2.9

2005 Volkswagen GTI electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Volkswagen GTI:

2005 Volkswagen GTI Owner Comments

Jul 102010

GTI

My cars electronics would shut off while driving, a few times the car completely stalled while I was driving. The alternator the Volkswagen puts on the automatic Gtis are too small to power everything in the car. They put a 90amp on the car, when it needs something bigger, auto part stores sell a 120 amp. I brought my car to the VW dealership I bought it from, and the guy that sold me the car told me "there is no one here that cares about your problem" so I went home and called VW national office, they took all my information and said they would look into it. During the time they were looking into the problem my battery wouldn't stayed charged, so I bought the 120 amp alternator and a new battery and just replaced them myself. I agree with the other person that complained about this, only happens when it gets really hott outside and you have to run your ac at a higher speed.

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA