2001 Volkswagen Golf lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Volkswagen Golf:

2001 Volkswagen Golf Owner Comments

Dec 092004

Golf 4-cyl

The brake light switch failed to operate on my car and needed to be replaced. Since owning the car, I noticed hat the brake lights only came on if the brake pedal was pushed all the way to the floor. I was able to stop the car at stop lights (provided I slowed down) without ever having the brake light come on. I realized this when someone almost hit me. A friend verified that the lights didn't come on unless I pushed the pedal down to the floor. I thought that maybe this was normal for this car. The problem was fixed when I noticed a bulb burnt out, but the dealer told me they switch at the pedal needed to be replaced. As soon as it was replaced (for 90.00), the brake lights come on immediately when I put my foot on the brake. I then realized that the part was probably defective from day one. I also realize that I was lucky no one hit me before. The date I had it fixed is below - there was no particular "incidence."

- Boston, MA, USA