2009 Volkswagen GTI engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen GTI:

2009 Volkswagen GTI Owner Comments

Apr 112015

GTI 4-cyl

Driving at speed, the ABS control module randomly fails, causing ABS brakes to skid under hard braking. Lose of steering and control is the result. In addition the partial steering is affected. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen, I can not understand why Volkswagen of american does not replace faulty units as this can cause fatalities and injuries. Many people are replacing these units through non-certified technicians, or diy. This should be installed by a VW certified tech. NHTSA should mandate a recall or someone could get seriously injured or die. There are so many cases of this floating around the internet forums and other social media. Does someone have to die for people to finally listen"???"

- Walnut, CA, USA

Oct 192014

GTI 4-cyl

Instrument panel displays check engine light, steering light, ABS light, traction control light, brake light, tire pressure light. ABS no longer works in a hard brake situation, wheels lock and car will skid. Engine also refuses to rev past around 3900 RPM unless manually upshift to a higher gear. Steering assist no longer works.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jul 132014

GTI 4-cyl

When I started the vehicle after it had sat for a week without starting, warning lights appeared for ABS, traction control, and brakes. I drove it around the block to test things out, and things seemed to be running pretty much like normal, so I drove it to a mechanic. They ran a diagnostic, and 8 codes came up, all having to do with the ABS system. It was determined that the ABS control module would need to be replaced. I didn't want to do the repairs at that mechanic, so they told me I could drive the car, but that I wouldn't have ABS or traction control. Upon driving it a few miles, the lights turned off, and everything was functioning as normal. When I started it the next day, the lights were back on, but I decided to drive it to work, based on what the mechanic had told me. About a mile down the road, the speedometer stopped working, and the car then began to change gears at random, which presented an all new safety risk. At this point I also lost power steering. I managed to pull over and turn off the car. When I started the car again, just the brake warning lights were on, so I decided to drive home, considering I was only about a mile away. Everything was functioning properly on that drive. My complaint mostly has to do with the ABS control module, as it appears that this is a relatively common issue for this model year, and it definitely puts people at risk, especially if it is affecting other systems, as well.

- Houston, TX, USA