8.0

1. my problem was bad distributor cap (1 reports)
1997 Volkswagen Golf engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Volkswagen Golf:

1997 Volkswagen Golf Owner Comments

Jun 262007

Golf 2.0L

In "humid weather" the engine runs rough, check engine light comes on. The code indicates a problem with the Mass air flow sensor. Bought some MAF cleaner took it out and cleaned it and it seemed to work for around 6 months and now it's back to the same thing. I installed all new Ignition wires but that didn't seem to help at all.

Update from Nov 18, 2010: My problem was a bad distributor cap… more specifically that cute little black thingy right in the center of the cap that makes electrical contact with the rotor was cracked/broken. I had looked at this before but the last time I looked at this, that part fell off in my hand. No choice but to replace it and the car has worked great ever since.

- , Watertown, WI, USA

Dec 032008

Golf CL 2.0L 4 cyl

My car shuts off or runs extremely ruff when there is barely only moisture in the air. Sometimes it doesn't start when its wet.

- , Fort Saskatchewan, AB, Canada