2009 Volkswagen GTI brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen GTI:

2009 Volkswagen GTI Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 132015

GTI

2009 Volkswagen Gti - ABS control module or pump failure. Under normal driving conditions, several dash lights came on including "brake" and "ABS", as well as being accompanied by beeping. The ABS system in the vehicle was no longer active as soon as this happened. Once the car was turned off and back on, the lights were gone and ABS was active. Now, in any inclement weather, this happens and immediately disables the ABS, which is a huge safety hazard. Volkswagen does not currently acknowledge this issue.

- Rippey, IA, USA

Aug 122015

GTI

ABS and traction control warning lights on the dash had intermittently appeared on several occasion over the past three months while driving at various speeds and conditions. The warning lights would stay on until I turned the car off. Once restarted the lights would be off. On 12-Aug-15 the same warning lights came on when I started the car. They remained on after turning the car off and restarting. Three warning beeps were then heard at several minute intervals until I reach my destination. Other warning lights came on briefly then went out. I was informed by a mechanic that the ABS control module had failed. Based on an internet search I understand this is a common issue with the 2009 VW Gti.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jun 132015

GTI

One or more of the breaks locked up on the car. The ABS, epc, traction control, and a number of other lights on the car lit up and began flashing. The car's speedometer and fuel guage stopped working. After the car was restarted most of the errors went away but have since reappeared. Based on the number of posts I'm finding online, this appears to be a wide-spread problem with the 09's.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Jun 012015

GTI

ABS warning light started coming on. Then a warning light that the right, rear turn signal had failed. One week later the entire dashboard is covered in warning lights, including a "faulty engine workshop" warning light. It appears that ABS control module has failed, leaving me with no ABS braking on a well maintained, 50K mile car. This seems to be rampant problem with the tsi mkv Gti at this mileage. VW of America offered me no assistance. VW should recall this part before they see any accidents lead to serious injuries.

- Evanston, IL, USA

May 222015

GTI

The ABS module failure has been reported many times online. The module will fail causing ABS, traction control, power steering, and engine lights to all come on. Much of the dashboard is lit now. The car reads "engine fault workshop" and the speedometer will drop to 0 mph. The fuel gauge will change from empty to 3/4 to 1/2 while driving. Audible beeps are heard from dash.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Apr 242015

GTI 4-cyl

I purchased my 2009 Gti Feb 2015 and the carfax was great; however, the ABS control module randomly failed about two months later causing lose of steering and control, this occurred while driving in traffic and it was very scary. Loud warning beeps went off and warning lights started flashing. The warning lights continued flashing until I turned it off. When I restarted the engine, the warning lights were no longer lit and drove it home. I tested my car again minutes after arriving home. It seemed fine, but then it happened again after just a minute of driving it. I took it to the VW dealer service center. They diagnosed the issue to be the ABS module. It needs to be replaced and the cost is $2,260. I called VW and they do not cover the repair costs. This needs to be addressed immediately considering the numerous complaints and the danger this malfunction imposes.

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 182014

GTI

While driving North on I-895 at 55 mph, nearly all of my warning lights appeared on the dashboard, along with "engine fault workshop" on the mass display. The VW dealership indicated that it was the ABS control module. Upon research online, this appears to be a common issue with 2009 VW Gti's. some have reported that the their brakes have completely locked up on them. I called Volkswagen of America, and they deny any issues with this.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Nov 182014

GTI

When braking in slippery conditions, the ABS light, brake light, and traction control lights come on and the ABS ceases to function, allowing the brakes to lock up and the car to slide. The lights reset when the car is turned off and on but the failure happens every time ABS should be engaged. Effectively, the ABS does not work.

- Akron, OH, USA

Nov 052014

GTI 4-cyl

While driving at highway speeds, multiple dashboard lights indicating loss of traction control, anti-lock brakes, and power steering were illuminated. This then caused issues because those systems are not working while the speedometer (would stay at 0mph when driving) and the fuel gauge (moved around randomly from 1/4 to 3/4 full). Looking into this issue I found that several owners of the same make, model, and year have had the exact problem as me.

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Nov 042014

GTI

I was traveling East in the right lane on interstate 44 at approximately 0645 in the am. It was normal heavy morning work traffic going into Oklahoma city, traveling the posted speed of 70 mph. I was following a full size pickup truck and moderate traffic was passing me on my left. Without notice, traffic suddenly slowed to approximately 40 mph, causing me to hit my brakes hard. The ABS system engaged and my car was thrown sideways off the road at approximately 70 mph. I pulled the car back left, causing vehicles in the left lane to swerve to miss hitting me. The ABS and brake light illuminated on my car, indicating a failure however, a dummy could figure out the brakes were not working. There is no doubt in my mind, had my car been thrown left when I hit the brakes I would have been smeared by on coming traffic, likely a fatality. I immediately took my car to Volkswagen and was told I needed a pump/ABS module; a 2500 repair. Understand when I shut the car off and turned it back on, the ABS/brake fault lights clear. I had no indication my ABS system was malfunctioning until I needed brakes. And bam!. after reading forums, its apparent this is an on going problem with 2009 Gtis and it should be an immediate safety concern of Volkswagen. Someone is going to get killed. I've asked for my old parts so I will have them when there are court proceedings against Volkswagen for the injury or death of someone as a result of a failed ABS system. This really does need investigating. Thank you

- Tuttle, OK, USA

Oct 052013

GTI

I was driving around a turn at roughly 60mph on a highway off-ramp during dry conditions when the dashboard chimed and several warning lights illuminated. Both the esp and ABS lights lit and remained lit continuously, and the brake light began to blink continuously. The car still drove normally, so I continued to drive another five minutes to my home. Upon turning off the ignition completely and restarting the car, all three indicator lights were cleared. This same incident occurred on numerous occasions over the following months, during snowy/icy conditions. On any slippery road surface during heavy braking, the three indicator lights would illuminate and the dash would chime. This fault was always cleared by simply restarting the vehicle. However, the ABS system never functioned properly; the brakes would simply lock up when this fault occurred. I brought the vehicle to a dealer to have a proper diagnoses completed, at which point it was determined that the ABS module was faulty and needed to be replaced. The repair cost was estimated at $1700. I contacted VW's corporate North american office several times through phone call and mail, and I was denied coverage or payment assistance, as the vehicle was beyond the bumper-to-bumper warranty. I decided not to worry about the problem until this winter, but last week I had the fault occur again when driving at about 55mph on a wet roadway and hitting my brakes hard to avoid a deer that ran across the road. I was fortunate to miss the deer, but the brakes locked up and the rear-end of the vehicle began to slide around before I let off the brakes. I had another dealer diagnose the issue again, and this time they discovered that the ABS pump and module were both faulty. I just had the repair performed at a cost of about $2,450. I feel this is a serious safety issue that should warrant a recall.

- Morris Plains, NJ, USA

Jul 022014

GTI 4-cyl

ABS, traction light, and brake light went on during driving. Many 2009 Volkswagen Gtis have the same problem. Its known an koabs module and pump defective.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 012014

GTI

Faulty ABS control module for 2009 models of the Volkswagen Gti. As a result of the faulty ABS control module, it causes all kinds of other errors in my car, shown in the dashboard. Some are ABS disabled, traction control/esp disabled, check engine light illuminated, emergency brake lights illuminated, hydraulic steering gone, speedometer drops to 0 (can't tell what how fast I'm driving anymore), etc. With all these problems happening as a result of a faulty ABS control module, how is this issue not addressed yet" why hasn't there been a recall for this put out yet" this will definitely result in an accident either for me, or one of the many others who own 2009 VW Gti models in the future, and I hope that it will not have to come to this before VW does a recall on this.

- Apo, AE, USA

Dec 102013

GTI 4-cyl

Was driving and hit a patch of snow as I brake and my car slid a little and the anti lock brakes did not engaged and I just kept sliding almost hitting a car and all the lights on my dash turned and there was a loud beeping sound.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 082014

GTI

On 8/8/2014, I turned on my car to go work. Once I turned on the ignition/engine, all warning lights (power steering, engine, electronics, ABS, esp and braking) came on or flashing. After several attempts (3 times) to restart the car, the warning lights came on and off periodically. With a last restarting attempt that morning, all warnings lights went away and I drove off to work. In the middle of the way, all warning lights came back on again. This time, power steering, ABS, speedometer, gas gauge, etc. All malfunctioned periodically during my drive. During the drive, I had no idea how fast I was driving or how much gas I really had and with no power steering and ABS etc. I did arrive at work safely but not without some serious and perhaps dangerous maneuvers with a nonworking power steering, ABS, and other electronic components. I took the car to a VW dealership in braintree MA the next morning. After a weekend of diagnosis and a random repair to the ignition switch, the dealership told me it was the ABS control module fault and it needed a replacement. Since that VW dealership was not able to give me a precise diagnosis without repairing random parts of my car and had me paid for it, I took the car to another VW dealership in danvers MA. After hours of diagnosis, I got the same result that the ABS control module is at fault. I had the dealership replaced the ABS control module and paid thousands for the repair. Now the car is running fine. But knowing that the ABS control module fault is very common among my model of the car at all mileage from research and talking with local mechanics, I want to make aware of this problem and the dangers behind a random failure in the ABS control module that can cause failure of both electronic and mechanic components in the car which can lead to serious accidents, injuries, or even deaths without slightest warning on the road.

