2008 Volkswagen GTI fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Volkswagen GTI:

2008 Volkswagen GTI Owner Comments

Sep 122013

Shortly after purchasing my 08 Gti with the fsi motor, I was searching the internet for common issues to watch out for. The cam follower which sits between the camshaft and high pressure fuel pump was seen multiple times online as an issue due to wearing through allowing the cam shaft to interact with the pump. I asked a VW dealership about the problem and they told me that earlier models were covered under warranty, but 2008 was not due to the problem being fixed by the factory for this year. I decided to check anyway and found that the follower was completely worn through allowing the cam shaft to interact with the pump. This was at 56K miles. When I returned to discuss this with the dealership they said that there was nothing they could do. This shows that the problem wasn't solved, and while earlier models are covered for their damage if something goes wrong due to metal shavings in my engine, or other issues I'll be forced to pay out of pocket. I am now replacing the follower myself every 15K just to be sure, but the fact that one year isn't covered is not right. Since the issue persists they should cover it.

- Patchogue , NY, USA

Nov 172014

GTI 4-cyl

Vehicle required extra cranking before starting. Upon starting and beginning to drive, there was lack of power and rpms did not want to go above 4K. After approx. 1/4-1/2 mile engine began to respond normally. Took vehicle to dealership for diagnosis. Told the high pressure fuel pump, cam follower and cam needed to be replaced due to cam follower losing hardness and wearing through causing fuel pump to run directly on cam. Fuel pump arm was worn and also scored cam. Was told that 2006-07 model years had extended warranty from VW to fix this but 2008 did not. In model year 2009, a completely different system was used. I believe that my engine still contained the defective parts and VW internet forums also have extensive mention of this problem in 2008 models. I also on many occasions have taken vehicle to dealership for routine maintenance and was never informed that I should have the cam follower inspected for wear. This is a $60 part that could be replaced before it wears through. Instead, I have a quote from the dealer to replace not only the cam follower, but also the high pressure fuel pump and the cam for slightly over $2,000. I took the vehicle to an independent repair shop and was told that because there are also metal shavings in the cam housing that I should also replace this along with some other misc. Parts. The housing part alone is approx. $1,600. I am replacing the fuel pump and cam follower and will be checking the parts for wear every 10-20K miles. Reported this issue to VW customer care and was told that my VIN did not fall into the range for the extended warranty so there was nothing they could do. I did receive a "coupon" for $500 off a new vehicle purchase but not sure I would buy another VW after this experience.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA