2010 Volkswagen GTI drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen GTI:

2010 Volkswagen GTI Owner Comments

May 052015

The car sputtered, shook, and made an awful sound similar to a ton of marbles in a drier machine. The timing chain went at roughly 82,000 miles. According to VW literature they stated that the reason they went back to a timing chain is that it is a lifetime, nonserviceable part. The timing chain going on an interference type engine destroyed my engine to the order of almost $4000. VW did not want to assist with anything.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Jul 102013

The first incident that I had was starting with the car making weird noises that were coming from the engine/transmission when the car would start. It is hard to explain the noise, but it sounded like something was winding up. I took the car to dealership. They weren't able to establish what was wrong with the car. Check engine light didn't come on, and car did not reproduce the same noise when I took it to the dealership. I was told that they couldn't see anything wrong with the car. 09/05/2013, more noise, and this time was followed by hard downshifts, and hard bucking. Every time the car would accelerate, or if you were coming to the stop, it would shift hard, car would buck. I was told that the dsg mechatronic unit has failed. Transmission replaced 04/09/2014 my wife was driving the car. Speed 45 to 50 mph. She noticed that the car wasn't able to accelerate. Engine was revving up, but car wouldn't go. Pulled over on the shoulder, before someone rear ended her. She looked at the dash board, and she noticed that "D" was flashing. She took the car to dealer to see what is going on. I was told that a power supply relay was the cause of this problem, and it wasn't covered by the power train warranty. Part # 4H0-951-253-a relay car was picked up on 04/24/2014 05/08/2014 I stopped at the red light, was going to make a right turn, but the car wouldn't want to accelerate. It felt like it was in neutral. Engine was revving, but car wouldn't move. I looked at the dash board, and "D" light was flashing. I pulled onto the side of the road, so I don't get rear ended. I tried to select the neutral gear, "N" was flashing. Each gear position that I selected was flashing. I drove the car back to dealer, and told them what have happened. Car is currently at the dealer.

- Kirkland, WA, USA