2.8

2012 Volkswagen GTI electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Volkswagen GTI:

2012 Volkswagen GTI Owner Comments

Dec 152013

GTI

The contact owns a 2012 Volkswagen Gti. The contact stated that the vehicel dailed to start. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 212014

GTI

Engine started shaking / running rough. Significant power loss during acceleration / takeoff. I was not far from the dealer when it happened - I drove it in right away and the diagnosis was bad ignition coil. Since then, over the next 6 months, I replaced (on my own) the remaining 3 ignition coils as the originals would fail. It costs ~$18 to buy a new ignition coil (versus $50 from the dealer). However, I was driving with spare coils in the trunk.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 022015

GTI 4-cyl

This morning on the way to work, I experienced shaking and hesitation upon accelerating. I turned around and went back home and immediately got the car into the dealer. I was told that the number 2 ignition coil was failing, which was causing the problem. I looked up the problem and found this link: www.vwproblems.com/trends/ignition-coil/ which specifically instructs to contact you to file the complaint. I bought the car on 9/30/2011 brand new. I am not sure the life of the ignition switches, but the car is technically out of warranty, and repairs are being filed under my extended warranty.

- Kansas City, MO, USA