- Quincy, MA, USA

Mar 052014

GTI

About a month after buying the car during one of the larger snow storms this year in va. I was on my way to work and was stopping at a stop light when I get "christmas lights, " on my dash, beeping three times and flashing ecs, as well as ABS. I drove to work without huge incident knowing my ABS and ecs were turned off at this point, and parked to see if turning the car on and off would reset the lights. I didn't worry until the next morning when on my home after a 12 hour night shift when it happened again, this time I was moving and trying to slow down on ice after the night of snow, as soon as I hit the brake the dashboard lit up again, causing me to slide into a curb, almost hitting another car. I then did some research and found it to be a faulty or bad ABS control module, I then took my car into VW a few weeks later to get serviced for the issue, and they could not reproduce the problem. I have since shipped the car to spain while I am here for a couple years and have reproduced the problem without ice, snow, or even water, twice in a week period. Now since my car is not covered under a certified pre owned warranty while in spain I will have to pay out of pocket to get it fixed, something that is obviously a safety issue! here is a link to others who've had the same problem: www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?T=151505 as you can see, it is S problem that has been fixed with a new part. Making this a pretty good reason to be recalled.

- Fpo, AE, USA

Jul 142014

GTI 4-cyl

ABS light on and brake light blinking without any reason (sometimes it disappear), dealer said I have to change ABS module.

- Monterey Park, CA, USA

Jul 132014

GTI 4-cyl

When I started the vehicle after it had sat for a week without starting, warning lights appeared for ABS, traction control, and brakes. I drove it around the block to test things out, and things seemed to be running pretty much like normal, so I drove it to a mechanic. They ran a diagnostic, and 8 codes came up, all having to do with the ABS system. It was determined that the ABS control module would need to be replaced. I didn't want to do the repairs at that mechanic, so they told me I could drive the car, but that I wouldn't have ABS or traction control. Upon driving it a few miles, the lights turned off, and everything was functioning as normal. When I started it the next day, the lights were back on, but I decided to drive it to work, based on what the mechanic had told me. About a mile down the road, the speedometer stopped working, and the car then began to change gears at random, which presented an all new safety risk. At this point I also lost power steering. I managed to pull over and turn off the car. When I started the car again, just the brake warning lights were on, so I decided to drive home, considering I was only about a mile away. Everything was functioning properly on that drive. My complaint mostly has to do with the ABS control module, as it appears that this is a relatively common issue for this model year, and it definitely puts people at risk, especially if it is affecting other systems, as well.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 012013

GTI 4-cyl

ABS control module fails, causing esp and ABS system to be disabled until ignition is restarted. Happened over a dozen times during the winter. Fault is noticeable by blinking lights that do not turn off until ignition is restarted. I would usually do this while rolling on the highway, which is not difficult with a manual. Dealer fixed this saying it was a wiring issue by cleaning the module and re-attaching it in the spring for free. The issue started again in may, and the dealer did not acknowledge that the ABS sensor faults were related. I started to get the winter blinking light faults again. I paid out of pocket $600 for the part, and about $500 for labor to get the revised module installed, which I saw was the proper fix other dealers were doing for people still under warranty.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 172013

GTI 4-cyl

Several 2009 Gti owners are reporting that they are having issues with the ABS control module. Upon loss of traction, the ABS control module can generate a faulty signal, causing the ECU to disable ABS, and traction control. This has happened to me several times now especially during the winter when roads are slippery and it is needed most. The following is the common cel code: 1 fault found: 01130 - ABS operation 008 - implausible signal - intermittent address 03: ABS brakes (-----) labels: 1K0-907-379-60ec1F.clb part no sw: 1K0 907 379 ae hw: 1K0 907 379 ae component: Esp mk60ec1 H35 0104.

- Maple Grove, MN, USA