagen expecting the transmission to go at 74K miles". a claim would be submitted on my behalf; due to new VW policy they 'must' use a third-party claim service-VW would no longer accept direct claims. I called the dealer several times and was put off each time promised a return call. It has been nearly 5 weeks and nothing has been done. I called vwoa directly, they indicated that they I) have no record of a claim initiated by the dealer; II) do not require dealers to use a third-party claim service; and III) rely on their dealers' determination of problems. I am seriously concerned for my and my child's safety. Last week, my car abruptly slowed in 65mph traffic on route 295 in NJ; I was almost hit by a car behind me due to this malfunction.VW refuses to address this;I hope the NHTSA will take action and address these concerns before someone loses their life to this transmission malfunctioning.

- Deptford, NJ, USA

May 252013

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Eos. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the engine rpms increased and the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer fifteen times for diagnosis. The technicians replaced a fuse in the power supply relay but was unable to diagnose further failures. The failure continued after the repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 38,514.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Sep 252013

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Eos. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph the transmission abruptly shifted into neutral with a reduction in the engine power. The vehicle began to lunge forward. The entire instrument panel warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road and towed to an authorized dealer. The technician stated that the direct shift gear box was faulty and required the replacement of the transmission. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 09V333000 (power train). The VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Council Bluffs, IA, USA